corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa GSi C16XE Starting and running problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa GSi C16XE Starting and running problems
DizzyRebel

User status: Offline
28th Jun 13 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So me being a nostalgic loser decided it would be a good idea to buy a Corsa GSi and re live having my first car again. Sadly, it wasnt all rosy.

I bought it as the owner listed it to be 'restricted to 4000rpm via the chip' Which I didn't believe anyway as I've never heard of it before in my life.

Anyway the problems are:

Upon startup - it takes 5-10 seconds of turning over before it fires up.

Once started - it either dies or with a little persuasion begins a high idle around 2000rpm which finally settles after a bit of revving and aggression.

It seems to pull ok through the revs until 3500rpm, at which it is almost like it hits a limiter.

It's been a long time since I've owned or worked on one of these, so I cant really remember the fault code reading or anything like that. Any help would be much appreciated, as im half tempted to just stick it back on ebay as a project for someone who has time for it!
DizzyRebel

28th Jun 13 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also forgot to mention, it has some dog shit toad alarm, and a second immobiliser fitted.
corsa-torque

28th Jun 13 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the crank pulley off and check the woodruff key, they can wear which causes the problems you have,
Happened on mine, went though loads of sensors etc for no reason.
Check that first.
If you have an Eml on do the paper clip test, of you don't know how I'm sure if you search here there's a link
DizzyRebel

28th Jun 13 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers I'll check that, but the last one i had did the opposite. Once it got to 3000rpm it ran fine just shit at idle. This seemingly hits a limiter at 3500rpm. Fucking old cars, I dont know why i bother lol
c16-jake

28th Jun 13 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My c16xe was exactly the same mate, it was the crank sensor and was putting the engine into 'limp' home mode. Replaced it and noticed the bracket holding it on was lose..
DizzyRebel

28th Jun 13 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This sounds more likely. Ill try one of those also thanks.
andy_mk3

1st Jul 13 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't dismiss the woodruff key though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPgtuwOzMog

Hopefully it is just a sensor for you though!

New Poll