corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another towing question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another towing question
Andrew

User status: Offline
7th Apr 14 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't really got the space for a full sized car trailer and want to get the Corsa to my new house as well as to track days.

Does the car need to be taxed and MOT's if trailered on a dolly?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towing-Recovery-dolly-Car-trailer-tow-/171291178464?pt=UK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts&hash=item27e1bff5e0

The Corsa will be insured on a multi car policy.
John

7th Apr 14 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's insured it has to be taxed anyway, in which case it might as well have an MOT, in which case you might as well just drive it.
Corsa_Sport21

7th Apr 14 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to Steve. He will be clued up on this. He too built a track car that never done any track days.

[Edited on 07-04-2014 by Corsa_Sport21]
Gary
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you can make it hover then it needs tax mot and Insurance.
BeArDy

7th Apr 14 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It seems that the car doesn't become a trailer when towed - that's where the problems start.
This means that without a driver, it's unbraked.
The maximum unbraked trailer weight is 750kg, but a car's kerb weight is used.
Above this weight, an A frame can only be used to 'recover a vehicle to a place of safety' so dragging it 300 miles to the seaside would be a no-no
Alex_Rally

7th Apr 14 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Speak to Steve. He will be clued up on this. He too built a track car that never done any track days.

[Edited on 07-04-2014 by Corsa_Sport21]

hahaha
Nic Barnes

7th Apr 14 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My corsa has been dolly'd about with no tax or mot loads, it's never been an issue. Took it to pod from mine and back.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th Apr 14 at 07:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always under the opinion that if any wheels are touching the road then it needs to be insured/tax/tested unless being recovered. Nic has had good luck but I wouldn't take that as its good to go and you won't get nicked
Andrew

8th Apr 14 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I need to stick above the law
corsajay88

8th Apr 14 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the corsa run? If it does just book it in for an mot near your new house then drive it there. If not can hire a proper car trailer for about £40 a day
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Apr 14 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What corsa you got Andrew?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
deano87

8th Apr 14 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Always under the opinion that if any wheels are touching the road then it needs to be insured/tax/tested unless being recovered. Nic has had good luck but I wouldn't take that as its good to go and you won't get nicked

I always thought this too.

And it isn't necessarily about it being safe or you getting done, it is the liability of others and the implications no insurance may have, let alone tax & MOT flagging on ANPR.
Andrew

9th Apr 14 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
What corsa you got Andrew?

Still got a 1.8 SRI

I sold the 1.3 CDTI as it was shit and rotten
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Apr 14 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No brakes on that one.

Even if you find a braked dolly, the car wheels aren't braked so its still not a braked trailer.

Be OK for recovery but you'll have trouble making that case if its obviously not a recovery you're performing.

Whether anyone has driven about with one on and been fine is not the issue, you wouldn't say you do 40 in a 30 therefore the speed limits are unclear.

I do 100 on motorways and if I got stopped I'd have to cough it.

Same as in your situation you need a full lift. If you get stuck I can do the job btw.

Or hire a trailer from Barlows and entre the next step of rules and regs with weights and licence categories.
Andrew

9th Apr 14 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you Ian, I will be in touch if I get stuck.

The car starts, drives and the brakes seem ok. I may book it in for an MOT and drive it home Admiral will give me 3 days free insurance on temp cars they say.

It's a couple of hundred more to add the car to my car policy with Admiral but the costs start to mount up if I tax it being a 1.8 as well as annual MOTs.

The mrs has agreed I can have a shed in the back garden to store a trailer. Additional costs again but I've at least got something for the money. I think i'm going to go with this option and hopefully get myself at some events this year.

[Edited on 09-04-2014 by Andrew]
Nic Barnes

9th Apr 14 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think the police really know the towing laws.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

9th Apr 14 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some do, some don't. The ones that don't are potentially the more dangerous ones though, I've known of people being fined for combos that are perfectly legal but they weren't certain themselves and the officer believed it was illegal so they got done for it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another towing question 23 database queries in 0.0141320 seconds