corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Using a mobile in egypt?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Using a mobile in egypt?
fred7

User status: Offline
8th Apr 14 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to egypt in 3 weeks and just looking at the roaming costs on 3 and its £2 a min to make and recieve. Can anyone recommand a pay as you i can use just for text and calls when im there? Got wifi in hotel but been told you cant use skype from egypt otherwise i would use whatsapp and skype instead
Gary
Premium Member

8th Apr 14 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't worry about it you'll just get shot over there anyway.
Ben G

8th Apr 14 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why can't you use Skype from Egypt? I used it when I went to turkey and it was fine (on wi-Fi).

Gary, what? Been reading too many papers I think.
Gary
Premium Member

8th Apr 14 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, noone gets shot in Egypt. Made it all up.
fred7

8th Apr 14 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben im only going off what ive read on trip advisor so was going to take a sim card just incase. I did see 1 person say it worked on wifi.
Ben G

8th Apr 14 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary

Just like no one gets shot in London.
fred7

8th Apr 14 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Violence everywhere so dont bother me.
Dom

8th Apr 14 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary

With shootings happening in Huddersfield, you must shit yourself every time you step out of your front door

fred - Pick up a PAYG sim from one of network shops (like Vodafone etc) at the airport.

[Edited on 08-04-2014 by Dom]
alan-g-w

8th Apr 14 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to watch your blonde girlfriend more than anything else if that applies to you, they're lecherous bastards over there
fred7

8th Apr 14 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was thinking the same dom. Just found i can rent a mifi for £20 a week unlimited data so might do that but will see what the wifi is like in the hotel first then if crap can use a local card
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Apr 14 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to Egypt later this week/weekend/start of next week, once my Visa has been processed.

Hateful fucking shithole. Glad I'm being paid to go there tbh.

Oh, and no idea on roaming cost - we often buy local simcards after arriving at the airports when we work away.
fred7

8th Apr 14 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread is filling me full of hope of the place!! Where and what are you working for out there?
Ben G

8th Apr 14 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the blokes out there are right dirty bastards, perving on girls probably no older than 12 or 13. Sickos

We went to sharm el sheik and had no issues after the first few days. Get a nice tan and they think you've been there a while. Also helps if you know a foreign language to reply to them, rather than ''no mate, don't speak english''.

Also, don't go into any dodgy looking shops. They will try to entice you in with free gifts then try and force you to buy things when you're inside. They tried this on with me (a shop inside the actual complex), then when I started getting all Internet angry they left us alone.

[Edited on 08-04-2014 by Ben G]
fred7

8th Apr 14 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha internet angry! Same as most tourist places always trying to sell you something! Been told all the fakes are good out there?
John

8th Apr 14 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you just going on holiday for a week or for work?

If it's on holiday for a week surely you can do with occasional wifi?
fred7

8th Apr 14 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a week on holiday. It will be occasional but 3 want £6 per mb of data. Got a 3 year old daughter so she will want to watch peppa pig or what ever while we are gettibg ready and for the wife to phone home.
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Apr 14 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fred7
This thread is filling me full of hope of the place!! Where and what are you working for out there?

Somewhere not too far from Cairo, not sure where exactly, but advised it's not a Tourist area.

Working on commissioning of 2x large Oil + Gas Fired Power Plant Boilers.
fred7

8th Apr 14 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need a welder to give you a hand! Sure the mrs will be ok if i disappear for week
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Apr 14 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fred7
Need a welder to give you a hand! Sure the mrs will be ok if i disappear for week

As much as a UK Qualified Welder would be very much welcomed by me, the Korean customer is probably happy to use low paid Egyptian, Korean & Indian workers to do it.

They wouldn't want to pay your rates!

Found the place - it's SE of Cairo, S of Suez, on the coast of the Red Sea. Nothing but a large Hotel complex and power plant/industry in the area by the looks of it.

I've been to Suez & Cairo twice before. Awful. Hence hating any trip to the Country myself. It is probably Ok at the tourist areas where most people will go & tell you it's all fine and lovely, but the Country itself is generally just another part of the Earths sandy Arsehole. IMO.
Ben G

8th Apr 14 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh if you venture up North in England, the same applies, apart from sand being replaced by just arseholes.
Dom

8th Apr 14 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Tbh if you venture up North in England, the same applies, apart from sand being replaced by just arseholes.

Rich H

8th Apr 14 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From memory Vodafone was actually one of the cheaper networks out there. I didn't bother in the end and just turned all the mobile stuff off on mine as T-Mobile roaming costs for there were horrendous. A few people I went with used facetime with no issues don't know about skype though. I was using whatsapp with no problems on the hotel wifi too.
fred7

8th Apr 14 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks rich biggest thing will be whatsapp. The hotel is only starting to provide free wifi throughtout the hotel from 1st may so hopefully be up and running when we are there. Djgritt sounds lovely haha enjoy!
gazza808

9th Apr 14 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your on holiday....

Jesus I send maybe one text to my old dear to let her know we got there alive, then the odd one through out the holiday to let then know I'm still alive.

People who constantly text/ring etc home are so annoying.

[Edited on 09-04-2014 by gazza808]
fred7

9th Apr 14 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good on you, we wont be texting all the time but its good to know i can use it when i need it! Plus for my daughter using the internet

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Using a mobile in egypt? 22 database queries in 0.0136371 seconds