corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Business rates

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Business rates
Crana

User status: Offline
2nd Jul 13 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need a little help here, me and a few friends have been renting unit for over a year just to work on our cars and store parts and spares. We make no money at all and aren't a business yet I received 2 letters saying I owe the council money for business rates. Spoke to my landlord and he says just to ring up and claim to be a small business so you won't have to pay... All seems a little funny to me think hes trying to screw the system via us for his over tenets

here the letters

Ben J

2nd Jul 13 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell the truth that its just for storage and working on own cars. Not sure why your landlord is saying that.
SXI - Matt

2nd Jul 13 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a big bill for nothing bet you were slightly shocked when that arrived
Crana

2nd Jul 13 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just rang up been changed to nill because we make no money but says it'll be around £1000 a year from April 2014 for small business rates being a lockup makes no difference he reckons
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Jul 13 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you're not a business so that shouldn't apply; Council Tax is the most probable Tax that you'll face
Tiger

2nd Jul 13 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My bands practice unit isn't a business but we pay business rates, it's a commercial premises, that's the only reason.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Jul 13 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like payments the landlord should be footing to me
Robbo

2nd Jul 13 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, depends what the land registry (or whoever it is) has it noted as commercial premises get busienss rates (unless empty/derelict iirc), dwelligns get council tax
baza31

2nd Jul 13 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Edited due to no reading comments

[Edited on 02-07-2013 by baza31]
baza31

2nd Jul 13 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

How do you work that one out ?
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Jul 13 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not talking about the business rates, I meant in reply to this

quote:
Originally posted by Crana
Just rang up been changed to nill because we make no money but says it'll be around £1000 a year from April 2014 for small business rates being a lockup makes no difference he reckons
random dav
Premium Member

2nd Jul 13 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It makes no difference if you make money or not, it's the same as council tax, pays for local services, etc.

You can get rate relief and reduced to nil for certaain amounts of time.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Jul 13 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

How do you work that one out ?

Landlord is the business, so should pay, not 2 lads pissing about with thier cars.

Whats your rent agreement say Crana?
BeArDy

2nd Jul 13 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wait until you get your waste water and highways drainage bill
Now theres a funny which you get nailed on, again weather you are a business or not you still have to pay it

Oh and they back date it aswell, so if they unit is in yours and your mates name they will chase you threw the courts for it.

[Edited on 02-07-2013 by BeArDy]
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Jul 13 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring your local council and advise them your not a business. I had to speak to them about the rates for a business I used to manage in Lincoln, they sent somebody out to talk to me and review the case, they ended up adjusting then slightly to suit.

Though you will probably still be charged to an extent for water drainage Etc even if you don't have a water supply to the building.
Jay

3rd Jul 13 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeArDy
Wait until you get your waste water and highways drainage bill
Now theres a funny which you get nailed on, again weather you are a business or not you still have to pay it

Oh and they back date it aswell, so if they unit is in yours and your mates name they will chase you threw the courts for it.

[Edited on 02-07-2013 by BeArDy]

My mum used to own a newsagents and live above, got a water and drainage bill for the shop when there was no running water in there or a toilet. They used to use the one in the flat, argued it for ages finally came to their senses after about 2 years of back and forth.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Business rates 23 database queries in 0.0149779 seconds