corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Strange video error

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Strange video error
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
14th Nov 13 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got two video cards in this computer, one ATI FirePro 2450 which runs four screens and an NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 which runs a further two.

Problem was also apparent on the previous dual head card which was an ATI FirePro 2270. (Overheated and was binned).

Basically whenever Firefox starts using lots of memory, a maximised screen will be black. You still get task bar on that monitor (running Ultramon so have a bar on each screen) and a title bar belonging to the app, but nothing between them.

Can solve it by closing a few windows. Also goes if the window is not maximised.

Sometimes does it with large windows which are spanned over a few desktops, did a comparison of some cameras on dpreview.com yesterday and it did it then.

No idea where to start, web search is difficult to get specific leads, nothing in ATI or NVIDIA support about it, nothing I can find about Firefox having problems (thinking software rather than hardware as it did it on the old card as well).

Drivers are up to date.

Running XP 64.

Other than that, not sure where to even start.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Nov 13 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are any of them overclocked? Got strange things like this running an overclocked ATI card a while back.

Id also consider a faulty block of RAM
Steve
Premium Member

14th Nov 13 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try running it with various sticks removed and see if problem goes
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Nov 13 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some kind of wonky system/graphics memory limit, maybe?

6 screens at I assume reasonably high resolutions at 32-bits per pixel all adds up.

[Edited on 14-11-2013 by evilrob]
Dom

14th Nov 13 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it only happen in FF? Or does it affect other applications?
Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration within FF? - might be worth a go.

Can you replicate the issue with another browser?

Assuming you've done the usual of updating drivers and FF etc?

Run GPU-Z and Task Manager and see if you're not running out of resources as it certainly sounds like a 'lack of' memory issue. Worth also keeping an eye on the temps of the cards and system, just incase something is getting a bit hot.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Nov 13 at 22:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not overclocked.

4Gb of RAM which was the reason for going for XP 64

Monitors are all 1280 x 1024 x 32

Its not so much when you fill them, its when you have 25* windows open and open number 26*, it maximises black.

* - roughly

Never seen it in other apps but then I don't labour them as much.

Will try all the other suggestions, cheers.
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Nov 13 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know how Firefox deals with caching rendered pages but I imagine that many screens with multiple instances of Firefox and multiple tabs is going to be spanking resources.

I assume you already block Flash / have uninstalled it completely?
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Nov 13 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As an aside - what happened to the flirting with Windows 7 idea? I'm sure I pointed you in the direction of 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to get a more familiar look and feel at one point?

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

edit: I did - here:
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=651618&page=2

[Edited on 14-11-2013 by evilrob]

New Poll