corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Japanese Imports

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Japanese Imports
Norcy91

User status: Offline
   4th Jul 14 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone ever done it? I have a massive craving at the moment for a Nissan 200sx S14 or a Silvia S15! But there isn't a right lot available in the UK market.

What does the process usually involve? Is it more expensive than buying one that's already in the UK?
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jul 14 at 00:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pay some money, wait for a few weeks and hope it doesn't sink in to the ocean.

There are still a lot of companies importing them, not sure I'd take the job on myself unless it was a particularly special car, particularly cheap.
Jamie-C

4th Jul 14 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been thinking about this myself for my next car, would love a AE86 Corolla, plenty of them over here but there starting to ask silly money for them now, 10k plus some are which is daft.

Don't know nothing about the process off bringing them over though , think you can just leave it someone elses hands and they do all the work
RichR
Premium Member

4th Jul 14 at 03:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having seen how POVs (privately owned vehicles), which includes imports, are treated on car carriers and in port storage, I'd never own one. 6-8 weeks on a top or open deck exposed to all the spray and weather that can be thrown at them would put me off.
RichR
Premium Member

4th Jul 14 at 03:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless it's containered that is.
Wrighty

4th Jul 14 at 03:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldnt you just approach an import company like one thats selling them on pistonheads and ask if they are getting any in? End of the day they are gonna have to sell cars on anyway so they wont buy bad examples

good luck finding an s15 they are rare to start with. cracking cars with a few mods though
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th Jul 14 at 05:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Torque GT Ltd are meant to be very good.

MX5 Project Thread
BarnshaW

4th Jul 14 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep as above, Torque GT are meant to be good, there are some good companies, heard SVA are also meant to be good, few people on the subaru site recently imported them without issues

Taken from another thread on a site on recently from someone who done it, their costs below

This is my costs mate importing with jm-imports
Our agent costs/fees associated in Japan

Auction Fees or Dealer fees

De-reg customs Charges in Japan to cancel plates

Transport to Docks from auction our dealers.

Shipping to the UK via Hoegh Autoliners

Marine Insurance

*( £1215 this fee can increase pending location of car in Japan)

The UK side costs are also fixed to a certain extent.

UK Port Charges = £125

Transport from Docks to Jm Garage = £75

MOT costs = £60

UK fog light Fitted = £60

Mph Speedo Conversion = £150

DVLA Reg costs = £260

UK plates = £30
Norcy91

4th Jul 14 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies! I've looked around loads of sites, turns out there's a company based in York, so not too at from me. May give them a call and see what they say
Aleex

4th Jul 14 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TORQUE GT are top guys, very friendly & helpful
Corsa_Sport21

4th Jul 14 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keighley Trade Centre.
Robin
Premium Member

4th Jul 14 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Generation

4th Jul 14 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate used torque GT few weeks ago? To get a skyline
Norcy91

4th Jul 14 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

AndyCorsaSport

4th Jul 14 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Keighley Trade Centre.

Rather walk and drag my balls across sandpaper all way to work every day that buy a car from them.
Corsa_Sport21

4th Jul 14 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah stay clear of them.

Think they are now called Motorhub,
Norcy91

4th Jul 14 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, all the cars I've seen them advertise online always seem a bit suspect! Hardly ever say what the mileage is because it's no doubt extremely high! Seem to have the same cars for sales for a few months as well
micra_pete
Premium Member

4th Jul 14 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91
Thanks for the replies! I've looked around loads of sites, turns out there's a company based in York, so not too at from me. May give them a call and see what they say

DCY?

They are pretty helpful lads, I've bought from there. Had some issues with a car but they sorted it, took some pressure but they did.
AndyCorsaSport

4th Jul 14 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah, all the cars I've seen them advertise online always seem a bit suspect! Hardly ever say what the mileage is because it's no doubt extremely high! Seem to have the same cars for sales for a few months as well

Few months? Try years
taylorboosh

4th Jul 14 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by micra_pete
quote:

DCY?

They are pretty helpful lads, I've bought from there. Had some issues with a car but they sorted it, took some pressure but they did.

I left a deposit on a mint - rust free - £10k R33 gtr

Got there and put my finger through the sill - also all the interior trim was goosed

Id steer clear
Rob R

4th Jul 14 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought my DC5 from Torque GT, Mike the owner is one of the most helpful blokes ever and after sales service is second to none
Toby
Premium Member

5th Jul 14 at 06:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
Having seen how POVs (privately owned vehicles), which includes imports, are treated on car carriers and in port storage, I'd never own one. 6-8 weeks on a top or open deck exposed to all the spray and weather that can be thrown at them would put me off.

Simple answer to that is don't send it RoRo. Obviously it's going to be more expensive but by the time you have factored in haulage to and from port it can start to negate the additional cost.

I would recommend you go via a reputable company who import regularly but if you want to go alone to cut down on the premium you pay for the aforementioned, I could get you a rate for shipping it over from college ting the car over their to delivery to your property over here Inc all assistance with customs etc.
taylorboosh

5th Jul 14 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Such a mine field - no where would even guarantee a running rx7 when i looked

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Japanese Imports 23 database queries in 0.0137420 seconds