corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I have a question

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I have a question
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Aug 13 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What temperature does water boil at?
Ste
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 07:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends.

You need to give more specifics if you want the correct answer

purity? pressure? etc

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 07:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also how accurate/ how many decimal places in degrees C or kelvin etc

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 07:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You may as well asked how long a piece of string is

Robin
Premium Member

well, you'd expect the answer on google to be the generic one, at sea level, at one atmosphere and pure.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 07:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stephen fry told me but i cant remember, its around 90 degrees c though i think

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Jay

9th Aug 13 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just under 100 degrees can't remember exactly
Ste
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 07:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could make water boil at room temperature just with things in my house. Didn't you go to school?

Robin
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 07:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ste, don't be a cock.

I'm asking a question because the answer on google is different to my understanding, the reason I googled it is to find a conversion into Kelvin and 100 degrees seemed like a good point to start, not because I'm an idiot.
Ste
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 07:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not being a cock. You asked an unanswerable question given the parameters you supplied.

Robin
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see your point but at school you are taught that water freezes at 0c and boils at 100c

That was my understanding and as far as I was aware, Celsius used water to define his scale, 0 being freezing point and 100 being boiling point as water was easy to find and they were good numbers to work with.

So, how come water actually boils at 99.98 Celsius? That's my point.

I know there are other factors involved but if you ask most people, they'll say 100 degrees, which is correct.
Ste
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 08:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was taught pressure was more relevant, but hey, that's our education system.

Found this chart which will help

A cool experiment is getting a syringe (no needle on it) put a small amount of water in it, put your finger over the hole and pull back fast, the drop in pressure will cause it to boil and you will see steam bubbles in the water.

neil h

9th Aug 13 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
So, how come water actually boils at 99.98 Celsius? That's my point.

I'd happily right off 0.02% as an acceptable margin of error. That could easily be a variance in the calibration of the test equipment.
Jay

9th Aug 13 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robin asked a general question so assumed he would want a general answer?
nibnob21
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 08:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Ste, don't be a cock.

I'm asking a question because the answer on google is different to my understanding, the reason I googled it is to find a conversion into Kelvin and 100 degrees seemed like a good point to start, not because I'm an idiot.

In case you don't have the answer already, 0degC is 273K. They use the same scale, so 100degC is 373K etc.

Kelvin starts from absolute zero. So 0K is -273degC.

[Edited on 09-08-2013 by nibnob21]

MX5 Project Thread
3CorsaMeal

9th Aug 13 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whenever the bubbles are quite a lot, thats when its ready imo, no need to know the temperature
Tomnova16
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the praying mantis lobster moves so quickly it boils the water infront of it.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
John

9th Aug 13 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Celsius lived until 1744, if he was only .02 out I'd say he was close enough with his scale. Most instruments probably aren't that accurate even now.
Robin
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can he be out though, he defined the scale!
John

9th Aug 13 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He still needed a thermometer (or some other instrument) that visually showed the changes in temperature. His scale is separate to that.

If that was the cause (I've not had time to check if it was), then being only .02 out, with instruments from 300 years ago, that's not bad.
Robin
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think my point is being missed.
Balling
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
He still needed a thermometer (or some other instrument) that visually showed the changes in temperature.
Technically he didn't need to measure anything.

If he decided that 0 was freezing and 100 was boiling points of water at sea level, then that's the way it is. There's no way to say he was off as he assigned those numbers based on the physical state of the matter.

By his definition, if pure water starts boiling at sea level, then it's 100 degrees warm.

I see where Robin is coming from.

Robin
Premium Member

9th Aug 13 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.
John

9th Aug 13 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you 2 are missing the point.

How did he measure those changes?

All very well defining the scale but you need something to measure it.

As it was able to be more accurately measured, it turns out that his 100 degrees was actually .02 above.

You need something to take measurements whether you are using Celsius or furlongs.
John

9th Aug 13 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also see what you are saying btw, but disagree with that being what matters here.

If all he done wqas say water boils at 100 and freezes at 0, you can see one turning to a solid and one turns to a gas, but that's not all it measures.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I have a question 23 database queries in 0.0156178 seconds