corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Offshore workers, convince me to find some balls

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Offshore workers, convince me to find some balls
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Feb 13 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently started a new career in the offshore industry, they do pretty regular work offshore, and a few of the guys do it.

I can go whenever I like, they will pay for me to do survival etc etc, I just have no balls.

Im more than happy to leave my missus and boy for the maximum 2 weeks at a time, that they do.

I just hate flying, all due to the fact of dying.

Those who do it regular, do you find it ok? Please convince me to do it, I want to earn the money they are offering, so I can provide the family with amazing things.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Seany

17th Feb 13 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I want to earn the money they are offering, so I can provide the family with amazing things.

Thats all the inspiration you need right there.
Cavey

17th Feb 13 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More people die from eating horse meat each year than flying.

If you're really scared of flying or whatever then see a shrink to try and get over it
Dan
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, im concidering booking a private flight on a chopper to get some idea of it, before iget them to pay for it ll and I bottle it

Lee_fr200

17th Feb 13 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flying is pretty safe the helicopters are rock solid too and it's actually an enjoyable experience
Dan
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of the guys say its actually good fun on a chopper. Im less conviced as ive never done it.

The last flight I done was to florida in November, and I was a wreck, doesed myself up on pills to calm my nerves. :/

RichR
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dan, who do you work for and what's your role?
Russ

17th Feb 13 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drive past norwich airport on way to the gym there is always a chopper in bits aslong as you can swim it'll be reet
Russ

17th Feb 13 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

n the period 09 Jan 1997 to 24 May 2010 there were 405 accidents to UK Registered rotary wing aircraft. At least 16 of these accidents are still under investigation.
Included in this group where a number of gyrocopters, which where subsequently excluded from the study. Included are Search and Rescue aircraft and any involved in offshore support, however it was felt that these are exposed to a different set of risks due to the environment they operate in, as such they will be excluded from the statistics generated later on.

This involved 386 helicopters.
Robinson Helicopter Corporation were the manufacturer with the highest number of accidents occuring to their helicopters, being involved in 148.

The R22 was the helicopter type involved in most helicopter accidents during the period, being involved in 101.

The R22 was the helicopter type involved in the highest number of fatal helicopter accidents, being involved in 8.

1998 was the year with the highest number of helicopter accidents there being 40 accidents occuring that year.
2010 was the year with the least number of helicopter accidents there being 4 accidents occuring that year.

Fatal Accidents
Fatal Accidents were studied in more detail than non fatal accidents. Additional data was collated related to aircraft commanders experience and fatalities caused.
There were 40 fatal accidents that resulted in 108 fatalities.

The least experienced commander of an aircraft involved in a fatal accident had a total of 66 hours, the most experienced commander had a total of 15314 hours.

you wont be on an R22 if that helps - offshore work not counted as it skews the figures due to being less safe xx

[Edited on 17-02-2013 by Russ]
Eddx14xe

17th Feb 13 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Way to go Russ
Kerry

17th Feb 13 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More chance dying in a car accident on the way to the airport!
I would be more worried about 2 weeks in confined spaces with lots of men (if I was a man of course)
You get fed well though
fazza

17th Feb 13 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would love to get into that!

What experience did you have to get that role Dan
pow
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Russ, really classy and smooth of you there
Dan
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know where u got that data from, but ive actually read lots of stats.

Its around 54million passengers flown in the last 29 years. 8 Fatal crashes involving 110 people.

That's purely offshore helicopters operating in the north sea.

Seems pretty safe to me.

Kerry, that saying is untrue with choppers. Its actually less likely to crash and die on the way

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you need to do is get over yourself, you either do it or you don't.

Once you are in the aircraft you leave all your trust in the machine and the pilot, you need to realise you have no control in the matter and what happens happens.

I don't fly alot, when I do I enjoy it and on every take off and landing I think about dying but then I just remind myself there is nothing I can do about it - what happens happens.

If you can't get over this fear then you'll just stress yourself too much and all you'll think about is the next time you are out.

Perhaps book some cheap domestic flights up to Scotland/Ireland/Newcastle/Whereever and try to adjust yourself? I hope you can do it.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get me a job
Russ

17th Feb 13 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just giving the man some facts. i deal in facts. fact
Leighton

17th Feb 13 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry

erm
Russ

17th Feb 13 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more chance of jizza da silva being real
more chance that taylorboosh isnt john-d
more chance that jimmy bennet is john-d
Kerry

17th Feb 13 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Leighton
quote:
Originally posted by Kerry

erm

Shhhh you
taylorboosh

17th Feb 13 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Must be odds on to die then
Nath

17th Feb 13 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flying in a helicopter is nothing to worry about. It's just a commute. It won't even register that you're on one after a while. Flying in general is just a chore.
Generation

17th Feb 13 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, what happens, happens.

This is pretty much my mindset for everything that's out of my control. What's the point in worrying about it.
3CorsaMeal

17th Feb 13 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds dodgy to me. Would rather sit safely in an office basking in fluorescent light and monitor glow. Sweet.
sc0ott

17th Feb 13 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Helo,

Watching this alone makes me want to commute to work every day in a helichopter

http://youtu.be/DUlgaA1ccZU

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Offshore workers, convince me to find some balls 23 database queries in 0.0160351 seconds