corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » self teaching on a guitar

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author self teaching on a guitar
KeiranG

User status: Offline
6th Mar 13 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wild stab in the dark, but has anyone taught them selves to play the guitar, just i work with a few lads and they play it and are always talking about gigs and stuff to each other and its got me interested in learning it.
just wanted to know if its difficult??
Balling
Premium Member

6th Mar 13 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried teaching my self but gave up.

Startede out great as it's easy to find guides for the basics, but as soon as I got past playing Wonderwall everything started to become advanced and I had no idea how to keep progressing.

RichR
Premium Member

6th Mar 13 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a mate of mine taught himself using Youtube clips and is now a great guitarist
Balling
Premium Member

6th Mar 13 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably need to mention I have terrible patience for this sort of thing and don't appreciate doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over until it's stuck in your fingers, which I'm pretty sure is a vital part of learning any instrument.

RichR
Premium Member

6th Mar 13 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, to echo the same, this guy has serious insomnia so teaches himself at night to give himself something to do!!
KeiranG

6th Mar 13 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling

Startede out great as it's easy to find guides for the basics, but as soon as I got past playing Wonderwall everything started to become advanced and I had no idea how to keep progressing

thats what im thinking but i weekdays and not weekends, so if i start ive got time and ive got patience to progress smoothly
KeiranG

6th Mar 13 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been watching some clips on youtube, doesnt look too difficult ive watched my dad a few times playing his when i was younger but he doesnt play now and cant remember much about it.

he self taught himself, he just stuck at it in his spare time and ended out pretty good.

i dont aim to be truly amazing i just want to be good and play some songs.

Balling
Premium Member

6th Mar 13 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just go for it. You can get a good basic guitar relatively cheap. So just get going and see if you can get on on your own.

chris_uk
Premium Member

6th Mar 13 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i took lessons when in was 11 for about a year, purely to get out of german classes.. then i kinda got into it and taught myself, listened to music and tried copying it then when youtube became a bit more known i started using that to teach myself.

DaveyLC

6th Mar 13 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling

Same as

Its something I keep revisiting too but I'm sure I'm tone deaf.
KeiranG

6th Mar 13 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
i took lessons when in was 11 for about a year, purely to get out of german classes.. then i kinda got into it and taught myself, listened to music and tried copying it then when youtube became a bit more known i started using that to teach myself.

my dad was trying to make me when i was twelve, and i turned it down, i remember him saying you will regret it, and i do regret it now.
chris_uk
Premium Member

6th Mar 13 at 17:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

although ive been playing for neigh on 20 years, im probably only about 4-5 year good.

i can play lots of solos from bands like guns n roses, iron maiden etc all pretty well but i dont have the music understanding i should have.. i can hear a tune, solo etc, pick up my guitar and within a couple of hours have it practically bang on (as long as its not too difficult) but i soon forget it if i dont keep playing it.
Jamie Walby

6th Mar 13 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not quite the same but I taught myself bass. Only when I started losing interest through feeling like I wasnt progressing any further did I get some lessons.

I havent played for years and have probably forgotten now. Bought a new amp last year with intention to getting back into it properly but playing bass alone gets boring
KeiranG

6th Mar 13 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk

although ive been playing for neigh on 20 years, im probably only about 4-5 year good.

i can play lots of solos from bands like guns n roses, iron maiden etc all pretty well but i dont have the music understanding i should have.. i can hear a tune, solo etc, pick up my guitar and within a couple of hours have it practically bang on (as long as its not too difficult) but i soon forget it if i dont keep playing it.

thats exactly what i want to be like, dont want to be likee super amazing just want some basics on playing solo's and tunes that i could let people listen to and they would recognise the song.
and then when im comfortable at doing that then maybe move on too a higher difficulty like playing the full song.
KeiranG

6th Mar 13 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
Not quite the same but I taught myself bass. Only when I started losing interest through feeling like I wasnt progressing any further did I get some lessons.

I havent played for years and have probably forgotten now. Bought a new amp last year with intention to getting back into it properly but playing bass alone gets boring

were the lessons good. did they like expand your knowledge of playing the bass, or was it stuff you had already taught yourself.
Hammer

6th Mar 13 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm self taught. Had lessons for a few months in primary school, got bought a guitar for Christmas this year and picked up it fairly easily. I don't pick it up often either tbh.

Biggest problem when starting is building up a callous on your fingers, mine were literally bleeding.
KeiranG

6th Mar 13 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
I'm self taught. Had lessons for a few months in primary school, got bought a guitar for Christmas this year and picked up it fairly easily. I don't pick it up often either tbh.

Biggest problem when starting is building up a callous on your fingers, mine were literally bleeding.

what did you or do you use to teach yourself, like books? youtube videos?
Ian W

6th Mar 13 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use a mixture of YouTube, books and get an hour lesson off my mate once a week. He gives me something to learn which forces me to practice. It's a lot harder than it looks but the main thing is sticking with it.
Y869 SRA

6th Mar 13 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried teaching myself and I sucked.
Everything I played sounded flat, I have zero talent there
Hammer

6th Mar 13 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by KeiranG
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

what did you or do you use to teach yourself, like books? youtube videos?

A combination of a book, websites and youtube videos for individual songs.

Perseverance is your biggest attribute learning the guitar but as soon as what you produce sounds like a song you like it gives you the impetus to carry on.
mattk

6th Mar 13 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I taught myself using youtube vids, they only get you so far but as you progress you find you need them less and less. helps alot to know the theory too, that way you can piece things together and create short cuts for your self.

Im pretty decent at it now, if I come accross a chord I cant work out, google always comes up with it
Shelly
Premium Member

7th Mar 13 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brother taught himself using YouTube tutorials too, he can't even read music but he can play most of Oasis, and he's really good at it too.
Adster

7th Mar 13 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 lessons then taught myself! Still cant get the hang of tuning a guitar so still using a machine to get it right.

currently trying to learn the lead to this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgiYBfe6E8
edd1.0

7th Mar 13 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i taught myself , and stopped playing , wish i never stopped now , i would personally get a alright branded guitar set up second hand then you can always sell it on if you decide you dont want to learn any more

this thread has really made me want to go out and buy another guitar now haha

i used to have an epiphone les paul special 2 , which was cheap enough but great for learning on , theres a magazine called total guitar which used to help me.

and some software called guitar pro which is good
Carl

7th Mar 13 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bought an acoustic for 30 quid off a mate, learn the first bar to ode to joy and then gave in, keep saying i'm going to learn! All them years wasted playing computer games could have been put to better use learning things like how to play the guitar etc.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » self teaching on a guitar 23 database queries in 0.0170591 seconds