corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who do track days

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author People who do track days
big eck

User status: Offline
9th Feb 14 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm hoping to do one at the end of the month and I'm looking for advice.

What kind of prep work did you do to the car prior to putting the car on???

Mine has just been serviced and also had new front brakes along with new fluid. The tyres are very good also.

What else do you need to check???
Robin
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a lot really, obviously engine oil but you've got the rest covered I reckon.
craig8
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I usually check wheel nuts and tyre pressures before going on but you have most things covered already

E36 328
big eck

9th Feb 14 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got some oil left over from the service so gonna take that with me and check it throughout the day. I was told to over fill it slightly in case of oil surge. This true???
craig8
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't say, mine sits on the high mark when warm and doesn't move from there so never felt the need to top it up

E36 328
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 11:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I did my first track laps at Trax, my brakes were useless after three laps - and the pads were almost new too.

Since got some Carbone Lorraine RC5+s which I fitted for my full day at Cadwell Park and my mental capacity for driving gave up long before the brakes even threatened it.

I'd really consider some "branded" performance pads if not installed already, even if you've got loads of meat on your current ones. Can't think of a better way to ruin your day 15mins into it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Can't think of a better way to ruin your day 15mins into it

In fact, don't crash on your sighting lap

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
big eck

9th Feb 14 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been advised to limit to 20mins max sessions and its crucial to do a cool down lap for the brakes sake lol. Also park up using wheel chalks if possible instead of using the handbrake???
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 12:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I was pretty tired after 15mins tbh, and really enjoyed the social side of things too - so didn't feel I had to be on track as much as physically possible. (red flags helped too!)

At Trax, I only had a single 20min session and it was "ruined" about 5mins into that due to the brakes

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
craig8
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's all good advice, my brakes were getting iffy after 30 mins so I'll be going out around 15 mins at a time on this one

E36 328
*CorsaCal*

9th Feb 14 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As people have already said the most important things are tyres (including pressures) and brakes other than that just check ur oil and coolant levels. As kyle said decent pads are a must. My first time at mallory my standard GM pads went fron new to dead in about 15mins. The wheels where black n they started silver! Lol.
taylorboosh

9th Feb 14 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need a go pro imo
dewismotorsport

9th Feb 14 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do a full nut and bolt check also just to confirm everything is tight.

What brakes and tyres do you have? As above they will die first. Remove all unnecessary crap out the car and make sure toeing eyes are fitted or visible at least else they will just hook it around anything and drag you off track.

Most importantly just take it steady and build up as tracks can bite you in the arse if your going too fast for your car or limits.
chris_uk
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you dont already just get some good pads.. And check over all working parts of the car..
corsadonk
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fresh brake fluid will also help.
Daimo B

10th Feb 14 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people are going a bit ott here.

Took the astra out. Pre checks were, check oil, yup its got some. Check pads, yup, got some, check petrol, best put some in.

Open pitlane, 20-30 minutes, when brakes faded just didn't use them and went slower for a lap or so. Otherwise, gave it utter death all day.

On a modern car, everything should be fine.

I'd only bother with better pads if your really confident on braking and really use them hard. If you plan to do more, could be worth buying a better set to swap over just for trackdays. If you do this though, remember to take it easy on the brakes for a few laps until they adjust to the shape of the disc.

As said by Dewis, dont be a hero on your first day, and don't try to keep up with the person thats just outbraked you. I see this a lot on the bikes, an instructor passes them, they try to keep up, bin it.

tbh, your better off on your first day using less brakes, coming off the throttle early, and learning race lines and cornering speed and how to maintain it.
Daimo B

10th Feb 14 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I.E Slow in, fast out, when you become used to the car closer to the limits, you can work on the ultra late braking and increasing bollocks size These fun parts will come later.
big eck

10th Feb 14 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dewismotorsport
Do a full nut and bolt check also just to confirm everything is tight.

What brakes and tyres do you have? As above they will die first. Remove all unnecessary crap out the car and make sure toeing eyes are fitted or visible at least else they will just hook it around anything and drag you off track.

Most importantly just take it steady and build up as tracks can bite you in the arse if your going too fast for your car or limits.

I have Goodyear F1 assy2's all round with very good tread and just fitted new discs, pagid pads and new fluid last week along with a full 40k mile service. The brakes are pretty big as standard (345mm up front) so I'll see how they get on. I'd rather drive slowly on my first day out than act like a touring car driver lol.
Corsa_Sport21

10th Feb 14 at 04:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Some people are going a bit ott here.

Took the astra out. Pre checks were, check oil, yup its got some. Check pads, yup, got some, check petrol, best put some in.

Open pitlane, 20-30 minutes, when brakes faded just didn't use them and went slower for a lap or so. Otherwise, gave it utter death all day.

On a modern car, everything should be fine.

I'd only bother with better pads if your really confident on braking and really use them hard. If you plan to do more, could be worth buying a better set to swap over just for trackdays. If you do this though, remember to take it easy on the brakes for a few laps until they adjust to the shape of the disc.

As said by Dewis, dont be a hero on your first day, and don't try to keep up with the person thats just outbraked you. I see this a lot on the bikes, an instructor passes them, they try to keep up, bin it.

tbh, your better off on your first day using less brakes, coming off the throttle early, and learning race lines and cornering speed and how to maintain it.

quote:
I.E Slow in, fast out, when you become used to the car closer to the limits, you can work on the ultra late braking and increasing bollocks size These fun parts will come later.

Going a bit ott yet you have just made a few paragraphs giving him advice on how to drive around the track.
Daimo B

10th Feb 14 at 04:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offering some basic advice on HOW to drive on track for the first time, is not the same as,

Checked every nut and bolt
Replace all your brake fluid etc.

If your into cars, things like this are usually checked anyway, and on a modern car should be fine.

I don't do trackdays at all, not like I'd know or anything...... Nice valid input you've added though.

[Edited on 10-02-2014 by Daimo B]
Corsa_Sport21

10th Feb 14 at 04:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He asked for advice on pre-track checks though, not how to drive. The advice he was offered before you waded in was simple stuff that wouldn't go a miss. I think the check every nut and bolt comment was to be taken loosely. Its a modified car so making sure the parts that have been changed (suspension etc) are all nice and tight seems to be good advice. The rest like tyres, wheels, brakes etc are all simple stuff and fit in to what he has asked.

I have no valid input as it has already been covered.
Steve
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 06:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember when daimo tried to tell Jr he'd driven the nurburgring badly based on a crappy video and having never been to the ring nor indeed a track anywhere in his life at the time
Daimo B

10th Feb 14 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember when you were in your 30's and still living with mum and dad. Oh, wait....

Steve, my knowledge on a lot of things is limited, (like say dating 17 year olds, and having mum wash my pants), but when it comes to race craft, lines, and things motorsport related, its a subject I know very very well.

Anyone can drive a car/ride a bike round a track, doing it fast, hitting the apex and knowing where to go is another thing. A crappy video will still show where corner lines are missed, and track usage not fully utilised.

My driving skills these days are somewhat limited due to moving to bikes, but racing principles and knowledge stays the same.

Hows the Halfords puma btw? Did it ever go out more than once?

Never been to a track at the time? Steve, I spent my entire youth at race circuits, pretty much every weekend. But you knew that remember

Offering track advice to someone who's not been on track, should be accepted, not ridiculed. No-one has to read or listen, its not really much bother to me. I still get advice on things to this day, and I'm usually grateful. If you wish to perceive this as big headed, so be it.

Steve
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 07:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Offering track advice to someone who's not been on track,

Offered track advice yet hadn't actually been on track

Better still, self proclaimed expert because visited track as a child

Comedy indeed.

[Edited on 10-02-2014 by Steve]
Daimo B

10th Feb 14 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But Steve, I had done.

Just because it wasn't in a car, doesn't mean I had not been on track.

Keep trying kiddo

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who do track days 23 database queries in 0.0150208 seconds