corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » C20XE questions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author C20XE questions
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th May 13 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been wanting to do a conversion for a while but don't really have the time and I don't think my car's shell is up to scratch.

I've come across what appears to be a very good example of Corsa that's already had a C20XE conversion carried out. Just got a few questions to make sure there's nothing I've missed or anything that rings alarm bells to some of the more knowledgeable on here.

A bit about the car:

ENGINE:

It's a 1989 C20XE engine, distributor and rotor arm type.
Fairly sure the conversion was done by a garage, chassis strengthening was done.
Engine was rebuilt around 10,000 miles ago to standard spec (new pistons, bearings, cam belt etc.)
Ported and polished head and a new clutch with lightened and balanced flywheel.
Head gasket blew a few thousand miles ago, an uprated gasket was fitted when being fixed and it has driven fine since.
Fan works well so the car doesn't overheat, although apparently it's still using a standard 1.2 radiator.
The rocker cover gasket has been changed a few times but there's still a very small leak coming from the top left of it.
It's a weekend toy but 9 times out of 10 the bloke has his kids with him so it doesn't get thrashed around. As it can go a few weeks at a time between driving, on start up it can be a bit tappy, but after it's warmed up it quietens down. An additive has been added to the oil to help with this.
It idles fine at around 900rpm.

BODYWORK:

There are a couple of small rust bubbles at the top of both front wheel arches. The paint hasn't been pierced but there is obviously signs of a bit of rust developing.
The shell only has about 50,000 miles on it and it's never been welded and it's been undersealed.

It drives straight and has four new tyres that are all balanced up, the tracking was done so that it had a bit more toe out to improve the handling.

All advisories were dealt with for the latest MOT, including all gaitors and a couple of CV joints.

It has full service history including all receipts for engine work and a certificate for the installation of a Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser and the guy knows the two previous owners so knows it hasn't been treated badly.

There are other bits I won't bore you with but it has lots of other extras and goodies that indicate it's been well looked after.

Just wondering if there's anything there that sounds a bit odd or should be a cause for concern?

Thanks.

MX5 Project Thread
*CorsaCal*

19th May 13 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good to me, a bit too good if you know what i mean.
nibnob21
Premium Member

19th May 13 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by *CorsaCal*
Sounds good to me, a bit too good if you know what i mean.

I know what you mean. However I've had a good chat with the owner on the phone and he was telling me about things he really didn't have to. Seemed like a very honest and genuine bloke.

He didn't have to tell me about blowing the headgasket or the tapping but did without me prompting him.

Plus he has a very very extensive service history with the car even including the receipt for when the car was first bought.

It's all declared properly on the logbook too which gives me the impression he's not an idiot.

MX5 Project Thread
*CorsaCal*

19th May 13 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well there are a lot of bodges out there so if uve found a genuine nice one id go for it!
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st May 13 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well been phoning around a few insurers.

Prices I've got:
Greenlight - £733 tpft (unsure on underwriters and excess)
Sky (Markerstudy) - £672 tpft (£250 excess)
Adrian Flux (Equity Red Star) - £630 fully comp (£400 excess)

That's with all mods declared.

Anyone else I should try other than Brentacre?

MX5 Project Thread
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

21st May 13 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HIC?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
*CorsaCal*

21st May 13 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did u get it so cheap with flux!?! Im paying £1000 and im the same age and the car is very similar!
GB123
Premium Member

21st May 13 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably the £400 excess
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

21st May 13 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and postcode?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
*CorsaCal*

21st May 13 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe. Id be amazed if there where postcodes that much cheaper than here but spose nowheres risk free. If its the excess then im gonna fone up and increase mine!
GB123
Premium Member

21st May 13 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's some postcode ratings here, not sure how accurate they are though:

http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php#L
nibnob21
Premium Member

21st May 13 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phoned up HIC, really nice bloke on the phone who basically said they'd be the same as flux so wouldn't be worth taking all the time to get a new quote. My postcode is top grade, so insurance is always fairly reasonable. I currently only pay £200 on my 1.4. Didn't have a choice with the excess, that's just how much it is. I'm 22, had my license nearly 5 years, no accidents, 3 years ncb and 3 points for a traffic light offence.

MX5 Project Thread
*CorsaCal*

21st May 13 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you hsve 2 cars both insured. Have u used ur no claims on both because i was told i cant so im paying £1000 on th xe (5yrs no claims) and £1200 on my standard 1litre 3 cylinder corsa (no no claims) i dont get insurance atall.
Generation

21st May 13 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use flux for my c20let and sky for my 1.6... Sky don't use NCB but take into consideration, so
Do actually use it.

He doesn't have two cars anyway, made start seperate thread?

1k on an xe with 5ncb!??! Fooking hell. My renewal was about £600 also 5 ncb

[Edited on 21-05-2013 by Generation]
nibnob21
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 05:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I get the XE it will be the only car I'm insured on. I'll either break or sell my current 5dr.

MX5 Project Thread

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » C20XE questions 23 database queries in 0.0162721 seconds