corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » How do I reload windows ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do I reload windows ?
baza31

User status: Offline
27th Aug 13 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a hp pc with xp professional on it. I have a sticker with product key. I have no discs . How would I reload it ?
gooner_47

27th Aug 13 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to obtain a Windows installation disk. Be it legally, or through other means... (ISO, burn, boot).
Dom

27th Aug 13 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You might have a recovery partition on the disk - repeatedly hit F10 or F11 when switching the system on. Alternatively i believe HP has a tool that allows you to start the system up in recovery mode (it's on the HP site).

Failing that, do as Gooner mentioned - grab a XP Professional disc and use that.

Edit - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07145#N113

[Edited on 27-08-2013 by Dom]
evilrob
Premium Member

27th Aug 13 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try and find a Windows XP image with Service Pack 3 to save yourself arsing about with system updates which requires multiple downloads, reboots and usually takes longer than actually installing XP in the first place.

If you can't, here's how to make an SP3 slipstreamed disc to save a bit of time:
http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

Personally I'd try and borrow a legit disc off someone; I'm always paranoid about wonkiness added to bonky copies off teh internets.

You want at least a disc with SP1 on it, if not SP2, as any copy of Windows XP prior to SP1 doesn't natively support drives larger than 137Gb. This means it probably won't "see" your hard drive without a bit of faff if you've got a larger capacity hard drive. Moral of the story is: get a Windows XP Service Pack 3 disc/image - it will potentially save you a bunch of hassle.

[Edited on 27-08-2013 by evilrob]

New Poll