corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » C20xe engine getting hot (not coolant)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author C20xe engine getting hot (not coolant)
*CorsaCal*

User status: Offline
12th Jul 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone had any issues with their c20xe engine getting hot in their corsa. The coolant temp never coes above 98 but the actual engine its self gets bloody hot. I know that the nature of an engine is that they do but this seems crazy hot. Im thinking due to lack of air flow.
Its even got to the point where the inlet manifold bolts are coming slightly loose after a good run and im sure thats because the heads expanding more than the bolts.

Im thinking that i need to get all of the below:
Twin fans (mounted infront of the rad and keep the standard one)
Change my bonnet for a vented one or fit bonnet raisers
Drill holes in the bumpers
Morettes with the inner lamps removed.

Cheers
Generation

12th Jul 13 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't need any of that? If bolts are getting loose, ten get new ones and torque them up properly
*CorsaCal*

12th Jul 13 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im gonna use locktight on the bolts but it was just how hot the engine gets that worried me. When you open the bonnet it hits you. Lol
BenC1985

12th Jul 13 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old let wasent that bad. Even after a good run. Lol What rad are you running?
*CorsaCal*

12th Jul 13 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard 1.4 rad and fan with a cool running stat. As i ssy the coolant temp is perfectly fine (always below 98 even sat in traffic for ages when its 29'C outside) its the actual engine temp that worries me. I.e if you touch the rocker after a run or even just hover your hand near it its crazy hot. Ive worked on many engines and never felt one as hot but it may be fine and not bother the engine ?
bigron1988

12th Jul 13 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the proper nuts from vauxhall for the inlet if there coming loose, there copper deformed nuts and cost about 15 p each and there designed so they dont come loose
monkeytwizzel

12th Jul 13 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rseeley has an alloy rad for sale for £100 if you want to increase the coolant capacity.
*CorsaCal*

12th Jul 13 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have replaced the stud/nuts for bolts so that the inlet can be removed in the car. I think im going to have to locktite the bolts and hope for the best there. When it comes to rads are the tx auto alloy rads a greater capacity then if so are they a direct replacement? I think a alloy rad with twin fans is the first step and see what happens. Lol.
bigron1988

12th Jul 13 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is your problem then replacing them with bolts, they need the copper nuts on them so it all can expand with the heat
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

13th Jul 13 at 07:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ben said. The coper nuts and studs are there for a reason. If it gets that hot it would melt the lock tight anyways.
As for the cooling. Make sure your cts for your dial is reading correctly. There about £10 from vauxhall. Could be broken hence not showing you any readings
AlexW

13th Jul 13 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like how 90% of this thread is about coolant, when if coolant temp was an issue, the fan would be on constantly, which I'm guessing its not.

I'd be more interested into looking at how lean its running, running lean would cause it to be very hot.
*CorsaCal*

13th Jul 13 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah so i need to get rid of the bolts and put the studs and copper nuts back. Thats a bummer.

The fan only cuts in when it needs to then cuts out exactly as it should.
monkeytwizzel

13th Jul 13 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
I like how 90% of this thread is about coolant, when if coolant temp was an issue, the fan would be on constantly, which I'm guessing its not.

I'd be more interested into looking at how lean its running, running lean would cause it to be very hot.

What about the fact that if the engine was still in it`s original car that it would have a larger rad so therefore would have a larger coolant capacity to keep it that little bit cooler so if it was running lean or rich it wouldn`t show up in the coolant temp?
Some engines do just run hotter than others but that doesn`t mean that they have a fault.

AlexW

13th Jul 13 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the temp gauge is showing 98, thats bang on what it should be, a bigger rad would just lower that a couple of degrees perhaps (Only once the thermostat is open anyway!), which won't make a lot of differance to the engine temp anyway!

On another point, might be worth checking the oil temps, as I assume it hasn't got a oil cooler on it atm
*CorsaCal*

13th Jul 13 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer the coolant temp is fine perhaps the oil is hot as you say? No i havent got an oil cooler atm. Is this something thats recommended?
monkeytwizzel

13th Jul 13 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes fitting an oil cooler will help to remove some more heat from the engine,If you drive it hard a lot then definitly a good idea.
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

20th Jul 13 at 03:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i run my c20xe without an oil cooler and have done for years, ran a standard radiator from a 1.4 sport and now a 1.0 12v radiator and again never had a problem. Oil cooler is not a must unless you really are going to drive the nuts off it constantly or use it for track days or racing. Check the obvious stuff thermastat isnt stuck shut and that it is an 82 degree cool running one, guage in the car is working properly
Dan
Premium Member

20th Jul 13 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the engine feels hot. But the coolant temp is fine.

There is nothing to worry about. It would continue rasing the water temp.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us

New Poll