corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » A while ago I started a thread after I had a crash...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author A while ago I started a thread after I had a crash...
kz

User status: Offline
30th Oct 13 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And it ended up in a discussion about whether it's worth protecting your no claims or not. Now I've been driving 9 years, and have never protected any no claims, if we take an average of about £35 to do this for 8 years (obviously I wouldn't have the option the first year) we're looking at a saving of about £280 over this period of time.

Today I got my renewal, and I was shitting it (first time I've ever had a claim) and I was expecting an increase of about £200-£300 considering I had lost a couple of years no claims in the process (you don't lose them all)

My increase? £28 so, basically, in my occasion at least, it's definitely not worth protecting them.
SVM 286

30th Oct 13 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not what I would have expected at all.
kz

30th Oct 13 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe it's just Aviva... they really are the bollocks, still over £150 cheaper than the next cheapest company, which was Admiral I think.
Ben G

30th Oct 13 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good info for future reference, cheers.

Been debating on whether to protect mine for a while now.
John

30th Oct 13 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can only protect from 4 years.

Also depends how much they are charging initially as to whether that's good or not.

Also, are you down to 0 nbc or did they just take a couple off?
Ben G

30th Oct 13 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He would've lost 2. Thats what my insurer told me.
John

30th Oct 13 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a reason for not protecting them then, if you are above 5 anyway, only losing 2 won't make much difference. If you lost them all it would be different.

[Edited on 30-10-2013 by John]
Steve
Premium Member

31st Oct 13 at 08:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think there has generally been a decrease in premiums anyway so that may have absorbed some of the icnrease
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Oct 13 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you get any other quotes either? Most renewal offers seem to go up anyway, even if you have a clean year...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

31st Oct 13 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do wonder this, as always protected mine, and remember it costing as much as £70 once.

Never crashed or claimed so i might of wasted loads of money really.

Might be a bit wild next year and not bother protecting it, does seem like another gimmick for them to earn money from.
big eck

31st Oct 13 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never really got this protected no claims even tho I've paid for it the last 3 years lol. The way I see it is if you make a claim your 9 yrs bonus is still intact, however once your renewal comes through they can still bump up your premium due to making a claim. Is this the case???
Gary
Premium Member

31st Oct 13 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly. Hence why they ask you if you've been involved in any accidents. If it was purely based on NCB they wouldn't ask.

big eck

31st Oct 13 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So paying the extra for protected ncb is a waste of money then???
A2H GO

31st Oct 13 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
I've never really got this protected no claims even tho I've paid for it the last 3 years lol. The way I see it is if you make a claim your 9 yrs bonus is still intact, however once your renewal comes through they can still bump up your premium due to making a claim. Is this the case???

That's the way I see it, only you don't take the 'double hit' of both having had and accident AND loosing NCB, just the hit of having had the accident, which is presumably less.
pow
Premium Member

31st Oct 13 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would have been worth it for me as I'vebeen stepped back from 5 years to 3 due to (not knowingly) having it. It's cost me as well.
Ben G

31st Oct 13 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, but if you have more than 5 years then it probably wouldn't be worth it.
kz

1st Nov 13 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
It would have been worth it for me as I'vebeen stepped back from 5 years to 3 due to (not knowingly) having it. It's cost me as well.

That's exactly what happened to me, from 5 to 3.

Although, I had 8, but Aviva only counts it as 5 which is their maximum. I wonder if I leave them and go to another company will I have 6? i.e. 8 - 2, or 3
Ben G

1st Nov 13 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well thats rather confusing.
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Nov 13 at 07:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had you crashed a couple of years the circumstances would had been massively different, and I would have imagined come renewal you would have suffered.

For me it's all about risk. It's taken you 8 years to get to the point that it tips in your favour, and I think that the risk outweighs the cost at £35 a year. For me I would pay £35 for piece of mind driving especially in the early years.

kz

2nd Nov 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay but in theory I've gone from 8 years NCB to 3 years NCB and it's cost me £28 which is £5.60 per year.

Why pay £35+ per year to save myself from losing £5.60 per year?
fred7

3rd Nov 13 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im struggling to understand why protecting only costs you £35 its always been £80+ for me to protect. I have 9 years now and just renewed didnt protect because wanted £100 this year
John

3rd Nov 13 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never cost me that much to protect or I wouldn't have bothered. Don't think it's ever been more than £15 extra.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » A while ago I started a thread after I had a crash... 23 database queries in 0.0147781 seconds