corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike day...
SVM 286

User status: Offline
7th Sep 13 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm after a suspension seatpost for my mountain bike as cheaply as possible.

Hopefully around the twenty quid mark as i'm properly poor at present and in debt to the eyeballs.

I've seen two or three that might fit the bill. One by 'Post Moderne' and a couple of 'System EX' versions.

There seems to be really mixed reviews for all of these though, so not sure what to opt for.

I wondered if any of the bikey element from the good folk of CS had any experiences (good or bad) with suspension posts, especially cheap ones and if anyone can recommend anything.

Cheers in advance people
SVM 286

7th Sep 13 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh btw, I think my post is 26.8mm. I need to measure it with my vernier to be sure, but the battery is flat at the mo
Ben J

7th Sep 13 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try Bike Day.
Cole

7th Sep 13 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ben says there is a 104page thread on bike stuff in sports day halfords sell suspension posts won't be much cop at £20 though
Simon

7th Sep 13 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought these were only a gimmick on crappy bikes, why do you need one?
SVM 286

7th Sep 13 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need one because my bike is a hard tail and I have disc and nerve damage in my lower back Simon.

Didn't know there was an ACTUAL 'bike day'

Btw, even 20 quid will be a struggle as i'm on SSP at the mo.

I just need to try and get some exercise as i've been house bound since March.
Simon

7th Sep 13 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough if it is medical reasons but smooth riding doesn't need suspension of any sorts really. Some of the smoothest riders I ride with offroad ride fully rigid bikes! Try taking your weight of the saddle and absorbing bumps through your knees rather than your arse.
SVM 286

7th Sep 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do, but i've got an iffy knee too and tendon damage in my right foot, so I have to share the load, hence I need to be able to sit down and pedal too.

I'm only going to be on tarmac, but even with a gel saddle and a gel wrap, the bumps i'll encounter will be too much for the kind of pain i'm in and the sort of damage i've got.

Really I need to be on a soft tail but that's out of the question, so i'm looking for a compromise.

I've already got some more appropriate tires, as the ones I have fitted at present are far too draggy for tarmac and for me in my present state.

Now I just want to soften the ride a little without having to run low tyre pressures.
Doug

8th Sep 13 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If even those slight bumps are causing you pain then you should be using an exercise bike in the gym rather than getting out on the road.

Go to your doctor and he can prescribe physiotherapy so you won't even have to pay for the gym membership.
SVM 286

8th Sep 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been signed off sick since March when I injured my back Doug.

My 'doctor'/GP is/are next to fucking useless.

They lost my referral to the back consultant for a bit over a month and it wasn't until I asked how it was going as I was sick of sitting around waiting in pain for weeks on end, that they realised and had to start the whole thing from scratch.

Physiotherapy is almost as useless as the GP. And about as non-existent with the frequency, type and duration of service/treatment I have actually received. Namely, too little, too late.

Because of my present sedentary nature, I have put on nearly 2 stone in half a year.

I do as much walking as I can bear.

I would go swimming but have no money to do so. And therefore obviously no money for gym attendance.

Walking is okay but it can get a bit boring and you don't get to see much.

You get some respite on a bike on the downhill bits, plus you get to see the sights.

I've ridden since I was 7 and have owned my current bike of choice for fifteen years.

I miss riding it. I miss riding in general.

I'm hoping that a combination of the different medications I have, plus a 'softening' of my bike's general parameters will assist me in losing a bit of weight, gaining a bit of strength and fitness back. And generally have me feeling more like part of the human race again.

Plus it's just nice to be out in the fresh air, cruising around on something that you've built and take pleasure from using.

We've actually got an exercise bike in the loft btw.

I would get it down, but i've got a bad back
_Allan_

8th Sep 13 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try this Jim. You'll soon forget about your gammy foot.

Siberia

9th Sep 13 at 06:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too sure a different sadle will help ass its more the jerking around that happens when cyclling that causes pain. Get yourself some cyling trousers/shorts with a thick arse pad in them
SVM 286

9th Sep 13 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
Try this Jim. You'll soon forget about your gammy foot.

Had me worried for a sec there. My frame is gold!
SVM 286

9th Sep 13 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
Not too sure a different sadle will help ass its more the jerking around that happens when cyclling that causes pain. Get yourself some cyling trousers/shorts with a thick arse pad in them

Did think about this.

And wearing them under my normal shorts so I don't look like a monumental bender/kiddy fiddler.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day... 22 database queries in 0.0092969 seconds