corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Gran Canaria

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gran Canaria
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
10th Jul 13 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HI

Got a good deal and it ticks the boxes so me and the mrs are going to peuto rico on gran canaria in nov, been offered a hire car for the 7 day duration for £70. We are taking the bairn so im thinking this could be a godsend.

Anyone been? Much on the rest of the island to see? Im very much a doing things guy rather than lie around the pool. Worth getting a car basicly?
JonnyJ

10th Jul 13 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye its nice, car could be useful, its built into a valley so the hotels/apartments are built into the hillside, which means a lot of steps. Plenty of nice beaches to go to (we used to go round to the one at Amadores) and some water parks. Maspalomas isnt that far away, know a few people who have been there and said its decent.
taylorboosh

10th Jul 13 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hoping to visit a few parts of the island tbh may aswell
N16K

10th Jul 13 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car is a good thing in Puerto Rico the place is build into the hillsides lots of hills and steps, take a look on google street view the main bars, shops, restaurants are in the shopping centres I think there are 2, they are higher up the hillside the beach is at the bottom of the valley.
Seany

10th Jul 13 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amadores beach is much nicer and much quieter I found. Cleaner looking aswell. As said loads of steps. There are loads of boat trips to places.
I stayed at the dunas Amadores last time I went, built into the cliffs.
I wouldn't have said you needed a car but could be handy. Most places are around the centers from what I remember.
N16K

10th Jul 13 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Hoping to visit a few parts of the island tbh may aswell

for that point alone get a car
taylorboosh

10th Jul 13 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea been looking on trip advisor, decent water park, croc place, few other cool things worth a morning drive to see. For £10 a day its worth it...

Dom

10th Jul 13 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of vine yards etc if heading in land towards Tejeda and you obvious have Las Palmas in the north, loads of things you can do there. What ever you do, use the main highway that runs on the east of the island (takes 30/40 mins north to south) otherwise it's extreme mountain roads on the west that take fecking hours - made that mistake last time i was there

And a car is a must tbh as it allows you to venture to the rest of the island rather than being holed up (unless you're prepared to pay for taxis).

[Edited on 10-07-2013 by Dom]
big eck

10th Jul 13 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The jeep safari + camel ride is a must as is the Western Show & Barbecue at Sioux City. 2 of the best things of the holiday for us.

If you fancy a day trip then Tenerife isn't far and Loro Parque is a fantastic day out.
taylorboosh

10th Jul 13 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell me more about a jeep safari?

Would i be able to take bairn on camel ride?

I will just take the tomtom and put a map pack on it tbh
Carl

10th Jul 13 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty of good restaurants about too. there is one called guantanamo, abit further round past amadores, busy with locals, doesn't look amazing but the food is class. Also a personal favourite that is in puerto rico and again doesn't look that cracking is a greek place called Rhodes Palace, its upstairs in a little shopping complex, been more than once every time i've been to Gran Canaria.
craig8
Premium Member

10th Jul 13 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a quieter day out you can get the boat taxi to Mogan which is much nicer and less touristy than Puerto Rico

E36 328
spencer88

11th Jul 13 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DO NOT DO THE JEEP SAFARI!

The jeeps are in terrible condition.

We went to Playa Del Linges.
MOre of a party town. Puerto Rico is nice and quiet, with some good night life though if you choose.

Great marina there with plenty of boat trips to go on.

taylorboosh

11th Jul 13 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you drive the jeeps yourself?
spencer88

11th Jul 13 at 06:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, the ones we saw were the ones where you had a driver.
Carl

11th Jul 13 at 06:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by craig8
If you want a quieter day out you can get the boat taxi to Mogan which is much nicer and less touristy than Puerto Rico

Yeah the port/village is lovely there good shout.
taylorboosh

11th Jul 13 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
quote:
Originally posted by craig8

Yeah the port/village is lovely there good shout.

Sounds like paxos off corfu
fred7

11th Jul 13 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What hotel you staying at? We been there lots of times. If your staying up the top (europa centre) then a car is a good idea if at the shopping centre down the bottom most trips etc are walking distance the water park is 10 mins from shopping centre. Lovely place although getting more and more quiet each time we go
big eck

11th Jul 13 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
DO NOT DO THE JEEP SAFARI!

The jeeps are in terrible condition.

You've seen the terrain they drive over, they obviously won't be in mint condition

Your picked up by the guide and taken to some of the best scenery in the world. Massive drops on either side. The camel ride is great as well. I'm pretty sure you can take the wee one. Your taken to this massive canyon where they do an echo test. Its like one of those echos in the movies where you shout something and it take a good 5 secs to bounce off the walls and return in perfrct clarity

I thought it was a brilliant day out.
am4nf

11th Jul 13 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just watch with the hire car

Most companies freeze about £600 insurance money on your card so account for that and go over the car as if you were buying it as the least little scratch that they missed before will be your worst nightmare if they spot it when you take the car back unless you pay the fully comp insurance obv then you dont need to worry
DaSess

12th Jul 13 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went on a camel ride not 3 months ago in Egypt and no way would I say it would be ok to take a child on, a teenager yes but not an infant, obviously different countries so could be different but if any like my experience I would strongly advise not to take a infant on a camel!

[Edited on 12-07-2013 by DaSess]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Gran Canaria 23 database queries in 0.0120099 seconds