corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 205 GTi's, talk to me.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 205 GTi's, talk to me.
Corsa_Sport21

User status: Offline
14th Jun 14 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above. Have the chance of a limited edition 1.9 gti but have no idea about them. What goes wrong and what should I be specifically looking for when viewing in terms of common problems etc.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Jun 14 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they're anything like the newer ones then the rear beams wear and the only solution is to replace them, there's no repair.

Plus other issues related to older cars, namely corrosion and electrical problems. I would think that type of thing is going to be a bit of a money pit unless its already a nice one. Although I also wouldn't think its going to lose much more money, indeed if its kept nice should be a fairly good investment.

Bear that in mind when you take it on.
taylorboosh

14th Jun 14 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are galvanised - under the impression they dont rot like other cars from that period
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Jun 14 at 14:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point - that's probably some good news.
taylorboosh

14th Jun 14 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went through a period i really fancied one but they are well on the up price wise - if its good and cheap id get it
Corsa_Sport21

14th Jun 14 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its an 89 Sorrento Green phase 1.5 totally standard. She needs a 5 door car and is up for straight swapping for my Vectra. What worries me is i know jack shit about them, and kind of attached to the Vectra, but a 205 GTi is an itch that needs scratched.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Jun 14 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see you losing out on that even if you move it straight on. Although I'd be tempted to keep it if you can afford to sit on it for a few years.
taylorboosh

14th Jun 14 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree
Corsa_Sport21

14th Jun 14 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really is playing on my mind. I really have got attached to the Vectra. Its not a brilliant car by all means, but it has creature comforts and i like the look of it. What worries me is will the 205 be a complete bone shaker and will i hate it quickly as much as i hated my old Vtr. Will go for a look tomorrow and see what's what i think. Hoping the way it drives is enough to sway me.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Jun 14 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's something to polish and store, I wouldn't fancy living with it.
gazza808

14th Jun 14 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to add,

Quite the opposite to the above,

205's rot and they rot damn well. So check it.

Round sun roof, windscreen, numerous places under the bonnet, boot, sill's very bad etc.
GB123
Premium Member

14th Jun 14 at 17:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorrento Green was a limited edition colour at first but was an option later on.
Corsa_Sport21

14th Jun 14 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i think it was limited edition to the phase 1.5. Out of 1200, 300 were S/G 1.6's, 300 were 1.9s, then 300 1.6 in Miami Blue, and 300 1.9 in Miami Blue. Think they had the unique interior etc too, P/S and what not.
AndyCorsaSport

14th Jun 14 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
If they're anything like the newer ones then the rear beams wear and the only solution is to replace them, there's no repair.

There is a repair, replacing the bearings. Trouble is people never see it untill it's too late and has worn the axle. Hence them needing a new axle. Catch the bearing wear early enough and you can repair them.
ShEp

14th Jun 14 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Water, water everywhere, leaking in every orifice.

Other than that, mine was the best handling car i've ever driven, loads of fun, and the 1.9 is pretty pokey.
AndyCorsaSport

14th Jun 14 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seen a grey 1.9 today on the a1. Looked cool as fuck!
monkeytwizzel

14th Jun 14 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 1989 phase 1 205 1.9cti in gun metal grey, not to much rust,goes well and handles good.
SVM 286

14th Jun 14 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
As above. Have the chance of a limited edition 1.9 gti but have no idea about them. What goes wrong and what should I be specifically looking for when viewing in terms of common problems etc.

I ran a very abused and extremely tatty looking H reg 1.0 litre 205 for a couple of years or so, up until late 2009. Never had a single problem with it.

I would imagine a superior model in better condition would be similarly trouble free Mr Sport.
Corsa_Sport21

15th Jun 14 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, done the deal. Surprisingly, for the mileage (190k) its solid. Has some minor bits of surface rust in the hidden area's but nothing terminal and the main points are in superb nick. Needs a wee tidy up cosmetically like new exterior door trim and genuine fuel cap and theres a couple of bits of wiring that need tidied. A days work will see it back to its former glory. Its different to the Vectra in every single way, but not in a bad way. Pulls alot better than i would have expected though. Don't think the engine is original though as it dosn't have any of the common issues like cutting out at junctions and a pig to start when cold. Fired up great and just purrs.
Corsa_Sport21

15th Jun 14 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some quick crappy pics. Really needs the sun on it to show off the colour....

daine
Premium Member

15th Jun 14 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
Just to add,

Quite the opposite to the above,

205's rot and they rot damn well. So check it.

Round sun roof, windscreen, numerous places under the bonnet, boot, sill's very bad etc.

Rot really bad on lower back quarter's, mate has one! track car, back bushes have gone twice, on the up it

handles well.
Eck
Premium Member

15th Jun 14 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should've checked here before replying on Facebook Being a phase 1.5, is it a cat or pre cat version? 15bhp difference in the two.
Corsa_Sport21

15th Jun 14 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's actually something i meant to check when i went to view it. Will have a look in morning but ive a funny feeling its pre-cat the way it picks up.
dava.

15th Jun 14 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rip the 1.9 out and put in a 2.0 8v , some gti 6 brakes and itll prob be one the most fun cars you have driven ,

looks good,, allways like the sorrento green ones
Jamie-C

15th Jun 14 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rear beams can be repaired if there's play in it. New bearings and shafts aren't too dear but a bit of a pig to do if your not spanner handy.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 205 GTi's, talk to me. 22 database queries in 0.0163641 seconds