corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike licence advice day

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike licence advice day
Gaz

User status: Offline
16th Nov 13 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is potentially an opportunity opening up for me where I will need to travel approx 60miles a day. I'm currently in a fabia vRS and the journey will involve a major hotspot of motorway buildup a, so for two reasons I'm looking to see what options I have in terms of getting on a motorbike. Mileage (mpg) and travel time would significantly be better on a bike than in a car.

After countless googles I've confused myself and need a fresh pair of eyes.
I'm 27, have no bike licence or CBT but have held a car licence since 2004. My licence states I have 'AM' from the dates of 25.7.13 to 4.7.56. Looking online this allows me up to a 125cc I think but without a CBT, can I jump straight onto one?

What licence would be next to get on a bigger bike (not looking to jump on a z1000 or a bandit 1200) but I'm thinking if it's going to be worth while doing then I'd attempt to gain a licence to get me on a bike with a little more comfort in the traffic like a 400cc

Anyone have recent experience of this since all the changes occurred?
Mo

16th Nov 13 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U need a CBT to get on any bike. Then if u decided to go for a bigger bike ( anything bigger than a 125cc) then u need to do your big bike license which consists of 2 tests (mod 1&2)
AlexW

16th Nov 13 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a CBT.

Then your best choice is DAS, speak to a school about that, but expect to pay £6/700

I've had my license two years and its deffo worth it.
Gaz

16th Nov 13 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and also, my car theory test isn't valid for a bike either is it?
Mo

16th Nov 13 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope need to do new theory test for bike
Gaz

16th Nov 13 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks chaps... not a cheap doo is it! I'm going to have to sit down and work out some costings but I'm already convincing myself that if this opportunity goes ahead a bike for the main commute would save me a lot of cash.
AlexW

16th Nov 13 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With bikes, the first year is bloody expensive, purchase of gear etc, then upgrading your gear once you have your expensive license etc.

Theory is very very similar to car, just a couple of bike questions thrown in like pillion carrying and being more wary of tyres etc.

I'd suggest getting a 125 for a couple of months, on L's and see how you like it, You'll likely get hooked and do your full license, but in the mean time its super cheap transport, 125's will get around 100mpg, and they can be picked up cheaply and passed on at similar prices a few months later.
Gaz

16th Nov 13 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad rides so I'm pretty sure some of the gear can be nicked off him. I also understand your first bike is likely to get dropped so I'd be looking to pick up a bike that isn't going to cost F all to begin with for that inevitable moment or encounter with the tarmac.

How would you think a 125cc would get on with Motorway journeys of approx 25miles flat out? I'd have presumed a little engine like that wouldn't like to sit at a high speed.
bally2010
Premium Member

16th Nov 13 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cagiva mito 125 will be good enough bike for you imo. sits at 80mph easily.
Simon_16v

16th Nov 13 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
You need a CBT.

Then your best choice is DAS, speak to a school about that, but expect to pay £6/700

I've had my license two years and its deffo worth it.

As Alex said tbh. Cost me about the same and I did one lesson before the mod 1 and mod 2 tests and was still a fortune
Simon_16v

16th Nov 13 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also I was insured on a Suzuki Bandit 600 at 21 for £330 TPF&T which i thought was pretty good
Andrew

16th Nov 13 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M62 heading towards Manchester Gaz?

I want to cut my throat every morning at the moment!
Gaz

16th Nov 13 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M62/m6/m56 could be the journey
Or over the bridge and down the m56 but it will get toll'd soon and I refuse to pay it.
bigron1988

16th Nov 13 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
M62/m6/m56 could be the journey
Or over the bridge and down the m56 but it will get toll'd soon and I refuse to pay it.

runcorn bridge getting toll'd?
Gaz

16th Nov 13 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, we the new bridge is built they are apparently both getting done.
It's a joke to be honest. Everyone will simply go and fuck bridgefoot up in Warrington as that cannot handle traffic but will be free.
Sunz

17th Nov 13 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get a 125 I would just go with a cg125 or gilera runner vx, 125 geared "sports" bikes are stupidly expensive, more so when you'll only have it for a very short amount of time.

I did my full bike licence in April of this year, it's really expensive and very strict now, the £600/£700 is if you pass first time and then your looking at £80 up to £150 a for each resit depending on the one you failed on.

I think in all mine cost about £1000. I messed up the mod1 twice and had to resit them, bloody slalom course.

CBT, easy stuff, only complete idiots can fail it.

Mod 1, this is a manoeuvres test where you're put in to a big pen, cones on the floor etc, a bit like the diving tests in Gran Turismo.

Mod 2, this is the final test where you're out on the road for 40-60 minutes and it's not as strict as the Mod 1 as in they can't see you're every move and as you have driven a car for a while you should be okay.

The price of the course you take will also depend on your previous experience, if you have never ridden a bike on the road or only for a very short amount of time they might say you need to book a 5 day course which makes it more expensive.

Gear isn't too bad to get, you can get a lot of items from ebay, people wear them a few times and then sell them but don't buy a second hand crash helmet there.

Bikes only go as fast as you want them, I would think something like an Sv650n would be a nice first bike, doesn't have a huge amount of horse power but it's a decent cruiser, comfortable and plenty around. (Get a bike will fuel injection, much better ) Er6 is also a nice bike.
I say this because I have an sv650s and it's my first bike and have found it super easy to ride, very light, loads of torque and sounds great which is always important for a bike.

Once you have decent gear, you wont get wet or cold, so it's really important to get quality items.

[Edited on 17-11-2013 by Sunz]
gazza808

17th Nov 13 at 03:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't ride a 125 on a cbt on a motorway....

I did mine two years ago,

Honestly it's piss easy if you have common sense, passed my theory on the Friday,
Booked my course for the Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday a few weeks later,
Cbt on the Friday, then 500's rest of the course
Had mod one and mod two on the Tuesday which was slightly stressful, but flew through.

Lucky for you, being 27 you can still take the old style direct access.
fred7

17th Nov 13 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started a job in march 30 miles away in brum so started off on the bike (honda 125) and was great at first till the cold weather comes. I was nearly knocked off and crushed up a car a few times so thought it wasn't worth it and went back to my car.

[Edited on 17-11-2013 by fred7]
Gaz

17th Nov 13 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sunz / gazza - many thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for b

Fred - harsh winters would see me back in a car too. Having a office job means walking in soaked to the bone everyday would make me go postal! However this is all set towards saving cash, I understand the risks and dangers that come along with it :-)
fred7

17th Nov 13 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It did save me about 10 mins a day (would be more now) and about £20 a week. Good luck with your test tho
Simon_16v

17th Nov 13 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bikes are pretty economical if you ride them gentle, I could use £10 of petrol on my bandit going York to Selby (15miles approx) on the backroads
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Nov 13 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have half decent gear then you won't really get that wet. The problem is more turning up freezing cold and your hands going red and feeling like they're on fire once you get indoors But a good pair of gloves should help that. Mine probably weren't ideal for winter. I had a Kawasaki BN125 for a couple of years which got me to college/work etc no trouble, even through the worst weather. As long as you're not stupid and read other drivers well to spot when they might do something stupid like pull out etc, then you'll generally be alright. Nothing beats cruising about on two wheels

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Daimo B

18th Nov 13 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

60 miles per day on a 125cc, owch.

I used to do 32, the bikes didn't last long. 20+ miles, each way, on the motorway, sat at top revs doesn't do small engines good.

Gear is key, but not always big brands. Good textile kit, good gloves, good waterproof boots (not these colourful sports boots), good thermals, and heated grips. Hell, bar ends if its really cold.

I done 10 years commuting on a bike, well over 200,000 miles etc. I've got tips (like dab a small bit of washing up liquid on a tissue, wipe on inside of visor, wait, wipe off. Boom, free anti fog ).

Look at a 250cc 4 stroke, or as mentioned, look at an upright 600cc or SV650.

Temps, winter can get very harsh, snow isn't fun to ride in (well it is, just not if you need to get somewhere).

Summes great, winter sucks.
250cc will be up in the 60-70mpg region. A 600, your looking at 45-55mpg.
Daimo B

18th Nov 13 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, depending on your trip, it isn't actually that much more expensive. For me, travelling to London, it was actually cheaper to get a train,, factoring tyres (few thousand miles), servicing (few thousand miles), buying new kit, boots, etc etc.

But, filtering through a traffic jam, middle of summer, bugs wacking the visor, whilst everyone sits in their cars made it all worth it.

I don't do it anymore, it starts to take its toll on you after a while.
flybikeslee

18th Nov 13 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck riding a bike in cold wet icy weather though. i only ever used mine on a good day. hence me selling it. didnt get enough use

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike licence advice day 23 database queries in 0.0170839 seconds