corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Neilsen or Sealey

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Neilsen or Sealey
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
24th Nov 13 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Quality-1-2-Ratchet-11-Long-Quick-Release-72-Teeth-Garage-Toolbox-/221248633163?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item338372394b

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-RATCHET-EXTRA-LONG-600mm-1-2-DRIVE-72Teeth-/360407038675?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53e9eefad3

Sealey being slightly shorter and more expensive, but I've got some Sealey stuff and its OK.

Thinking of one for stuff like wishbone bushes, where a standard ratchet handle hasn't really got enough leverage, but a breaker bar is a pain because you need to keep restarting it.

Not sure if they're designed for breaker bar tasks though? More about leverage than reach.
Tiger

24th Nov 13 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go Sealey myself mate.
corsadonk
Premium Member

24th Nov 13 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the Sealey one on my van without the rubber handle, and it's spot on. I use it on all sorts of plant.

But I do tend crack tight stuff with the breaker bar first.
SVM 286

24th Nov 13 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Quality-1-2-Ratchet-11-Long-Quick-Release-72-Teeth-Garage-Toolbox-/221248633163?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item338372394b

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-RATCHET-EXTRA-LONG-600mm-1-2-DRIVE-72Teeth-/360407038675?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53e9eefad3

Sealey being slightly shorter and more expensive, but I've got some Sealey stuff and its OK.

Thinking of one for stuff like wishbone bushes, where a standard ratchet handle hasn't really got enough leverage, but a breaker bar is a pain because you need to keep restarting it.

Not sure if they're designed for breaker bar tasks though? More about leverage than reach.

Not familiar with Neilsen Ian. Much of a muchness between the two I would have thought. Plus they look almost identical.

If the cheaper one is longer, i'd be going for that personally. Unless it's going to be getting used heavily and regularly. Using it like a breaker bar will tend to wear the ratchet at an accelerated rate. Might be worth checking if an overhaul/repair kit as available for either or both.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Nov 13 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always start with the breaker.

Same with my ratchet spanners, always start with a normal one.

Think that will probably work harder because its in situations where a shorter handle won't do.

Hopefully it'll cope being stronger than a short one.
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Nov 13 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really need to sort a breaker bar, keep using my torque wrench for it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Nov 13 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love mine, best tool in the box. Just don't like using it many times for the same bolt

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_871139_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

This one is about 22 quid with the trade discount.
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Nov 13 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One to collect next time I go in, along with a 21mm box... Keep using my adjustable and it'll end in tears sooner or later.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SVM 286

25th Nov 13 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

Kyle, get yourself to a calibrators Chief. It might be fucked already, but worth getting it checked to see if it's still usable, if you're likely to need it to be accurate (head gaskets). Using em like breaker bars fucks em
SVM 286

25th Nov 13 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I love mine, best tool in the box. Just don't like using it many times for the same bolt

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_871139_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

This one is about 22 quid with the trade discount.

I've got one of those. I think it was Laser branded. Got it from my lovely little old local car spares/tools/accessories shop, which is now no more

Absolute bargain. SO much cheaper than a Snap-On item. I only got it to have in the car or the garage instead of the traditional crap OE wheel brace or semi useless chocolate spider-brace, but it's been great and is so much easier to use than what you get with the car usually. Also, you can change the head if you snap it. I bought a spare head
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:

Kyle, get yourself to a calibrators Chief. It might be fucked already, but worth getting it checked to see if it's still usable, if you're likely to need it to be accurate (head gaskets). Using em like breaker bars fucks em

It was only a cheap one, I've dropped some hints for Christmas!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
alan-g-w

25th Nov 13 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of those two I'd be going for the Neilson one, looks like it's had more thought put into the design of it which would indicate better quality imo. No experience of either, though I bought Neilson Allen sockets and they're absolutely solid.

[Edited on 25-11-2013 by alan-g-w]
craig8
Premium Member

26th Nov 13 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The same Nielsen one but a few quid cheaper 350910500436

Never used Nielsen tools before but can't stand sealey ratchets at all, for the price of this neilsen ratchet I'm going to get one

[Edited on 26-11-2013 by craig8]

[Edited on 26-11-2013 by craig8]

E36 328
SVM 286

26th Nov 13 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:

It was only a cheap one, I've dropped some hints for Christmas!

Ah ha
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Jan 15 at 05:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update, bought the Neilsen and its done a year or so and now will sometimes jump off the direction and spin freely.

Can still use it if you make sure the direction is firmly chosen but I've lost confidence in it, only reason I need the length is to be on heavy stuff, and that's not really when you want it failing.

Will update in 2017 or before about the Sealey one.
craig8
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I broke my Nielsen one but only because a put a scaffolding tube on the end of it as I couldn't get a breaker bar or my 3/4 inch ratchet into the space, up until then it was decent for the money

E36 328

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Neilsen or Sealey 23 database queries in 0.0122359 seconds