corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another interesting job at work *bit of a essay* UPDATE

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another interesting job at work *bit of a essay* UPDATE
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Jun 13 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a chap come in to work last week to talk about getting his mini finally sorted out

57 plate mini cooper s (the turbo one)

he bought it, drove it for a while then the cam chain slipped, he managed to fluke it and not do any valve damage, off to bmw, new chain, guides and tensioners

sorted.... for 2 weeks untill the High pressure fuel pump packed in..... another trip to bmw. one high pressure fuel pump later all was well for another 3 weeks untill the car started acting up
another trip into bmw and it turned out that the ecu was fried inside (or so they said..) so a new ecu and all was well

untill it started acting up, then fully died so the chap called out a mobile mechanic who turned up and told him his chain had slipped again but it seems like hes done some damage internaly and it wasnt a job he would want to take on

so thats up to last week, i got the car delivered to me and cracked on... after manageing to get a spark plug socket to fit the bloody plugs i ran a comp test, every cylinder turned 0PSI
rocker box off... just from a quick scout from what i can see the chain has stretched, slipped and done all 8 exhaust valves

spoke to a mate of mine down at bmw, and it turns out its as common as muck for the chains to slip and BMW cannot do anything to stop the chains from slipping (major fault) the newest "fix" that they have come at is a "modified" chain, guides, tensioner, inlet valve cam sprocket, and crank sprocket

oh and you need a special tool to lock the crank and cam to get the timeing done right, that costs £250 alone.......

PICTURES FINALLY

Stupid bloody plugs

Rocker box off

inlet off

lights out

BMW botch job

Water pipes and aircon and shit off

all the loom and that unplugged and the front end off

then went home
will update tomorrow when i get the head off and stripped with some more pics and what not

[Edited on 21-06-2013 by FlaFFy_91]

[Edited on 24-06-2013 by FlaFFy_91]

[Edited on 20-07-2013 by FlaFFy_91]
tobyc20xe

21st Jun 13 at 01:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work mate . My friend sam has one bit of a girls car if you ask me but his one is pritty nippy lol.there was a recall for the problem wasn't there?
AndyCorsaSport

21st Jun 13 at 06:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work, but if its a matter of weeks why hasn't it gone back to BMW under warranty?
gazza808

21st Jun 13 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pesky french engines...
T21SVJ

21st Jun 13 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was going to say isnt the engine something to do with peugeot?
Neo

21st Jun 13 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This a diesel ? DV6TED4 engine iirc - PSA & ford developed.

Had one in my C2, managed 110k and started to be an arse so got rid From what I've read once they start going, they are money pits.

Used in an awful lot of cars though
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fairly common and if you kick up a bit of s tink bmw will usually foot the bill
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was indeed a recall and yes these engines are a Peugeot and ford designed engine. The old Chevy supercharged engines they used were awesome. So bad move for them here

Andy I managed to get my wires crossed up there. The first time it had the chain done it was actually done by a mobile mechanic. Not BMW. However that mobile mechanic now doesn't exist and the phone number doesn't work. And I can see why as half the bolts are missing. And the other half that are there are finger tight. Example, the crankshaft pulley there is 3 bolts. 1 of which is missing. The other 2 were literally finger tight. The water pump pully that doesn't even need to come off there's only 1 of 3 bolts in there. All the proper BMW snap clips for the water pipes are missing and been replaced with jubilee clips that don't fit properly. It's a absolute mess. Ill throw up some more pictures later tonight.
Mattb

21st Jun 13 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The above makes me angry.... cowboys like that have given honest hard working mechanics / technicians a crap name...
alan t

21st Jun 13 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon my gaffer would have a few things to say to me if i was taking pictures of customers cars instead of getting on with fixing them
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha matt you have no idea mate. It's been getting me angry as fuck today. All the opposite drive torques are chewed up to death. Half the bolts that are there are generic 8mm or 10mm bolts. Ill chuck some pics up in a mo.
It's done 8 exhaust valves and 6 inlet valves.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My boss wants me to take pictures of them. To show the customer for one. And for the customer to take back to the mechanic and use against him to get some money back or what ever. . It also only takes about 5 seconds a picture. And I'm waiting until monday for valves, head gasket, head bolts. So on so forth. So in no rush what so ever
alan t

21st Jun 13 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update with pictures

bottom pully with missing bolt

water pump with 2 missing bolts

one of the 2 mad belt tensioners that are on this engine

and removed

exhaust, alt and aircon pump removed

sump removed to gain access to the oil pump chain aswell

Chewed up bolts from the cowboy that has been here before

some scoreing and rough bits on the cam end

engine mount removed

Head bolts removed

Head removed, you can see the marking on the 8 exhaust and 6 inlet valves from where they have hit the pistons

And all 4 pistons

Piston number 2 with some quite bad marking on both sides

and heres number 4 aswell with some marking on just the exhasut side

Then i had to stop work due to my next job comeing in..........

[Edited on 21-06-2013 by FlaFFy_91]
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon he used hex sockets on them bolts
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks like it. Either that or he had a basic set of torques and some of them don't include the E12 size that this was. So he might of used a E14
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are these engines used in the Citroen DS3?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 22:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the 500 job? Respray?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Neo

22nd Jun 13 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Kyle they are
mattievRS

22nd Jun 13 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame to see a bodge job done previously but I do love a good "fix it" thread with pictures!
Dom

22nd Jun 13 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that likely to have been BMW who forgot the bolts and chewed the bolt head?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

22nd Jun 13 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle. As above yes it is the same engine. There a shit engine to be honest.
Phil. Haha I wish it was mate. Was in for a service, tyres and a new front shock
Dom. As I sad above it was actually this mobile mechanic that had done the chain previously so it will of been him that's left all the bolts and shit. Proper cowboys.

I don't think anyone on here has done one of these before. But they have the same sort of cam chain setup as a 1 series. You put the chain, crank cog and guides all together then lower them into the engine. There's no side caseing. But guess what. The chap that fitted the last chain messe up the sleeve that runs through the cog meaning that wouldn't come out as well. Ill post some pics on Monday so it's Easyer to understand.
Neo

22nd Jun 13 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sooooo glad I got rid of mine

how many miles is this on ?
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jun 13 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
Kyle. As above yes it is the same engine. There a shit engine to be honest.
Phil. Haha I wish it was mate. Was in for a service, tyres and a new front shock
Dom. As I sad above it was actually this mobile mechanic that had done the chain previously so it will of been him that's left all the bolts and shit. Proper cowboys.

I don't think anyone on here has done one of these before. But they have the same sort of cam chain setup as a 1 series. You put the chain, crank cog and guides all together then lower them into the engine. There's no side caseing. But guess what. The chap that fitted the last chain messe up the sleeve that runs through the cog meaning that wouldn't come out as well. Ill post some pics on Monday so it's Easyer to understand.

Crazy coincidence then! There's a guy at work with a leased DS3 and he was telling me about the issue with stretched chains and stuff like that. His is making all sorts of clattering sounds on startup so he's going to mention it next week as part of the first service. I came home, saw this thread on CS and though... hmmm, that sounds familiar!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

22nd Jun 13 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neo. This only has 40,000 on it. It's a 07 reg.
haha Kyle that is quite the coincidence. As I said there's bout that can be done to stop them from skipping. BMW themselfs can't stop it. Ill get some pictures of the modified guides and sprockets when I get them on monday for you. If its clattering. Try find a good garage locally willing to take it on. As its not a easy thing to do atall haha

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another interesting job at work *bit of a essay* UPDATE 23 database queries in 0.0142529 seconds