corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fundraising help / ideas / suggestions / advise please..

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fundraising help / ideas / suggestions / advise please..
M16KE B

User status: Offline
   15th Apr 14 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning all,

All im after a bit of help if possible. Long story short; Ive always been a bit lazy and unfit, not overweight (actually very slim) but not physically fit at all.

I became a Dad last year so ive decided to basically get myself sorted out, get active, train and generally be a better person and do something worthwhile.

Im taking part in Edinburgh’s Spartan Sprint race in September (5K plus 15 obstacles) which will be a fairly big challenge for me. On top of that, im doing it to raise money for kids with special needs – hence the question!

Im looking for ideas on how I can persuade people (other than my wife / immediate family) to donate. Now I know things financially aren’t great etc, but im talking about 50p - £1.

I have initially set up a just giving page, link below, which I think is quite good for a 1st attempt. I then posted that on my LinkedIn profile, thinking that if 50% of my 300 connections donated £1 – then that would be my target met. So far this approach has netted me £0!

Can anyone who has done anything similar offer any advice or pointers? What I can do to somehow give anyone who donates something back?

I should probably point out that I do not have facebook.

LINK:

http://www.justgiving.com/Michael-Blair1

James

15th Apr 14 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing to do these days seems to be to make up some bullshit story in the hope that everyone believes it and it goes viral.
Generation

15th Apr 14 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just post it on Facebook and to family. My mrs is raising money for a skydiv ATM, most m,only has come from family though, a lot of people simply don't have spare couple of quid at the moment
Conway563

15th Apr 14 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
The thing to do these days seems to be to make up some bullshit story in the hope that everyone believes it and it goes viral.

Dying during/at the end of the event also seems to help with this
Brett
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
people simply don't have spare couple of quid at the moment

As harsh as it sounds, I think that's bollocks. People simply don't want to, especially some random.
John

15th Apr 14 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of it is also 'fundraising' so you can go and do something you want to do. Like a skydive.
Robbo

15th Apr 14 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if 5k is a challenge for a young-ish man, youre in trouble son
Cavey

15th Apr 14 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What John said. I'm a miserable cunt like that. Fuck giving money to someone doing something they want to do.

If its really going to be a struggle for you to complete the course then fair enough, that's worthy of having money donated, and good luck. As said, go for Posters at work, Facebook, forums etc...
nathy_87

15th Apr 14 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
if 5k is a challenge for a young-ish man, youre in trouble son

This
3CorsaMeal

15th Apr 14 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do a sponsored Ferrari driving day.
spencer88

15th Apr 14 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did 12 mile Tough Mudder dressed as a Chicken with no training. Only raised about £100.

You need to do something to stand out as people are just getting bored sponsoring people to do something average.
3CorsaMeal

15th Apr 14 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sponsored taking a dump Jimmy Saville grave
ed

15th Apr 14 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's difficult on your own. I managed to get ~£750 for the bike ride I just did by asking everyone I knew for a contribution; some people gave £5s and £10s and others were in the hundreds

Because we did it as a group we've ended up raising £13k but we also did a race night event with loads of friends and family there all buying drinks, bets and other things which made us over £1k. Do you have any friends of colleagues who could join you?
ed

15th Apr 14 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think spencer88 is right though, if I hear one more person asking me to sponsor them for running 10k I'll go mad. I used to do that several times a week

[Edited on 15-04-2014 by ed]
Generation

15th Apr 14 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see what you mean Brett, I also thig people can't be fucked. Browsing on phone, see this need to sign up full out giving page put your details in, get card out fill that out.
Ben G

15th Apr 14 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God I hate people who fundraise just to achieve personal goals.

May sound harsh but that's all it is.

Why not just donate to the special needs thing yourself?

If family did it, i'd feel obliged to give them some money, but no way i'd give money to joe bloggs knocking on the door to do some race or skydive.

As I said on another forum. I'd like to do a marathon just to say I did it, but I wouldn't beg for money, because it's something I want to do for myself.
Generation

15th Apr 14 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mrs is doing it to skydive.

Money goes direct to charity. Company doing it charges her less as it's going to good cause, she still
Has to pay and all money donated goes direct to charity
M16KE B

15th Apr 14 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

that makes no sense. Ive paid the entry fee myself so ill be doing the event regardless. So because I want to do it for myself ive paid for it. Don't really see the problem in raising money for a good cause by doing something im doing anyway.
Corsa_Sport21

15th Apr 14 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much does she have to pay??

Local airport here does it also, but you raise a minimum amount, half of which covers the skydive, and the other half goes to charity, leaving you with a balance of £0.

I would hazard a guess and say that's probably what your missus is doing also.
Cavey

15th Apr 14 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what my mate tried to do, I had a proper rant at him for it.
Ben G

15th Apr 14 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M16KE B
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

that makes no sense. Ive paid the entry fee myself so ill be doing the event regardless. So because I want to do it for myself ive paid for it. Don't really see the problem in raising money for a good cause by doing something im doing anyway.

Why not give money to the cause instead of making people feel like they have to donate?
Brett
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This went down well anyway
Gary
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just pressure folk to sponsor you, that's the only reason I've ever given someone money.

Didn't even sponsor my Mrs for stoptober or whatever they no drinking thing was
John

15th Apr 14 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No drinking ones are one of the worst types to be asking for sponsorship for.
Jambo

15th Apr 14 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you need to get sponsered to stop drinking for a month, charity is not what you need. AA would be a better use of your time.

I don't think it's a case of people not having £2 to spare, I think it's the sheer fucking number of them. There is almost a weekly one in the office, then relatives, friends etc. I don't mind giving a bit but largely jog on with your puppy dog eyes and self righteous BS tbh.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fundraising help / ideas / suggestions / advise please.. 22 database queries in 0.0147178 seconds