corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Work Day- Where do I stand?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Work Day- Where do I stand?
12vStig

User status: Offline
25th Jun 13 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long story short:

offered a role, through a recruitment agency, permanent etc which was ideal as I've finished uni and was doing a maternity cover

got there today, contract had been sent through the post so I was to sign it this evening and bring it in tomorrow. Its only bloody temporary!

Everything beforehand had led me to believe it was permanent, my agency were instructed to only give me permanent roles, the email confirming my offer in writing said permanent and in the interview i was asked questions about the future both for myself and the company.

Where do i stand and what can i do? could it be an honest mistake or have they been pulling the wool over my eyes the entire time?
richardworrall
Premium Member

25th Jun 13 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

simple answer.....ring em up and talk to them
12vStig

25th Jun 13 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nobody is in the office, i just wanted to put my mind at rest and know what sort of battle to expect tomorrow
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

25th Jun 13 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could sue the recruitment agent for loss of earning
John

25th Jun 13 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recruitment agent probably knew it was temporary, sort of thing they do.
Carl

25th Jun 13 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Work your bollocks off so they make you permanent
12vStig

25th Jun 13 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so basicall the honest mistake, all a misunderstanding, rectified in the morning glimmer of hope I was clinging onto I should just abandon?
Pauly

25th Jun 13 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could be that until you pass a probation period you won't get a permamnent contract. I have had this in the past or it could be the agency trying to take the piss, best thing to do is phone up and confirm why it says temporary.
Ben D

25th Jun 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
Work your bollocks off so they make you permanent

This, the hardest thing is to get your foot in the door, If you work your ass off and impress them whilst you are there they will take you on permanently, half the staff at my place were employed by the company simply because they impressed whilst there as and agency worker.
taylorboosh

25th Jun 13 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above but still ring for permanent first
K2 GTi

25th Jun 13 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
You could sue the recruitment agent for loss of earning

I hope that was a joke?

Just work hard , prove you can do the job and get offered a permanent job after 12 weeks.

Kicking up a fuss will go against you, trust me.

Turn up on time and do as they ask and if they have a position after 12 weeks the will either take you on, pay you the same as a perm worker, or they'll release you.

Either way all the best
12vStig

25th Jun 13 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is the temp contract is a 12 month thing. This isnt just a case of sitting it out and hoping for the best a couple of months down the line. Im at an age and a situation where I need and want stability, starting off at work and branching out so i can move out etc. this is why I was specifically looking for permaent roles, im just left in the same situation i was before, but with more money burning a hole in my pocket.
12vStig

25th Jun 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In all seriousness, I'm in a situation where I could live the life I want to, work my gnads off, and be left up shit creek in 12 months time.
Rob E

25th Jun 13 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My contract is permanent but it was temporary for the first 3 months while on probation. I would just take it in with you (unsigned) and then just ask for clarification from your manager (as ultimately he will have penned the contract, not the recruitment agency).
Rob E

What line of work is the role? Are you going in as a contractor?
K2 GTi

Well you've not done a very good job of confirming the details with the agency.

They wouldn't tell you it's permanent and then you get told its temporary.

And a 12 month temporary contract? After 12 weeks you'll need to be paid the same as a compatible worker to what you're doing.

12 months work is better than 0 months work. If it bothers you that much then SIMPLY apply for work while your working where you are. That way you still have work and can still attend interviews etc..

It's not the end of the world mate your working there is millions unemployed at the moment.
12vStig

25th Jun 13 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its as a commercial analyst, I was expecting the whole 3-month probationary period as its pretty commonplace but I think this takes the mickey a bit. I have had email and verbal confirmation from the agency which cleared states it is a permanent role. Its a "fixed term" mtenty cover contract, dressing up what is a temporary position, not really putting me in a better situation than I was in.

And please don't talk to me about unemployment, I'm a graduate with a damn good degree that was forced to stop attending a voluntary unpaid work experience which was giving me vital experience for the the countless roles that turned me away. I've worked damn hard for this role and just want it to be what it said on the tin!
Carl

25th Jun 13 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Permenant jobs don't exist anymore. The field im I its always dependant on funding and contracts as are most organisations, just crack on 12 month is a long time, just make sure when you get to 10 minth you start thinking about your next move.
12vStig

25th Jun 13 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big gamble to take though, what if i was to take out a 2 year phone contract, or a 3 year car lease, move out, get sky etc and end up on the unemployment scrapheap again
Matt L

25th Jun 13 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did the confirmation say it was permanent or did it say fixed term? I am confused .

firstly ring and just query with them if it is permanent or temporary as you were under the impression is was permanent.

if it is temporary, either accept and work for the 12months whilst looking for a new position and then either move to that or see if they keep you on, or turn it down and then look for another permanent job.

as you say it is a gamble but so is any job with a probation period and 12 months work experience looks a lot better than 12months looking for a permanent job.

[Edited on 25-06-2013 by Matt L]
Rob E

25th Jun 13 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on a "two year rolling contract" which as a contractor is the maximum length of time I can stay in one job role before I start getting shafted and loose all the benefits that come with contracting. The company get round this by changing your job role description every two years.

At the end of the day you have 12 months work which is great in the current climate. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that You just know you have 12 months to make a lasting impression and become an asset they dont want to loose
12vStig

25th Jun 13 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Confirmation was from the agency and said in big bold letters it was permanent.

The first inkling i got otherwise was when my contract was waiting when I got home today and it said temporary.

I understand the advantages of the job, I suppose I'm just a bit gutted that I thought this'd be a bit of a dream come true and meant I could start living life, and really its just another year of being a stop gap.
Pauly

25th Jun 13 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately thats how employment is these days, nothing is really permanent anymore as things can change so quickly within a business.
Unless you have something better on offer 12 months employment is a good opportunity as it gives you chance to save and see if any other jobs come up in that period. A lot of people would be happy at a 12 month contract with how bad the job situation is.
Pauly

25th Jun 13 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But how do you know this is a stop gap? at the end of the 12 months or even before then they could offer you another contract/role
12vStig

25th Jun 13 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My contract says its a fixed term maternity cover, given the crap state of the jobs market at, I'd say thats pretty much nailed on as a stop gap.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Work Day- Where do I stand? 22 database queries in 0.0153239 seconds