corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Protein Powders...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Protein Powders...
Root

User status: Offline
27th Jan 13 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My job is an asda dot com delivery driver. It's harder work than you think, I don't sit on my bum all day, a lot of council houses order bulk cat food or pop. So I've lost 2 stone in the 3+ months I've worked there.

I was thinking, instead of going to the gym and paying them (which I barely have time for), why not, use a protein mixture....while I'm at work?

I'm not being funny, but I've lost a fair bit of weight and often my muscles and back ache after a shift, I don't just drive my van, I have to sort the orders (involves lifting), consolidate them (lifting), load my own van (lifting) and deliver them (lifting), so I guess I could see benefits from the extra protein..?

Now, back on topic...Does anybody have any suggestions about which brand to buy? In my childhood I was very skinny, I've gone up to 15 stone or so and now I'm down to 13, I'm not concerned about my weight, I don't know why I would like to put on muscle, I am not unfit, I guess mainly to look good, keep fit and help me in my job. Also strengthening my back wouldn't go a miss as I really don't want it to fail on me in the future, so a bit of extra power there would be great.

Any comments, advice etc all welcome, thank you

[EDIT] - I posted this in off day instead of sports day as I hoped to get more replies, I don't think it's quite the criteria for sports..

[Edited on 27-01-2013 by Root]
Tiger

27th Jan 13 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think you'll be able to make the gains you wish through protein and your day job, it's just not that simple.
Root

27th Jan 13 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I don't think you'll be able to make the gains you wish through protein and your day job, it's just not that simple.

I just wish to stay in shape and hope to put on a slight bit of beef.

My job does involve a lot of manual labour for a long shift duration, more than a lot of people think. There is no doubts in my mind that I cannot put on muscle through the work alone, I just think that a protein mixture could benefit this

I don't have the time for the gym no more, because I work every day to pay off my debts.

Also, even if I don't make improvements on my appearance, I'd like to improve my fitness, apparently protein helps burn fat as well as build muscle. I'd also like to build the muscles that I use every day for work, making it less work / painful when I lift a heavy load.

So, just looking for a tried and tested brand name to buy, they're all expensive, which is why I'm looking for recommended products

Ben G

27th Jan 13 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I asked the same question a while back and someone said you won't see many gains as your body will.get used to daily manual labour.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

I used to used myprotein whey which was good value and gets decent reviews.

[Edited on 27-01-2013 by Ben G]
Root

27th Jan 13 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I asked the same question a while back and someone said you won't see many gains as your body will.get used to daily manual labour.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

I used to used myprotein whey which was good value and gets decent reviews.

[Edited on 27-01-2013 by Ben G]

I don't think my body can ever adjust because what I have to carry, varies from drop to drop and shift to shift.

Sometimes people will order crisps and other light normal things, I could carry 4+ crates of this. Sometimes people order cat litter, pop and beer, because it saves them carrying it home, which I might only be able to carry 1 crate at a time.

There will always be a bigger "challenge" as the weight varies and instead of using the sack barrow or carrying one at a time, I like to get the job done asap, so it is always going to challenge me. As said anyway, even if the only benefits I reap are going to be, less aching at the end of the day due to the same muscles being built through extra protein, it's worth it for me.

I'll go and research the product you've mentioned anyway, thank you.

Also, what's your job and are you used to it? Do you still come home with aching muscles? My only thought is..aching muscles = they are being torn and rebuilt, why not throw protein in there to help it? Going to buy a protein powder tub or two this payday regardless, I just wanted some opinions on brands and such and whether a £50 tub compares to a £25 one.

danny_vx

27th Jan 13 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't go wrong with my protein impact whey, cheap and has good reviews.

It looks like you've already made your mind up that your going to take it, I personally don't see much benefit in getting more expensive whey if the protein count etc is the same as a cheaper one.

From what I've seen, usually the most expensive supplements have extras thrown in like creatine, etc.
sc0ott

27th Jan 13 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will do nothing.

Lifting boxes wont do anything to your shoulders, chest, legs. At best maybe your forearms and biceps but wont be anywhere near as much as a gym.

If your muscles are aching id says thats a sign of lifting too much, not because your muscles have been worked out.
Russ

27th Jan 13 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do what you can with what you've got..

you wont get hench from it, but theres no reason why you cant modify the way you carry stuff
BarnshaW

27th Jan 13 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you want to put on muscle then bite the bullet and pay £30 or £40 a month a join a gym? its that simple really, as scott said you will really be wasting my your money by taking protein shakes and just lifting a few boxes at work and walking round all day.

you would be even better by not getting the protein powder at all and using that money to sign up to the gym if your that tight.
Tiger

27th Jan 13 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I know is when I go to the gym (every other day) by the time I'm leaving my muscles are physically shaking all over from doing reps to failure and pushing it. I don't get that even when I do a physical day at work.
baza31

27th Jan 13 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drastically need to start exercising. Even though I work far too much it isn't same exercise. Can't you buy a multi bench to save on gym fees
baza31

27th Jan 13 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
do what you can with what you've got..

you wont get hench from it, but theres no reason why you cant modify the way you carry stuff

Danger bench presses- knock on customers door and see how many bench presses you can do with their cat food before getting caught
Corsa_Sport21

27th Jan 13 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not jump in the back of the van and use the products as weights.

Sure you could bench press the big bags of pet foot, or bicep curl some loafs of bread.
Tiger

27th Jan 13 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The mechanics of new machines make sure you isolate the muscle group you want to focus on. I use Nautilus equipment at the gym and its top notch. Provided you perform full, controlled reps there's nothing that can come close really. Free weights are great for multiple muscle groups.

What you'll spend on a decent multibench you'll pay for a gym membership for a year.
noshua

27th Jan 13 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're trying to put some weight back on then protein is going to do next to nothing anyway, it only has about 150cals per 40g serving. Better off taking an extra sandwich or two to work.
Dom

27th Jan 13 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
[EDIT] - I posted this in off day instead of sports day as I hoped to get more replies, I don't think it's quite the criteria for sports..

quote:

Sports Day (Moderated by: Ian, willay)
Sport and fitness discussion including personal health, player, team, league and competition chat.

I'm not being funny but you're wrong!
Carl

27th Jan 13 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carrying 15-20kg max every so often is going to do very little.
GTM

27th Jan 13 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said above joining a gym is the only way your going to see any gains. If you just want to gain some weight id stick to foods rich in complex carbs and try to snack on some decent foods while out in the van.

On a side note if you do join the gym i started on maxi muscle cyclone, its a good all on one shake be it a tad expensive.
sc0ott

27th Jan 13 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Youll get a back injury at best carrying more than you need to.

Multi gyms are gash as well but better than nothing a suppose.
Get to the gym and at least you have a better selection plus you can mix things up a bit instead of doing that same on a multi gym, which youll just get used to.

Find a back street gym focused on body building. Mines cost 20 quid a month. Cant argue with that tbh.

[Edited on 27-01-2013 by sc0ott]
Root

27th Jan 13 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
Carrying 15-20kg max every so often is going to do very little.

..And the rest.

Just finished a 12 hour shift. I don't handle the carrier bags, I stack the green boxes about 2/3/4 high and carry them to the door, as a way of getting the job done quicker.

Anyway, I don't want to put on weight and I do have a gym, I just rarely have the time to go. Thanks for input anyway everybody. Suppose I will try get to the gym more often instead then
Hammer

27th Jan 13 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't treat protein powder as a magic tub of muscle builder, it isn't.

I don't see the problem with you thinking you are staying healthy by doing your job if it's moderately active, you will be. Couple that with eating clean, natural, earth grown nutrients and you will see a massive difference in yourself.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Protein Powders... 22 database queries in 0.0090101 seconds