corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Sharp pull to the right

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sharp pull to the right
Liam-Wilko

User status: Offline
10th Feb 14 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hay all I have a corsa sport 1.6 and when im going round a roundabout or a slight right bend my car suddenly has a sharp pull to the right when going round nearly causing the car to be pulled into the other lane does anyone know what could be causing this
fred7

10th Feb 14 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any wobble at all when driving straight?
Liam-Wilko

10th Feb 14 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No wobble but if i let go of the steering wheel the car pulls to the left oddly
Tiger

10th Feb 14 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Under braking? Could be steering rack, track rod, wheel bearing, brake binding, collapsed brake hose on right side?
Tiger

10th Feb 14 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steering bush?
Col004

10th Feb 14 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its pulling right sharply, ie.. the steering wheel kicks suddenly then in your case its the right outer CV joint. I've had this on the left side and when I stripped it I found that the bearing craddle had deformed and a bearing was picking up causing it to snatch.

Liam-Wilko

10th Feb 14 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No but i know my left wheel bearing is on its way out it is strange it is a really harsh pull to the right i can be cumftable going round a right bend and it can pull like some one grabs the steering wheel and jults it
Col004

10th Feb 14 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo what I said then ^^^^
Liam-Wilko

10th Feb 14 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Col004
If its pulling right sharply, ie.. the steering wheel kicks suddenly then in your case its the right outer CV joint. I've had this on the left side and when I stripped it I found that the bearing craddle had deformed and a bearing was picking up causing it to snatch.

That is exactly what happens a really harshkick to the right.
Col004

10th Feb 14 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Change the right outer CV joint buddy
Liam-Wilko

10th Feb 14 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Col004
Change the right outer CV joint buddy

Cheers mate
Col004

10th Feb 14 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fred7

10th Feb 14 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a similar thing but when it pulled it felt like it stayed in the position(slightly pulling right) it was the top mounts.
Liam-Wilko

10th Feb 14 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It dosnt stick it sounds exaclt the same as what Col004 had with him im due to reshell the engine so i will get all new gear for the translant
lozarus

10th Feb 14 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check Bottom ball joint.
Liam-Wilko

11th Feb 14 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im gonna by all new ball joints CV joints ext ready for the converison I think I may be able to bid with it for another month or so till I get my money through to get a decent shell cheers for the help
alan-g-w

11th Feb 14 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't go out buying CV joints and bottom ball joints. Go to a mechanic and pay him a tenner to tell you what's wrong with it, you'll end up replacing your whole front suspension before you fix it with an internet diagnosis like this.

If you're half decent with the mechanics of a car you can check a CV joint quite easily. Go to an empty car park or something and put it on full lock to one side, then drive in circles. Do this in both directions. If you get a tick-tick-tick-tick, or similar, sort of noise then it's a CV joint. If not, it's not a CV joint. Bottom ball joint, track rod ends and wheel bearing can all be checked with the car jacked and the wheel off the ground if you know what you're looking for. As said, a mechanic will be able to tell you what's wrong with it much better than anyone in here, including me obviously
Col004

11th Feb 14 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Don't go out buying CV joints and bottom ball joints. Go to a mechanic and pay him a tenner to tell you what's wrong with it, you'll end up replacing your whole front suspension before you fix it with an internet diagnosis like this.

If you're half decent with the mechanics of a car you can check a CV joint quite easily. Go to an empty car park or something and put it on full lock to one side, then drive in circles. Do this in both directions. If you get a tick-tick-tick-tick, or similar, sort of noise then it's a CV joint. If not, it's not a CV joint. Bottom ball joint, track rod ends and wheel bearing can all be checked with the car jacked and the wheel off the ground if you know what you're looking for. As said, a mechanic will be able to tell you what's wrong with it much better than anyone in here, including me obviously

Your CV test as you call didn't 'tick' when I had this specific issue.

The clicking sound or similar of a CV joint is when a bearing has collapsed or dislodged from the cradle and you would certainly know about it.
If the bearing cradle has slightly deformed then the sudden pull to the right/snatching is where the deformed area/bearing is picking up and can only happen at a certain circular velocity point where the damage is.
Going round in circles can diagnose certain faults but will not fully prove the serviceability of a CV joint. Therefore the CV can still be the issue.

If it was a bush, track rod end or ball joint you would experience knocking sounds going over bumps and play in the steering etc. Also a drift to the left or right as if the tracking was out. Infact the tracking would be out in this case.

A wheel bearing would whine and the wheel would have a lot or slight play top to bottom when weight off/jacked up.

A damaged top mount can be checked by play in the shock when jacked up or the sound of a grating noise when turning left to right if the top mount bearing has collapsed or knocking when driving over bumps.

Obviously I can’t see the car behind a monitor but from the symptoms that the lad has described, these are symptoms I’ve experienced / seen before and found a proven cause and fixed it hence the advice given.

That’s what forums are for

[Edited on 11-02-2014 by Col004]
alan-g-w

11th Feb 14 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fact you tell him to 'change it', which effectively means buying a £30 part, without knowing for certain that's the problem got me. General chat's bad enough for a dozen people suggesting a dozen things without some naive guy (no offence) being told that a 30quid suggestion will definitely sort his problem when it might not.
alan-g-w

11th Feb 14 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, not sure what you mean by a CV cradle? Any Vaux CV joint I've seen is just pretty much a universal joint
Col004

11th Feb 14 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look up CV bearing cradle/cage. You might learn something.

I’m not arguing with you from a keyboard mate. You crack on
alan-g-w

11th Feb 14 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know why you're being like that, second comment was a genuine question?
Col004

11th Feb 14 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I apologise then. It’s the way I read it or the way you put it.

Anyhow... Have a read anyway. Then you'll know

[Edited on 11-02-2014 by Col004]
Liam-Wilko

11th Feb 14 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im good with cars in general I was looking for further opinions everyone has a vaid point but I will investigate it with a more experianced person it was so I had a general idea on what could be the problem.

I may just replace a few things like this in my conversion when I get to that point so that I know it is new and will last.

No offence taken from your comment
JordyCarter

11th Feb 14 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a similar problem in my corsa c it needed new steering arms

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Sharp pull to the right 22 database queries in 0.0090911 seconds