corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Galaxy Gear Smartwatch

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Galaxy Gear Smartwatch
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
4th Sep 13 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks interesting - http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/samsung-unveils-galaxy-gear/

Bit pricey for my liking - guessing ~£250 over here. I have a feeling they have released before they have refined the product to get a jump on the market. 1 day battery is not great.
John

4th Sep 13 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely been rushed out.

Not sure about the segment at all tbh.
A2H GO

4th Sep 13 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently Apple are also fighting with 1 day battery life on the iWatch which is preventing it's release, tbf it's all you get on a phone these days. I think 1.5 days would be sufficient.

£250 isn't bad, iWatch will be at least £400 I reckon.

Can you watch the event anywhere?

[Edited on 04-09-2013 by A2H GO]
A2H GO

4th Sep 13 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just watched the Note 3/Galaxy Gear/Tablet event stream, they even used Job's 'One more thing...' line

TBF as gimmicky and as useless as some of the Note 3 features are, I do have to hand in to Samsung for their imagination and ability to bring it to life. The 'draw a box' thing to call an app (even though there would be much more efficient ways like a side drawer you pull open) is pretty amazing to watch.

1hr 42mins in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX2zS2xIz68

Smart watch looks good, I'll wait for Apples but if I was an android user I'd definitely be tempted to get one.

[Edited on 04-09-2013 by A2H GO]
Dom

5th Sep 13 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Gear is Really liking the design of it.
Although i think it's far too expensive, it's the price of a reasonable phone; battery life is a bit cack, without going to e-ink displays i think it'll be a struggle for most manufacturers currently; and current resports suggest the gear will be limited to working with Samsung devices only (hopefully someone manages to reverse engineer the protocol and open it up to other devices)

Be interesting to see what Apple responses with though, especially design-wise.
James

5th Sep 13 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really can't see there being a mass market for this product. I would feel like such a geeky twat wearing a "smart watch".
djgritt
Premium Member

5th Sep 13 at 08:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do not want.

Can't see the point of it atall. I find having to charge a phone, which does everything I would want it to, every day a pain in the arse already, let alone having to charge a Watch on the same scale.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Sep 13 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the idea but won't buy one.

Why can't they have some sort of kinetic charging built in like a decent watch? Surely it'd produce some power which would extend the life a little?
John

5th Sep 13 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs space, which they don't have. A normal watch also uses a tiny amount of power in comparison to this sort of thing.
Rob_Quads

5th Sep 13 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
current reports suggest the gear will be limited to working with Samsung devices only (hopefully someone manages to reverse engineer the protocol and open it up to other devices)

This has been confirmed. I see what they are trying to do in building a Samsung eco-system like the Apple one but I think they will find it hard when you have companies like Sony releasing similar products which will work with any Android phone.

A2H GO

5th Sep 13 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF they didn't have to put a 720p recording camera in it, that was a bit overkill IMO.

I was expecting something 'pebble-esque' so was quite suprised with some of the functionality like actually being able to make and recieve calls, was expeting just notifications. Once it get stuff like FB and Twitter it'll be cool, but thats all it really is, it's hardly 'useful', I'd have one because I like gadgets but not because it does something I can't already do with my phone.

In terms of the design, I'm not sure about the 4 huge ugly screws heads on the front or the colourful plastic strap with the camera bulge. Overall I guess this is what you get when they don't have Apple to copy off and I'm kind of glad they've rushed to get it out first. I hope it's not, but I'd imagine it's forgotten about in 6-12 months.

[Edited on 05-09-2013 by A2H GO]
A2H GO

5th Sep 13 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
current reports suggest the gear will be limited to working with Samsung devices only (hopefully someone manages to reverse engineer the protocol and open it up to other devices)

This has been confirmed. I see what they are trying to do in building a Samsung eco-system like the Apple one but I think they will find it hard when you have companies like Sony releasing similar products which will work with any Android phone.

The key will be making one that works independantly of a phone and offers something that your phone doesn't already.
John

5th Sep 13 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'Ugly screw heads' can be found in some very expensive watches.

They might have been at one point but Apple are no longer the pinnacle of design.

Not being an Apple clone is a good thing, not a bad thing.
A2H GO

5th Sep 13 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
'Ugly screw heads' can be found in some very expensive watches.

This is a watch with a plastic strap made by Samsung though, it looks tacky IMO.

[Edited on 05-09-2013 by A2H GO]
Steve
Premium Member

5th Sep 13 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be able to root the watch
Dom

5th Sep 13 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
The key will be making one that works independantly of a phone and offers something that your phone doesn't already.

Majority of smart watches are an accessory to mobile phones rather than being a complete device themselves, as there is only so much you can do without duplicating hardware - which in-turn just makes the watch bulky.

As for the Gear, i really like the design especially when you compare it to other smart watches that are out. But i agree the camera is perhaps a little to OTT and not overly convinced with the bulge but i can see its uses.

The only feature i'd really like to see is an in-built heart-rate sensor as it'd make in an attractive alternative to sports/activity watches and would kind of make up the premium price (a decent sports/gps watch is around £100-200).
Dom

5th Sep 13 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
This is a watch with a plastic strap made by Samsung though, it looks tacky IMO.

But Apple plastic is better yeah?
A2H GO

5th Sep 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree about the heart rate thing, I was going to get one of them nike fuel bands until I saw the price so having something similar built into this would make the price more bearable.
Dom

5th Sep 13 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
will be able to root the watch

You know or are you hoping?

Hopefully it happens as then it'll potentially open it up to other devices.
A2H GO

5th Sep 13 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

But Apple plastic is better yeah?

Nothing wrong with plastic other than making the screws look out of place.
Dom

5th Sep 13 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Agree about the heart rate thing, I was going to get one of them nike fuel bands until I saw the price so having something similar built into this would make the price more bearable.

The Fuel Bands are a different kettle of fish, it's just an expensive pedometer. You're better off getting a Forerunner or similar if you're going to be using it for sports tracking.
A2H GO

5th Sep 13 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll