corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another PC Q

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another PC Q
viera

User status: Offline
10th May 03 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering,....

Backgroud.............

I have been having problems with my PC (currupt files, that blue error screen, crashing so i have to turn it off by the plug and the scan disc doesn't scan my C:\ it gets stuck and just scans my other hard drive).

I have been advised to back up my files and downloaded software and use the boot disk i have and this will fix the problem.

This is all good but my question is...........

If i back up my files and then run the boot disc, what will happen with my other hard drive, will it need to be configured back again after or will Windows remember it and leave it how it was. A mate partitioned my 2nd hard drive in to two 40 gig parts through DOS as i aint got a clue, will i need him to do this again after the boot disc.

Window ME by the way............

Sorry for the essay guys, cheers
LoudCorsa

10th May 03 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

windows ME

chaz

www.woah.co.uk
viera

10th May 03 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Er... Millenium (spelling??) Why????
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th May 03 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm interesting, any weird noises?

could be hardware problem, mainly pointing the blame on hard drive or RAM, (blue screen of death is blamed on RAM alot of the time)
best bet if you have a CDwriter put all your important stuff onto CD, format all drives, reinstall onto primary partition/drive and start from scratch, get onto the internet and download all the patches off windows update
willay
Premium Member

10th May 03 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

windows ME = Windows Mellieumwefmwefw

failing what I said, change the RAM see if it makes a difference. FAILING that blame the HD. Good luck
viera

10th May 03 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate,

I have 384mb of ram so that should be the problem, no weird noises, it's just got a bit louder over time, but i thought that was normal....

If i format my C drive will i lose every thing, even the hidden stuff as i didn't get a Windows CD with my PC just the boot disc as apparently all the OS stuff is all in the hidden part of my C drive. (Brought from PCworld btw)
LoudCorsa

10th May 03 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your problem is having brought a pc with ME on it - it sucks the big one, i bet you got it from like PC world to eh? - if so u will get fook all service from them they would rather flog u another crappy pc - what u need to do is get a new hard drve - bang it in, unplug the old ones install XP or anything except ME and use that - u shoud then be able to just plug your drives back in and copy any surviving data to your new drive - once thats done unplug yer fecked drive and chuck it in the bin - then plug your second working drive in too - hey presto your pc is no lonnger a crapper (well i dunno bout that but u shud have yer stuff and a working pc)

chaz

www.woah.co.uk
willay
Premium Member

10th May 03 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes format should delete everything. You ever done a reinstall before?
viera

10th May 03 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LoudCorsa
your problem is having brought a pc with ME on it - it sucks the big one, i bet you got it from like PC world to eh? - if so u will get fook all service from them they would rather flog u another crappy pc - what u need to do is get a new hard drve - bang it in, unplug the old ones install XP or anything except ME and use that - u shoud then be able to just plug your drives back in and copy any surviving data to your new drive - once thats done unplug yer fecked drive and chuck it in the bin - then plug your second working drive in too - hey presto your pc is no lonnger a crapper (well i dunno bout that but u shud have yer stuff and a working pc)

chaz

www.woah.co.uk

My PC aint crap thanks, getting on a bit but thats all, and how do you know it is a fcuked HDD, it could be currupt files or something as simple. I am obviously going to try and fix it before spending cash on a new HDD that i may not need. And you havn't aswered my original question, all i wanted to know was will my pc remember i have another HDD if i use my boot disc, as i don't know how to install/partition them. And if i don'y know that, how am i going to know how to do what you asked me too do.

Willay, thanks for your replies, i havn't done any of this sort of thing before so i may wait to get my mate to sort it for me.
willay
Premium Member

10th May 03 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes get someone who knows what they are doing mate, better then trying and failing and ending up with a machine that wont boot
LoudCorsa

10th May 03 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

touchy

i am sorry i just assumed impending hardware failure - shudda remembered that it is ME after all it could just be one of the bugs thats doing it

chaz

www.woah.co.uk

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another PC Q 22 database queries in 0.2483270 seconds