corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple TV

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple TV
C2RL R

User status: Offline
30th Dec 13 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone successfully using the remote app to control their Apple TV? I keep having to constantly turn home sharing off and back on again to get my libraries to display on the iPad. It tells me that it is not turned on in iTunes on my laptop but i know that it is already on. Also, my mate has one at his house and he has never managed to get his libraries to display and can only use gesture control which is no use if you're in a different room.
Seems like there are thousands of questions posted on apple support forums about the same thing but I can't seem to find any solutions. I get the feeling that apple aren't too interested in finding fixes for these bugs.

Anyone else having issues?
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple are notoriously bad at fixing AppleTV bugs.

What does your laptop have to do with controlling AppleTV from your iPad?

C2RL R

30th Dec 13 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want your libraries to display on the iPad then you need home sharing turned on on your PC. Mine works when I first switch it on but after 10 mins or so it tells me that home sharing isn't switched on, which it actually is.
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After 10 minutes of playing or just 10 minutes standby?

Just downloaded the Remote app to see how it acts.

Could it be WiFi related? Loss of signal, device jumps to a different hotspot, something like that?

Simon_16v

30th Dec 13 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can use my remote without iTunes running for my Apple TVs?
evilrob
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Could it be WiFi related? Loss of signal, device jumps to a different hotspot, something like that?

I reckon it's probably exactly this.
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
I can use my remote without iTunes running for my Apple TVs?
I think what's going on is that he's using the Remote app to play music from iTunes on the laptop to AppleTV via AirPlay.

I usually just play directly from my phone as it has the whole library anyway.
Also the AppleTV can stream all iTunes bought content directly from the Apple servers. Not sure if this is a US only feature though, but it might be.

evilrob
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the AppleTV can stream all iTunes bought content directly from the Apple servers. Not sure if this is a US only feature though, but it might be.

It's not. I can do it on mine. It's a right faff though - the interface is shite.
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno, find it pretty straight forward. But then it's exactly like Frontrow used to be.

For a better interface you can use an iDevice and you just get the iPod UI.

evilrob
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Dunno, find it pretty straight forward. But then it's exactly like Frontrow used to be.

For a better interface you can use an iDevice and you just get the iPod UI.

The most irritating thing about streaming your purchased iTunes in the cloud content is the not insignificant buffering delay when changing tracks.

It's not my internet connection; I have BT Infinity delivering 60-70Mb/s typically. As of just now:

Spotify works much better for streaming music in my experience. When I had an iPhone, I used to stream from Spotify either to the telly (connected to the home cinema speakers) via the Apple TV or to the iPod Hifi in the kitchen via an Airplay adaptor and playback was almost instantaneous.

[Edited on 30-12-2013 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never noticed that, but just gave it a test.

Switching a track forward happens literally instantly, which makes me think maybe buffering of the next track happens in the background!?

Supporting this theory is the fact that switching backwards does cause a small delay. Nothing I'd call significant, though.

Either way, for a free streaming service I'm definitely not complaining.

evilrob
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've never noticed that, but just gave it a test.

Switching a track forward happens literally instantly, which makes me think maybe buffering of the next track happens in the background!?

Supporting this theory is the fact that switching backwards does cause a small delay. Nothing I'd call significant, though.

Either way, for a free streaming service I'm definitely not complaining.

I didn't say it was significant; I said it was not insignificant - in isolation it doesn't seem too bad, but it really starts to grate after a short while. Streaming iTunes in the Cloud content works much better on both the Mac and the iPhone/iPad; it's only the Apple TV streaming that gets on my tits. It's not a WiFi issue as it's connected via ethernet cable straight to the router.

I think I've probably just been spoilt by the speedy nature of Spotify.

In fairness, iTunes in the Cloud works much better than Xbox Music, Microsoft's equivalent, which is truly woeful. Rdio can do one as well.

[Edited on 30-12-2013 by evilrob]
andys sxi
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend got one of these for Christmas they are pretty good, she tryed getting a film off iTunes but it takes ages to download, her Internet connection isn't that good tho

Going to get it jailbroken I was looking last night and there loads of things you can do on it

April 08 feature car
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't jailbreak the current gen AppleTV.

Simon_16v

30th Dec 13 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Balling said, the latest Apple TVs cant be jailbroken. I recently purchased a 2nd generation Apple TV just to jailbreak and there are a few nice features available once jailbroken
MarkM

30th Dec 13 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an ATV2 that just sits there as my internet is shite 2MB approx so using it to stream anything is painful!
andys sxi
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How will I know which gen this one is?

April 08 feature car
Dom

30th Dec 13 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andys sxi
How will I know which gen this one is?

If it was purchased in the 18 months then it's likely to be an ATV3; but have a look at - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5823

However, you can install Plex on AT3 but you need a Plex server running on a computer/NAS box.

[Edited on 30-12-2013 by Dom]
andys sxi
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah just looked and it's the 3rd gen

Any idea when it an be jailbroken?

April 08 feature car
A2H GO

30th Dec 13 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably never.
andys sxi
Premium Member

31st Dec 13 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure there will be one soon, they've been able to hack every other software

April 08 feature car
Simon_16v

31st Dec 13 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt it, from what I've read there is nobody working on the device as they aren't as popular as iphones etc
Balling
Premium Member

31st Dec 13 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andys sxi
I'm sure there will be one soon, they've been able to hack every other software
Well it's been out nearly two years now, so don't hold your breath.

Simon_16v

31st Dec 13 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plex is good enough on the Apple TV 3, I used it for long enough before i got my Apple TV 2 and the UI is nice, it automatically adds metadata etc
Rob_Quads

31st Dec 13 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm still hoping for a jailbreak. From what I have read now they have managed to break the iPhone 5 on iOS7 then it should be possible to do the Apple TV, unfortunately it needs some time investment.

IMO its worth doing as there is such potential in the device. It would very quickly get a huge following.

I would much prefer a Native Plex app than the Trailer hack, although its better than nothing

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll