corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What can I do? Private plate.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What can I do? Private plate.
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Mar 14 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, had to sell my car in a rush last July with my private plate on. The guy seemed pretty genuine and agreed to sort the retention of my plate out after he received the logbook.

Months down the line never heard anything so just thought nothing of it.

My mates brought it up before so had a little search. Put the private plate in askmid and an insurance site and it comes up uninsured and blank on the insurance site.

Type in the original plate I asked him to transfer back on the car it shows it's insured and comes up with the correct/original details on the insurance site.

I still have the proof of ownership of said private plate.

Where do I stand? It's not back on the DVLA site so is it as easy to just get a set of plates made and tell my insurers or am I being too optimistic?
John

10th Mar 14 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What proof of ownership do you have?

If you sold the car with the plate on it, you don't own it anymore.
Jakey
Premium Member

10th Mar 14 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The paperwork you get when you purchase the plate, or is that not seen as ownership?
Jon_C
Premium Member

10th Mar 14 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seem to remember Sean-B doing similar. Think he lost the plate in the end
andys sxi
Premium Member

10th Mar 14 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is why I'd never let my car go with my private plate still on it, have you got his number to phone him ?

April 08 feature car
deano87

10th Mar 14 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iirc, once it is on the vehicle, you technically don't own it, the vehicle does, therefore the new owner does.

You can put any plate on retention if you want. Looks like the guy has taken it off but didn't pay/sort the retention of the private plate and it has lapsed.

Either being held or will be on the market.

Is there a database to search plates on retention/on vehicles?
Jakey
Premium Member

10th Mar 14 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't no. It was during some bad circumstances and was all a bit rushed and I didn't get any details.

It wasn't an expensive plate luckily.
Brett
Premium Member

10th Mar 14 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, once you transfer the V5 to someone else with the plate on it's no longer yours. This is why if you complete a V317 when you sell the car, the new owner has to put in the details as if he owns the plate.

For next time, use one of these https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/209585/V317_140313.pdf

Had you just posted that along with the logbook you'd still have your plate

You could always try ringing the DVLA claiming your retention certificate never arrived and wondering what's happening, see if you can extract any info, unlikely tho I guess.

[Edited on 10-03-2014 by Brett]
Jakey
Premium Member

10th Mar 14 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Brett, appreciate all that.

Tbh, I can get the same plate just with a different number for £250 so probably be just as easy to get a new plate!
baza31

10th Mar 14 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't you just ring the guy or go see him ? Why did you leave it so long?
Jakey
Premium Member

11th Mar 14 at 06:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because I've had a lot of personal health problems and I've been in and out of hospital so it's not been top of my priority list.

Like I said I didn't get a number and I'm sure he came from Gloucester for the car.
pow
Premium Member

11th Mar 14 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

YOu can request information from the DVLA if you wanted to give that a go?
Phil W

11th Mar 14 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Waste of time. Kick yourself and forget about it. I've been there unfortunately
K2 GTi

12th Mar 14 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I too lost mine when I sold my car, guy was genuinely going to sort this but didn't and I was so annoyed. Was a 21st birthday present too.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Mar 14 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not on the other party tho, it's on you. You post the log book off so it's easy enough to enclose a V317 with it tbh. Why would someone else pay an extra £80-120 for you once they've driven it away?
John

12th Mar 14 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sold my boxster with the plate on it, wasn't too happy about it but the guy wanted the car straight away.

He paid the retention and everything but he couldn't really lose out.

I had decided he was genuine though and had his real address. All worked out in the end. Brett's way of all in one transaction is better.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What can I do? Private plate. 23 database queries in 0.0140610 seconds