corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Re-mortgaging

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Re-mortgaging
Kathryn W

User status: Offline
2nd Apr 13 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re-mortgaging where do I start?

Our mortgage is up at the end of July so I believe it’s best to start now in order to make sure things move over in time etc… If we stay with our current mortgage lender (Bank of Ireland) the monthly cost will reduce by £160, but I believe they are one of the more expensive lenders.

What’s the best way to go about at re-mortgaging and what type of mortgage is best in the current market? I think we have around £15-£20k equity.

We’re complete novices at this – and don’t want to be paying a financial advisor something we could do ourselves.

Rob_Quads

2nd Apr 13 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depending on when your mortgage started you might find the rate you are dropping to is better than you can get with a new mortgage.

The generic compare sites are a good starting point.

Best type of mortgage - Your guess is as good as many experts.

I was told I should fix mine 2 years ago because they were all going to shoot up by an, That expert would have cost me £1,000s over the last 2 years!

Personally I can't see any major recovery coming any time soon i.e. 2-3 years so personally would not fix short term unless the rate is an improvement over what you have
James

2nd Apr 13 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm also re-mortgaging at the moment.

I'm only considering fixed or tracker products. I don't think the BoE base rate is going up any time soon but I don't trust lenders enough to choose a discount/variable product, as they can put those rates up whenever they like.

I use MoneySupermarket, I've been monitoring the market for a while now and I think Nottingham BS seem the most competitive at the moment, but it all depends on what your LTV is.

It might be worth giving London and Country a call ( http://www.lcplc.co.uk ), they take a commission from the lender so won't cost you anything, I often find they can't beat MoneySupermarket though.

Keep an eye out for fees, because the rates are so low, lenders are compensating for this by charging huge fees, some up to £2000.

[Edited on 02-04-2013 by James]
John

2nd Apr 13 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't count on the equity either, just coming out of a 2-5 year mortgage on a first house might mean it's not worth quite as much as you think.
James

2nd Apr 13 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also consider the legal and valuation costs. A lot of lenders will pay for this if it's a re-mortgage, but not all do. That could easily add another £500 to the costs.

[Edited on 02-04-2013 by James]
dannymccann

3rd Apr 13 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm also in this situation at the moment, currently sitting on Halifax SVR, can get 5 year fix for 4.79% I think, but over a 12 year shorter period. Looks like all fees are incentivised down to £0 but my family situation may change in the next year so don't want to be tied in to a higher repayment...

Stressful time indeed!

edit - bang on 75% LTV

[Edited on 03-04-2013 by dannymccann]
James

3rd Apr 13 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a terrible rate for 75% LTV. You should be aiming to get nearer 2.5%. I can get 2.79% for 80% LTV.
AndyKent

3rd Apr 13 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where?
Because I'm currently on 3.19% and having searched and searched I can't find anything even nearly as good!

2.5% seems very optimistic.
James

3rd Apr 13 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Where?
Because I'm currently on 3.19% and having searched and searched I can't find anything even nearly as good!

2.5% seems very optimistic.

2.29% here:

http://www.leekunited.co.uk/mortgages/products/new-customers/2-year-fixed-rate-up-to-75-percent-loan-to-value-available-through-branch-network-only

That was with one Google search.
James

3rd Apr 13 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.89% if you really want a 5-year fix:

http://www.westbrom.co.uk/westbrom/mortgages.product?id=5690&insearch=true&changingproduct=&category_id=1
AndyKent

3rd Apr 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok, perhaps I should have added with unlimited overpayments
Gaz

3rd Apr 13 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you have a mortgage 'arranged' so many months before moving over to the new company?
dannymccann

4th Apr 13 at 06:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James, needs to have no or very little 'application' costs, £995 / £1250 probably can't be paid with buttons
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Apr 13 at 07:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
Can you have a mortgage 'arranged' so many months before moving over to the new company?

Usually 3months.

Ring your current lender, get a redemption fee. This may currently have an early repayment figure included, should state in your contract how much. Take that off that's roughly what you will owe when current deal expires.

What house is worth to how much redemption figure you need to pay. Work out the LTV and look at current deals.

I was lucky as my house had increased £12k in value over 2 years so my LTV also went down. Best deal I could find at time was with Nationwide on a 3yr fixed.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
James

4th Apr 13 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
James, needs to have no or very little 'application' costs, £995 / £1250 probably can't be paid with buttons

The bulk of the big fees usually get added to the mortgage. The only problem could be if adding the fee to your mortgage takes you over the LTV that you are aiming for.

New Poll