corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Boat repair?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Boat repair?
Christopher

User status: Offline
17th Jun 14 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A friend of mine has acquired a small rowing boat for free, only problem is it has a couple of holes on the bottom, Only about 2 inches wide. He's asked me if I could give him a hand repairing it so he can use it. I'm assuming I can just use regular fibreglass filler to plug up the holes essientially or would it have to be a different type? He also wants the whole thing sanded down and repainted, is there a certain type of paint I should look into getting?? Any help would be greatly appreciated
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 14 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't use p38/p40; it's not fit for purpose. Buy a chop strand matt kit from halfords or similar. It'll come with mat, resin, gloves, mixing pot etc. Firstly grind back the area internally so it forms a conical hole so that the outside hull surface hole is narrower than the inside hole, from this point you are best to repair from the inside out so lay up a few layers of cling film over the outside of the hull over the damaged area and back this with duct tape - this is all on the outside of the hull. Lay up the material from the inside so that effectively the cling film is the first thing you'll hit and will act as a temporary mould tool and give you a reasonable finish. Build up layers until the repair is level then go over the whole area with one final big piece of mat,4" bigger in all directions than the whole.

Also YouTube 'easycompositesTV' and watch the kayak repair tutorial, it's Kevlar but worth a watch.
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 14 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We repaint hulls with gelcoat which is then flatted and polished to give an as new finish but we have the tools, facilities and labour. Look at blakes or international marine paints which are available from any chandler. Most 2 PAC or car type paint is unsuitable for prolonged periods being submerged.
Christopher

17th Jun 14 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow loads of information there thank you buddy! I assumed that would be the case! I look into the layered stuff then! Also though that might be an issue, the finish doesn't have to be anything brilliant atall, just some brush on paint would be suitable! Thank you

[Edited on 17-06-2014 by Christopher]
Jamie-C

17th Jun 14 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I done my boat up I painted it with normal 2k paint from my paint supplier and anti fouled the bottom, lasted well enough. Mine had a hole in it too, I filled it with expanding foam and fiberglassed over it, definitely listen to someone who knows about these things though
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jun 14 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you put antifoul over the top of it which would be protecting the 2k.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Boat repair? 22 database queries in 0.0059640 seconds