corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cat D

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cat D
ed

User status: Offline
20th Aug 13 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at getting a little run-about before the winter as it'll be cheaper than a set of winter tyres for my 'nice car' and I'll be able to chuck a bike rack on the back of it if I get a hatch. Plus I want something a little less thirsty for going to work in.

Is it normal for a cat D to have no V5, is that how the insurance company sells it to the salvager? Also, if the vehicle has an MOT on it from before the accident, is that still valid? I've seen a few with an MOT and tax but the V5 isn't present so just wanted to know if that was standard issue?
ed

20th Aug 13 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually looks like the one I want most has no tax.
Graeme
Premium Member

20th Aug 13 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mot and tax can still be valid if only a cat d but not on a cat c.

V5 some come with some with out. It generally depends if the person who owned the car before the accident left it in the car or have it to the salvage people.

Only about £30 ish to get a new one and then it comes to you and writes to the last owner to say that a new v5 has been applied for.
Jambo

20th Aug 13 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you looking at Jedward?
ed

20th Aug 13 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simples then. Can you get a tax disk and V5 sorted at a DVLA office on the day (or tax at least)? Don't have the ability to trailer anything if I need to wait around.

Fiat Pandas Jamborina.
Jambo

20th Aug 13 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh. I had considered a second car arrangemt before but could never find anything worthwhile as everything cheap is uneconomical
ed

20th Aug 13 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seem to be able to get them for lees than £1k now. The insurance is £200 or less and the 1.1 does 30-40mpg apparently. Obviously not the most inspiring thing to drive, but it kills a few birds with one stone as I'll be able to insure the Porker as a classic with some insurers (as they tend to stipulate that your classic car can't be your daily hack) and I'm going to have to drive a few more miles for work soon.

[Edited on 20-08-2013 by ed]
Graeme
Premium Member

20th Aug 13 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unsure if you can but may be able to tax it and get v5 all in one go.
AndyCorsaSport

20th Aug 13 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you can apply for V5 and tax at same time. I'm doing this tommorow. Spoke to DVLA last week to make sure. Obviously has to be MOT'd and insured as usual.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Aug 13 at 23:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might just be that the keeper has not returned it to the insurance company and therefore its not available with the salvage.

With a C you shouldn't get one as they're destroyed in order that it be can re-printed with the marker on to say that its been significantly repaired.
AndyCorsaSport

21st Aug 13 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From my experience of buying from copart you don't get one with a D or C.

D costs £25 to apply for logbook

C costs £41 for a VIC check, which includes fee for applying for logbook.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Aug 13 at 07:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had them with D but it does depend what the owner returns.
AndyCorsaSport

21st Aug 13 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True. And when most people's cars get written off they couldn't give a fuck about logbook/history etc
NovaGTE2

21st Aug 13 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
True. And when most people's cars get written off they couldn't give a fuck about logbook/history etc

I always write the previous owner a nice letter asking if they can fwrd anything they have offering to pay and they generally do. So end up with FSH and all keys generally.
ed

21st Aug 13 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plan is planned then. Looks like you can pay the extra £25 at the Post Office for a new V5C when you tax the car. Not sure if I'll bother trying to get the original as we're talking about a £600-£700 car which I think I'll drive until it dies
AndyCorsaSport

21st Aug 13 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NovaGTE2
quote:

I always write the previous owner a nice letter asking if they can fwrd anything they have offering to pay and they generally do. So end up with FSH and all keys generally.

I plan to do this for spare key. I have all book pack and full stamped history, was all in the car. Just need a spare key. Fuck paying £130+vat to Vaux!

Just come from dvla, right jobs worth cunt there "did you know it's an offence to drive a car to a dvla office on trade plates"

Erm no sorry wanker.

Ed if you get a V62 and send it off you should be able to get away without paying the £25, there's a bit you tick saying I don't enclose £25 as the vehicle has been a cat d/c.
NovaGTE2

21st Aug 13 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair they have go a lot quicker; when I applied for the log book on the A1 it was back within a week
ed

21st Aug 13 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NovaGTE2
quote:

I plan to do this for spare key. I have all book pack and full stamped history, was all in the car. Just need a spare key. Fuck paying £130+vat to Vaux!

Just come from dvla, right jobs worth cunt there "did you know it's an offence to drive a car to a dvla office on trade plates"

Erm no sorry wanker.

Ed if you get a V62 and send it off you should be able to get away without paying the £25, there's a bit you tick saying I don't enclose £25 as the vehicle has been a cat d/c.

Not sure if I can get away with that? The form says that applies to Cat C's only

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/209995/v62.pdf
AndyCorsaSport

21st Aug 13 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True didn't think about that.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Aug 13 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where are you getting the car?
ed

21st Aug 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I go for this one, a bloke in Surrey advertising on eBay. Though I'd be happy with anything cheap so if another one comes up I might grab that.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Aug 13 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a 2008/57 going through on Friday, 72k in white, wants a back bumper and the boot floor hitting with hammers, you want me to have a bid?
ed

21st Aug 13 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too sure if I want one which has that sort of damage which needs sorting. Any pics?
ed

21st Aug 13 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(Unless the price was right, of course).
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Aug 13 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Price is what you bid so just don't go in too keen. I'll send you the link when I'm at my proper computer.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cat D 22 database queries in 0.0184159 seconds