corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Solar-powered roads

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Solar-powered roads
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd May 14 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU

Mind. Blown.

[Edited on 22-05-2014 by evilrob]
flybikeslee

22nd May 14 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cost
Balling
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Given that covering roofs is going to cost a fraction of covering roads, I don't think this makes much sense.

evilrob
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Given that covering roofs is going to cost a fraction of covering roads, I don't think this makes much sense.

Then you haven't really understood the implications. Further reading:
http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml
Balling
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, LEDs and stuff. So no visible lines in daylight?

Maybe I haven't understood the implications, but for now I remain extremely skeptical.

Bart

22nd May 14 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Maybe I haven't understood the implications, but for now I remain extremely skeptical.

At a time when the councils are having budgets cuts and our current roadways are in a poor state, I cannot see them paying the costs for installing solar roadways

[Edited on 22-05-2014 by Bart]
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Right, LEDs and stuff. So no visible lines in daylight?

There's a bit more to it than "LEDs and stuff" - it would probably make more sense to you if you consider it like this: they're proposing a solar-powered decentralised power grid and optic-fibre data infrastructure which you just happen to be able to drive on, making better use of space currently taken up by roads.

[Edited on 22-05-2014 by evilrob]
Cavey

22nd May 14 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll stick my neck out and say it won't happen in my life time (I'm 31)

Its a cool idea, but there is no way it'll go ahead, which is a shame. The play area idea was the best out of the lot, and probably the only viable one as it wouldn't need too much effort, and it wouldn't take away profit from other massive industry, e.g. petrol and power providers
Steve
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off their website

"A parking lot prototype will be built and ready by fall 2012"

Where the fuck is it?
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Off their website

"A parking lot prototype will be built and ready by fall 2012"

Where the fuck is it?

In their back garden.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want pics and vids
DaveyLC

22nd May 14 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem with Solar-voltaic technology is there's very little return for your investment so the technology is progressing very slowly
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I want pics and vids

It's on their website:

Steve
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw that in the video, it doesn't really show anything though other than them laid down, they could turn the lights on in the day
John

22nd May 14 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't be bothered finding the link but there's a recent test road with EL lighting and it didn't go down to well.
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Can't be bothered finding the link but there's a recent test road with EL lighting and it didn't go down to well.

Various parts of the A24 in Sussex has been fitted with solar-powered LED cats eyes and they're incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhEPDScyeLI

I'm sure I read somewhere they reduced accidents along that particular stretch by about 70%.
Russ

22nd May 14 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its two people ffs, it needs massive investment, but it could prolong our existence on this rock before we kill ourselves
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
its two people ffs

It's not just two people - they have a team, and the backing of the US Federal Highway Administration who have covered the cost of the initial research and development to build the prototypes.

quote:
it needs massive investment, but it could prolong our existence on this rock before we kill ourselves

You can send them a few quid if you like:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways
oceansoul

22nd May 14 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens to all the water/gas mains under the roads, Or the electricity cables. I doubt it will be cheap to dig up a section of that PV road to access the utilities.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 17:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:
Originally posted by John

Various parts of the A24 in Sussex has been fitted with solar-powered LED cats eyes and they're incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhEPDScyeLI

I'm sure I read somewhere they reduced accidents along that particular stretch by about 70%.

theres the same at a road in Kidderminster, they look great at night, but you wouldn't see fuck all in the day
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 17:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
What happens to all the water/gas mains under the roads, Or the electricity cables. I doubt it will be cheap to dig up a section of that PV road to access the utilities.

I shouldn't imagine it's cheap to dig up traditional road either; at least with the solar-panel road concept, the panels can be removed and replaced as it's modular.

As for electricity cables, I'm sure they've thought of that given the decentralised power grid aspect of the concept.
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd May 14 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
they look great at night, but you wouldn't see fuck all in the day

I would also be interested to see how their LED road marking concept holds up in direct sunlight. They only seem to show photos in the dark on their marketing bumpf.
Russ

22nd May 14 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:
its two people ffs

It's not just two people - they have a team, and the backing of the US Federal Highway Administration who have covered the cost of the initial research and development to build the prototypes.

quote:
it needs massive investment, but it could prolong our existence on this rock before we kill ourselves

You can send them a few quid if you like:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways
i genuinely would if i wasn't poor

[Edited on 22-05-2014 by Russ]
3CorsaMeal

22nd May 14 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't even make a normal tarmac road properly around here yet.
JordyCarter

22nd May 14 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Can't even make a normal tarmac road properly around here yet.

this

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Solar-powered roads 23 database queries in 0.0145619 seconds