corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ignoring road closures

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ignoring road closures
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Feb 14 at 03:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the deal with this? If a road has closed signs and you ignore can you be prosecuted?

This morning I was turned around by police after being told my Landrover would be able to get through the flooded road however they couldn't let me as they'd been told not to.

Surely when they close a road they have to remain open minded that there are vehicles that can pass the obstacles in absolute safety.

[Edited on 11-02-2014 by Steve]
gazza808

11th Feb 14 at 03:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know but I do it all the time, local road is closed at the first sign of the river rising,

But there's a t junction at the end and one side floods before the other,

I always go through the signs, been met with water up to my bonnet of the disco a couple of times, but it's mostly dry :/

No idea if I'd get prosecuted.
Ste
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 03:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just say don't do it:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/NEWS/10998129.___Do_not_ignore_road_closures_____say_police/

Say they will prosecute, but sounds like more to do with endagering workers than actually ignoring the closure;
http://www.radioplymouth.com/p/news/local/crackdown-on-motorists-ignoring-outland-road-closures

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
corsadonk
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 06:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drove through one yesterday in my van, but the way I see it, you shouldn't go past the signs.

I do a lot of repairs on machines in road works, and I know the workers get pissed off with the amount of people they have to turn, who ignore the signs.
Robin
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 08:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just because you think you can get through doesn't mean you can. If you risk it and get stuck, it wastes their time which could be used elsewhere to help people who haven't been a penis.
Steve
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree, and if the authorities had said no its too dangerous, no problem.

However to be told that the vehicle would get through fine and the only reason I couldn't get to where I wanted to go was because someone had been told not to let anything through, kinda sucks. I realise they were just doing their jobs. I don't blame the individuals at all.

Also id seen images that morning of the affected area in town and it wasn't even all the way across the road

Policing of the areas is good as it stop idiots getting stuck and causing more issues, however a judgment call could be made for vehicles designed for this type of thing, there was no danger in this instance..

pow
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let it go Steve
Steve
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 08:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its useful to know if you have the right to go past at your own risk, having been caught between floods and stranded for the night, id like to know what would have happened if id been on the other side of it, and been stopped from getting to my home because someone had been told not to let anything through
taylorboosh

11th Feb 14 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You say there is no risk, but your not a hardened 4x4 and offroad driver...

Your a gerk who likes wrapping/weathering things who bought a landrover
Steve
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I can cope with 1 inch of water hardened or not

that pic of me driving through that water before was deeper

taylorboosh

11th Feb 14 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Photo shop imo
Robin
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Their judgement is based on risk. Allowing anyone to attempt it is more risk than they need at the moment.

If the road had washed away you wouldn't see it for the water, that's how they'd decide.

Whatever you think, you don't know if you can get through and like I say, they've got bigger fish to fry at the moment
pow
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bascially, buying the Land Rover was a waste of time
tom130691
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 09:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Bascially, buying the Land Rover was a waste of time

bought to drive through puddles,

turned away from puddles
Steve
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty much lol
pow
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Steve just bought it to avoid buying a house tbh
neil h

11th Feb 14 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Their judgement is based on risk. Allowing anyone to attempt it is more risk than they need at the moment.

If the road had washed away you wouldn't see it for the water, that's how they'd decide.

That and potential risk to property. There are several spots around Abingdon where the roads are flooded but houses on the side of the road are ok up untill someone drives through the flooded section of road.
Hammer

11th Feb 14 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For every dick, like yourself, that's purchased an old Land Rover to drive through puddles there's another dick with a lowered Corsa that thinks he can drive through it as well.

There's no specific parameters for individual cars for a reason.
corsadonk
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Just because you think you can get through doesn't mean you can. If you risk it and get stuck, it wastes their time which could be used elsewhere to help people who haven't been a penis.

I was told by the bloke who's machine had just fixed it was only ankle deep, but keep away from the cones, because of some big pot holes.
Andrew

11th Feb 14 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I think Steve just bought it to avoid buying a house tbh

Nic Barnes

11th Feb 14 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
For every dick, like yourself, that's purchased an old Land Rover to drive through puddles
ed

11th Feb 14 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go back now and drive through your puddle, they'll have gone home now.
MatthewR

12th Feb 14 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What they gunna do? chase you? lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ignoring road closures 23 database queries in 0.0182202 seconds