corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ml 270 cdi

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ml 270 cdi
richc

User status: Offline
10th Sep 13 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw a 2001 Mercedes ML 270 CDI for just under £3000 with 110k on the clock. Thinking of taking a punt?

Anyone had one?

I know the injectors have issues but anything else? Gearbox issues?

The guy claims he hasnt changed the injectors or had any issues with them

I've trawled forums and seem to get such a vast differences in response.

Some people claiming they have done 250k with no issues at all, and some claim they have done 80k and they are the worse car they have ever owned with electrical problems, injector, gearbox all sorts of stuff.

Thanks,

[Edited on 10-09-2013 by richc]
AndyCorsaSport

10th Sep 13 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rust of one would put me off enough. Don't know about the engines.
John

10th Sep 13 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are widely regarded as completely shit.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Sep 13 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're not sure, ask him when he wants his 2250.
Jambo

10th Sep 13 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
They are widely regarded as completely shit.

Early ones are yes. Facelift are fine.

However running costs would avbe me running a mile. Fuel is meant to be quite good though
pow
Premium Member

10th Sep 13 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DaveyLC had one, I liked it apart from the dated interior. E rated it more than the x5
lozarus

10th Sep 13 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought an ml270 over an x5 but looking back x5 would have been a much better choice. never had any problems with my ml just extremely juicy and expensive in general. cost me 800 for a set of new tyres. was really quite good off road though, never got stuck and even tugged my mates frontera grounded in a swamp out with ease. bose sound system is awesome and it was a comfy car although the interior was cheap feeling (Americans for you)

3k seems fair dependant on spec (you can get x5 dervs for 3-4k). i paid 6.5 for mine 2 years ago. there are some pics in my project thread if u can find it.
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 13 at 08:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 3k X5 diesel will be an absolute dog
lozarus

11th Sep 13 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pay for wat u get. want a cheap feeling merc with 1 inch panel gaps or a much nicer interior more refined gearbox and something a bit less agriculturey (to drive)
Jambo

12th Sep 13 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People said the Grand Cherokee was agricultural to drive that I had. It was not. I don't get peoples need to make a 4x4 handle like a car. Im not saying it is a bad thing, but neither is a nice big soft wallowy 4x4. I like that about them

Personal preference and all
pow
Premium Member

12th Sep 13 at 08:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lozarus
pay for wat u get. want a cheap feeling merc with 1 inch panel gaps or a much nicer interior more refined gearbox and something a bit less agriculturey (to drive)

But what I'm saying is the prices of the cars in the market mean that you'd get an okay ML270 for 3k, perhaps 100k on the clock with leather and a few toys, okay not quite as nice inside but the drive between the two isn't that much difference.

For 3k you'd get a 2001/2 X5 with 150k+ on it, pixels missing on all displays, interior worn because 56 kids have been climbing in and out of it all day long, turbo on the way out and a gearbox waiting to shit itself (ask Whittie).
johnhara1

12th Sep 13 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an 2003 ML270 CDI

Fuel economy was appalling.

It was so bad that when we driove it home from Scotland we actually stopped to check if there was a diesel leak
DaveyLC

12th Sep 13 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an ML.. Great car really, I had a 2001, no rust, drove perfectly... But the interiors are dire compare to a Discovery or a X5, much more reliable car though! Gear box and engine are bullet proof too..

quote:
Originally posted by pow
A 3k X5 diesel will be an absolute dog

^^THIS... If you find an X5 3.0D for £3k there's an idiot involved and its either the person selling it or the one buying it
DaveyLC

12th Sep 13 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnhara1
I had an 2003 ML270 CDI

You want to try driving the X5.. The ML270 is massively economical compared to the X5 On a 450 mile round trip I nearly saw 40mpg with the ML.. The X5 would rarely push past 27 even on the motorway and tended to average 23..

[Edited on 12-09-2013 by DaveyLC]
DaveyLC

12th Sep 13 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lozarus
i bought an ml270 over an x5 but looking back x5 would have been a much better choice. never had any problems with my ml just extremely juicy and expensive in general. cost me 800 for a set of new tyres. was really quite good off road though, never got stuck and even tugged my mates frontera grounded in a swamp out with ease. bose sound system is awesome and it was a comfy car although the interior was cheap feeling (Americans for you)

3k seems fair dependant on spec (you can get x5 dervs for 3-4k). i paid 6.5 for mine 2 years ago. there are some pics in my project thread if u can find it.

The ML is SOO much cheaper to run than the X5...

Set of branded tyres for the X5 = £1200, they are shit on diesel and suffer badly from electrical and mechanical faults..

The ML is nowhere near as refined but its a damn sight more economical and cheaper to run/buy..

As I said a £3-4k X5 diesel will be JUNK..
DaveyLC

12th Sep 13 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
turbo on the way out and a gearbox waiting to shit itself (ask Whittie).

Even BMW quote the life span on the Gearbox (its supposed to be a sealed unit) and turbo @ 100k Most don't realise the crank breather is a service item on the pre2006 so the life span on the turbo tends to be around the 80k mark

I loved the way my X5 drove and the interior was very nice but I'd never have another one... I'd definitely have another ML though.
pow
Premium Member

12th Sep 13 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stop it I want an ML
Jambo

12th Sep 13 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I had an 2003 ML270 CDI

It was so bad that when we driove it home from Scotland we actually stopped to check if there was a diesel leak

The engine is noted as being one of the most economical 4x4 powerplants available at the time. I suspect it developed a fault, or you havent driven a 4.0l suv powered by petrol!

Jambo

12th Sep 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Stop it I want an ML

So do I, but take a look at servicing costs and this affects the desire somewhat
DaveyLC

12th Sep 13 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:
I had an 2003 ML270 CDI

The engine is noted as being one of the most economical 4x4 powerplants available at the time. I suspect it developed a fault, or you havent driven a 4.0l suv powered by petrol!

Maybe it was a typo and he was driving it HOME TO SCOTLAND.. That would explain everything
johnhara1

12th Sep 13 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL we also suspected a fault

In all fairness i loved driving it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ml 270 cdi 22 database queries in 0.0139780 seconds