corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance Cheats

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insurance Cheats
Whittie

User status: Offline
17th Jun 13 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, not cheat... but ways to make it cheaper?

Was sent my renewal and it went up £80 this year to £610 which is weird, so had a play about and got it down to £520.

What questions can you alter to lower it?

Put it in a locked garage and it went up £200
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a limited mileage policy and keep winding the clocks back on your car
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insurance is a load of crap isn't it!

Make my car safer by locking it in a garage at night and it suddenly goes up £200? How do they justify that
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always thought that was BS. Seems cheaper to have it parked on the street over a driveway too. Was told it was something to do with it not being apparant which house the car belonged too or somethin like that.
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheaper to park it on the road than a driveway and in turn a garage.

Added my Mum to the policy and adding business insurance knocked a bit off too.

[Edited on 17-06-2013 by LiVe LeE]
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just lowered excess from £500 to £200 and its gone down another £30!
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quotes for fully comp are often cheaper than TPF&T with the same company too

[Edited on 17-06-2013 by Brett]
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quinn Direct have come in with £9,800 - Tempting...
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Raised the value of my car and it dropped another £10....
JonnyJ

17th Jun 13 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just play with annual mileage. Said i was going to do 5000 in my old Astra. Did 15,000. Nowt happened except i saved about £300 over 2 years

[Edited on 17-06-2013 by JonnyJ]
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Raised the value another £1000.... down another tenner
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And again...!
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
I just play with annual mileage. Said i was going to do 5000 in my old Astra. Did 15,000. Nowt happened except i saved about £300 over 2 years

Usually you have to do a mileage declaration tho. I don't imagine it would be a problem unless you had to claim when the mileage was over.

I've often wondered tho if you could just claim the car is used by someone else also, i.e. not you doing the mileage.
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay so my car is now worth 9k, when its really about 3500/4k..... but its down to £430 now
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jun 13 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Make my car safer by locking it in a garage at night and it suddenly goes up £200? How do they justify that

Because a lot of people lie and say their car is in a locked garage, then claim, then the stats for that group of people gets worse.

Been a few cases on here where its cheaper to declare it on the street.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jun 13 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Okay so my car is now worth 9k, when its really about 3500/4k..... but its down to £430 now

I went for a 95/N 1.2 Corsa to a 98/R 1.2. Same power, same security, same brakes, cheaper because it was worth more and therefore going to be looked after better, apparently more difficult to steal, and less likely to be written off.

Daft thing is with yours they'll only pay out market value.
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One trick I found very strange was...

Have the registered owner of the policy address as a lovely postcode, somewhere in the middle of no where in Scotland for example, BUT say that the vehicle is kept overnight at a different address, your actual one. Difference was mega Yet technically the car was at exactly the same risk.

So, in short, if you know someone that lives in a lovely low crime area, register the policy there but say the car is kept overnight at your home address

[Edited on 17-06-2013 by Brett]
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went from 12,000 miles to 14k and reduced it about £5

Tried the JonnyJ method and its reduced it nearly £80... policy is now at £349

Root

17th Jun 13 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Insurance is a load of crap isn't it!

If somebody was to damage the garage to get to your car, they'd have to pay for that too.

They're also more aware people lie these days. Comprehensive always works out cheaper than TPFT or TP for me too. If somebody will let you, add an older driver to your policy as a named driver, so long as it doesn't disrupt their no claims on their own policy, that sometimes makes it go down. Finding an alternative job description can decrease it (as long as it's still describing your job).

Tinker about with it to get it cheapest, as long as it's all true
JonnyJ

17th Jun 13 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:

Usually you have to do a mileage declaration tho. I don't imagine it would be a problem unless you had to claim when the mileage was over.

I've often wondered tho if you could just claim the car is used by someone else also, i.e. not you doing the mileage.

Aye, tbf i was massively taking the piss with that one, was at uni and money saving as much as i could , but i always go under what i think I'll do by at least 3/4k, its an estimation and im pretty sure you'd be fine if you were within 1/2k of your declaration when you took out the policy.

Changing it by a few thousand here and there can save a decent amount, especially if its a high premium to begin with.
JonnyJ

17th Jun 13 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Tried the JonnyJ method

Yes I have a method named after me. Quite proud, even if it is a method of insurance fraud
Jay

17th Jun 13 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be careful with this, I done these "tricks" to get it down and took it out, a week later got an email saying it was cancelled, rang them up and they said there's so many discrepancies in the insurance, why did I do so many quotes to say kept in garage, drive and street, why job change from labourer to gardener (I do both as one job) why different mileage etc etc

Paid a deposit and not even getting half of it back and they won't insure me now, rang another one and it says it's in the database I've had insurance cancelled or refused and wouldn't quote me. Just be weary when doing loads of online quotes.
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 13 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Tried the JonnyJ method

Yes I have a method named after me. Quite proud, even if it is a method of insurance fraud

JonnyJ method GTF

As it's worded
quote:
"I declare that the mileage record covered by the above vehicle will not exceed X miles during the duration of the policy.

I hearby confirm my understanding, that if the mileage limitation is exceeded, the Underwriters reserve the right to apply additional terms (i.e. additional Excess of Premium) to reflect their increased exposure and/or repudiate any future claim"

Do it at risk imo.
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done everything true bar the value which is 3k over what its worth, added old man on as a named driver, £375... sorted! Mileage 15,000, parked on drive.
Whittie

17th Jun 13 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also £35 cashback from quidco... and a gay meerkat

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance Cheats 22 database queries in 0.1211629 seconds