corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Reptiles (Geckos) - advice? [now purchased with pictures]

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Reptiles (Geckos) - advice? [now purchased with pictures]
Gaz

User status: Offline
29th May 13 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone keep reptiles on here, more specifically leopard Geckos?

My boss's g/f is selling hers, it was used for animal therapy and is used to being handled but I have a few other questions before I show any interest as I've never had an animal like this before.

This one is presumably not a baby, and I understand they need to look fat in the tail with closed mouths and a healthy look to their size (not showing any bones) but is their anything else to look out for?

I also have a little bit of an issue with the food, It will prefer to eat live food which I presume I need to keep in the fridge. How are you guys storing food away from your own to stop hygiene issues.

I also have a little boy, 14 months old and I have read that Geckos, like any animal, will bite. Specifically if they think something moves like a worm which I do think my boys fingers may look like to a gecko. Anyone have experince with very young children and reptiles - is this a complete no no in terms of 'petting' the animal?

Finally, I think they want £40 with the vivarian (SP?) which I don't think is at all a bad price and I understand they are nocturnal but instead of having a lamp, you can use heat mats which I'm not sure if that comes with the Gecko. Are they expensive to run 24/7?

sorry for the mash of questions but I don't want to take one something that is beyond my means and I have to pass it on creating more chaos for the little guy.

[Edited on 02-06-2013 by Gaz]
Cavey

29th May 13 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a bearded dragon and it wasn't any hassle, only need to give them 10 mins or so attention each day.

Live food, last for 4 days or so just under the viv. We had a heat lamp, bulbs are stupidly expensive in pets at home, but can get them for a tenner online, had that on a timer so was on 12 hours a day. - not sure with geckos, but heat mats were discouraged as they can be too hot underneath for them.

As you said, geckos are nocturnal so you'll barely see it do anything anyway, as long as you're sensible.with you lad he'll be fine with it. Not sure they have that many teeth that would do damage to him, more sticky tongue etc...so even a little nip shouldn't do any damage, and he'll learn quick enough
Jambo

29th May 13 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easiest way to stop it biting your son is surely not to let your son near a small biting lizard?!

Geckos are awesome. Make great noises And eat wasps. Need to get about 500 for my house
Gaz

29th May 13 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cavey - thanks for the advice, it was suggested that mealworm etc can turn into bettles though, have you found this?

Jambo - you are correct but I want to let my boy grow up without fear of these types of animals. I would have not thought of them before apart from the fact that the boss is selling one cheap and I really do like the look of them and the simple care they need.

scotty_f

29th May 13 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I keep a leopard gecko and he hasn't got any teeth its just the way they bite its just the aggressive way they do it but just make sure they know who you are by letting them smell you so they got your scent and be careful not to scare them as they will drop there tails I hope this helps
Cavey

29th May 13 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It won't cause much damage to your lad even if it does bite, he'll soon learn how close he can get to it without provoking it.

Don't remember them turning into anything to be honest, but even if they do, just chuck that food and get some more. We feed the dragon on crickets and mealworms and I don't remember having any problems with food being left out. They're not refrigerated at pets at home, or anywhere.else I've bought from.

Found a few good forums. But can't remember what they were now!
Cavey

29th May 13 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And yeah, don't pick it up by the tail!
sloworm

29th May 13 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find This place is good for good value bulbs and accessories for my beardy.

They also do Blogs on certain reptiles like geckos which are quite helpful
craig55

29th May 13 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use a red heat lamp as they can not see red light and a uv light in day time i run mine with a habistat so adjust the temps for me also in there bedding area use damp moss as it helps them peel
Gaz

29th May 13 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

again chaps, many thats for the advice, I was aware of the tails too. They use it as fat stores for when food is sparse but can grow them back quickly.

Would you guys be kind enough to through a few pictures up of your set ups please? Just to give me a look of how your real experiences/care for them is. Online is an option but they always look a little to perfect to be everyday viv's.
Cavey

29th May 13 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might find some of mine on Facebook after the footy, not had him for a couple of years, but should be able to dig out a few photos
Gaz

29th May 13 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've found the gecko online in question, he looks healthy enough doesn't he:
craig55

29th May 13 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks healthy and nice marking

And mine having a bath

[Edited on 29-05-2013 by craig55]
Gaz

29th May 13 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks smart Craig and he/she looks lovely!

how are you controlling the temp with the singular bulb?
craig55

29th May 13 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With a habistat

And a uv bulb on daytime timer

[Edited on 29-05-2013 by craig55]
scotty_f

29th May 13 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres mine his name is leon

Gaz

29th May 13 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scott - not a lot of markings, what type of Gecko is Leon?

In the first picture, is he on a heated stone?
scotty_f

29th May 13 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's a coconut for him to hide in but there is a heated rock in there and hes a super hypo carrot tail he was a baldy but now has spots coming up on his head
scotty_f

29th May 13 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres another one of him on the heater rock

marklawton

29th May 13 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use to have one years ago. probably the easyiest reptile to look after. long as you have the heating right then its easy peasy.
ive got a bearded dragon now which ive owned for the past 13 years
once she pops her clogs i think iam going to get a pair of water dragons
rossnomore

30th May 13 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by marklawton
i use to have one years ago. probably the easyiest reptile to look after. long as you have the heating right then its easy peasy.
ive got a bearded dragon now which ive owned for the past 13 years
once she pops her clogs i think iam going to get a pair of water dragons

Water Dragons are awesome but hard to keep. A friend of mine had two and they both died within a year.

I have a leopard gecko, she's awesome and easy to keep. She's only ever bit me once but that was my fault trying to feed her when she was ill by holding a locust with my fingers. It doesn't hurt, as said, they have no teeth and arnt very strong either. Mine just has a heat mat and a UV lightbulb and she's happy and healthy. I've found they can be quite fussy with their food and get bored of the same stuff over and over. As for meal worms turning into beetles, keep them in a dish they cant get out of in the tank instead of just letting them run loose and check on them daily. Or alternatively feed them to it one by one every few days. I prefer to use locusts as they're easy to see and keep an eye on.
And i wouldnt keep them in the fridge, just chuck them in a cupboard.

[Edited on 30-05-2013 by rossnomore]
RichR
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 08:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never kept my live food in the fridge - I had a small plastic fish tank for crickets and grasshoppers; put in a peat/vermiculite base, few pebbles and the inside of an egg box and they lived in there happily for a couple of months.
baza31

30th May 13 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

totally different lizzard but my friend had a monitor lizzard , was huge. Didnt look like the sort of thing that would be legal to own .
Ad Blue B

30th May 13 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The mrs has 2, only about 5 weeks old...

Only been bit once and that was cause i was hand feeding it and it caught the end of my finger, no blood so all was good...

She has a heat mat one side of the viv with a hide for them and a hide the other side in the cooler half with a red lamp as they can't see red apparently.

Because the room is nearly always dark (only light is from the red lamp and the beardys, skinks heat lamps and if we turn the light on), they always seem to be running around, come out of their hides if we go into the room and aren't bothered about being picked up.

Food is kept by the side of the vivs, live for about 4-5 days as mentioned.
Ad Blue B

30th May 13 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
totally different lizzard but my friend had a monitor lizzard , was huge. Didnt look like the sort of thing that would be legal to own .

Mrs wanted one next as we saw a 5-6 week old one the other day, must have been about 5-6 inches long, then i checked on google about them, some can grow up to 7-8 foot! no chance haha!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Reptiles (Geckos) - advice? [now purchased with pictures] 22 database queries in 0.0177169 seconds