corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paint / Lacquer peel.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Paint / Lacquer peel.
nathy_87

User status: Offline
   3rd Mar 14 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need your help please.

Noticed while washing my car the other day, that on the front bumper, (no where else) there is a significant amount of lacquer peel, all different sizes. I've phoned up Skoda, and his excuse was that it could be done from a stone chip then water has got underneath it and that's what I'm left with (whether that is true I don't know as I don't work in the paint industry), however he does need to see it, to see what we are dealing with. I could do with your helpful input please and any pointers when I go to them on Saturday.
Ben G

3rd Mar 14 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think he's correct. Got a little around where the body meets the seal for the soft top on mine.
big eck

3rd Mar 14 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The onvi yellow on all seats were notorious for laquer peel. This was due to the nature of the paint tho and nothing to do with stone chips.
NovaGTE2

3rd Mar 14 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
The onvi yellow on all seats were notorious for laquer peel. This was due to the nature of the paint tho and nothing to do with stone chips.

I dont think its just the yellow; mine is Luna Grey and booked in for a respray the week after next due to laquer peel
Corsa_Sport21

3rd Mar 14 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think its actual lacquer peel on the Onvi Yellow. More so the paint fades underneath the lacquer.
AndyCorsaSport

3rd Mar 14 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laquer peel is common on a few colours.

As for yours Nath have you had it from new? Could have been painted before if not and poor prep.
sc0ott

3rd Mar 14 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chemical reaction between his marigolds and the paint imo.
Y869 SRA

3rd Mar 14 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
I don't think its actual lacquer peel on the Onvi Yellow. More so the paint fades underneath the lacquer.

Gots lacquer peel on my yellow Leon in quite a few places.
My old black 206 also.
nathy_87

4th Mar 14 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
Laquer peel is common on a few colours.

As for yours Nath have you had it from new? Could have been painted before if not and poor prep.

No Andy, I bought it used, about 2 years ago now. Funny you should say that, as when I took it to a detailer, he said that he found overspray on his cloth from under the drivers sill, so who knows what's happened to it. I will get some photos tomorrow if the weather is dry. But I really doubt it's stone chips + water.

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Chemical reaction between his marigolds and the paint imo.

[Edited on 04-03-2014 by nathy_87]
nathy_87

7th Mar 14 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've just got back from Skoda. They say they won't do it under warrenty as it's covered for corrosion only.

Got two quotes, one looknig at £450 + VAT and another £480 inc. VAT (been to the second garage before and had some work done).
alan-g-w

7th Mar 14 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£450 to get a bumper resprayed? Does that come with free lube cos you're being fucked.
Graeme
Premium Member

7th Mar 14 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will probably be because they want to fully strip it back to a solid base as then can guarantee it won't flake again.
AndyCorsaSport

7th Mar 14 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And the fact that people outside the motor trade don't actually understand how much paint costs.
Ben G

7th Mar 14 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends if you need to pay for unit costs or not, I guess.

My current group leader has his own unit at home so does loads or jobs on the side, cheaply. Certainly won't cost anywhere near that ridiculous price.
alan-g-w

7th Mar 14 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bodyshop gurus looking down their noses, I was down at my mate's shop today giving him a hand. Few months ago he took £120 to do my mum's bumper and that was with her insisting on paying full price. My sister got a brand new Saxo bumper a couple of years ago and I had a guy willing to paint it for £110. No amount of rubbing down would be worth an extra £300, anyone who thinks £450 to paint a Skoda bumper is decent needs their head checked. He could courier it up here, get it painted and sent back for cheaper.

[Edited on 07-03-2014 by alan-g-w]
Ben G

7th Mar 14 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed.
Jambo

8th Mar 14 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here we go with the £800 resprays again.
corsajay88

8th Mar 14 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Bodyshop gurus looking down their noses, I was down at my mate's shop today giving him a hand. Few months ago he took £120 to do my mum's bumper and that was with her insisting on paying full price. My sister got a brand new Saxo bumper a couple of years ago and I had a guy willing to paint it for £110. No amount of rubbing down would be worth an extra £300, anyone who thinks £450 to paint a Skoda bumper is decent needs their head checked. He could courier it up here, get it painted and sent back for cheaper.

[Edited on 07-03-2014 by alan-g-w]

Polish blokes round here do a respray for 7-800 can be more depending on what you want. Guess they're happy with earning 3-400 for their weeks work. The job they did on my mates rover p100 was fantastic. Went I went to see gidged500's corsa on here, the quality was really good no doubt about that but he paid more than double, waited for months and car came back to him in basically an unfinished state.
Jambo

8th Mar 14 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting a good finish is not that hard part. I got a "cheap" respray and the finish is great. However, the fucking state of the overspray, thin paint on boot lid, missed hinges, misaligned panels, poor finish around seals/edges etc plus the paint being too thin and soft means it was shit.

You get what you pay for, it's expensive because it's labour intensive, cheap body shops cut corners and the results will speak for themselves. You do not need to be Einstein to make paint shiny.
alan-g-w

8th Mar 14 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who started to talk about 800 quid resprays? Not me. I went to my mate and asked about getting the sides of my car (wings, doors and rear quarters) blown over the same colour and a couple of dings removed, he said it'd be about £800 for that, don't be putting words into my mouth. You paid for a cheap paint job and I remember that you got a cheap looking paint job Jambo, it looked faded from brand new.

My point is that there's not close to £500 in painting a front bumper unless you know someone who could demand that price simply for being so good - supply and demand and all that. The average price is nowhere near £450. In the same ballpark, I know the average price for a full respray is not £800, I don't need to be told that.
Jambo

8th Mar 14 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not at all Alan that was the photo and how the light was. Many have been posting since showing that not to be the case.
Mi started talking about £800 resprays as it always kicks off in here with people expecting someone to do 20hours of labour for £50 which is not a reality. No need to get your knickers in a twist.
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Mar 14 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The place I use are not known locally for being "cheap". I've had a few odd jobs done, wing mirror painted for £20, fog lamp cover same again, resprayed half a bumper for £80 along with a bit of filling.

I've spoken to people who have had respray quotes there and they're in the region of £2-3k. Seems acceptable for a decent job, considering how much time alone will be spent dismantling and rebuilding a car!

They wanted £500 from me to do a front bumper, bonnet and the bits surrounding the windscreen. Makes £450 for a bumper seem a bit on the heavy side.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
nathy_87

10th Mar 14 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, their excuse was that they need to take the bumper off remove the grills so they just have the 'skelton' so to speak, I was like...yeah I'll get back to you on that. So I'll just leave it until I sell it on I think. Already looking at other cars.

Edit: Would get a quote from Tom @ Lemass, however it's close to a 2hr drive, one way. and pictures don't do things justice imo.

[Edited on 10-03-2014 by nathy_87]
Ben G

10th Mar 14 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the bumper off and grilles out yourself, then ask how much it'll cost.
nathy_87

19th Mar 14 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decided I'm going to leave it. Looking at a new car next year (not because of this before smart arse comments) but because I get bored of cars too quick. Hmm.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paint / Lacquer peel. 23 database queries in 0.0285230 seconds