corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Alternative ethernet cabling solutions

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Alternative ethernet cabling solutions
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jul 14 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem, listed building so can't run trunking up walls etc, as such current cabling is a mess. Single wires going from a switch tacked to the walls straight into the back of the pc

Building needs a rewire but hands are tied as per above. Any ideas? Business scenario so needs to be reliable.

Some ideas: network over power sockets, wireless etc but unsure of reliability or speeds of both
Cavey

12th Jul 14 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd guess Homeplugs would be easiest
John

12th Jul 14 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Powerline over wireless but you'd have to do some testing first. Depending on how it's wired, it may or may not work well (normally works fine).

Wireless just isn't good enough for more than a few things at a time, unless you spend a lot of money.
Aaron

12th Jul 14 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is 802.11ac Wifi available to the masses yet? Could be an option
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jul 14 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's powerline over wireless
John

12th Jul 14 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant powerline as a better choice than wireless.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jul 14 at 23:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotya, what's max speed over power
Dom

13th Jul 14 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No false floors or ceilings you can use for runs?
If the former then you could use raised floor sockets/boxes; if the latter then you can get cabling columns that go between the false ceiling and desk(s).

[Edited on 13-07-2014 by Dom]
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jul 14 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah this place is like hogwarts, oak floor boards and original ceilings
pow
Premium Member

13th Jul 14 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure listed status stops you putting removable trunking down a wall you know...
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 04:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does we've been told to take it off before. Or sink it into the walls and we can't afford that.
Rob_Quads

14th Jul 14 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you use the Hotspot Homeplugs in each room.
Obviously never going to be as good as hard wired but with the hotspot in the room it should be fairly reliable. (and even if one failed you might find the rooms around give enough coverage)
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 07:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah things like that Im going to try I think, first to test is those network over powerline jobbys
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some of these:

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Run cat5/6 drop to each AP, back to a PoE switch, then use a virtual machine to host the configuration software. sorted.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And put wireless cards in all the PCs?

Ian W

14th Jul 14 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my experience, ethernet over power only works well when the power cabling is reasonably modern, they where shit in my parents house but worked great in my apartment, if the building is as old as you say you might find they are not great.

willay
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Run new cables
willay
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
And put wireless cards in all the PCs?

yes, I prefer wired but fuck having that much Ethernet over Power tingz. AP in each room, all connected together using the soft controller. sorted.
Ian W

14th Jul 14 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
some of these:

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Run cat5/6 drop to each AP, back to a PoE switch, then use a virtual machine to host the configuration software. sorted.

Used these myself, they work well and look very

I wouldn't go full wireless on any kind of business network though, isn't fast enough imo
willay
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They sound like a bunch of jokers so it should be fine. dont forget it uses 802.11n so will be pretty quick.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Private school
willay
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how big is the building? how many rooms need wireless? what does their network look like? how many terminals? servers? laptops?

Listed building shouldnt have problems with trunking tbh (though I'm guessing you've been told its a no go?)

And the thing with wireless is you need to plan it properly and have more Access Points then you planned to have, again an educated guess is that its a listed building so it will have thick walls which are not good for wireless coverage.
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Jul 14 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new Cisco "small business" access points like the WAP321 don't need a controller, appliance/virtual/otherwise.

I've just set a couple up, so easy to cluster them together and stuff like that - but I can't comment on their coverage in a building that you're working on.

I certainly wouldn't be using homeplugs for anything more than a couple of point to point connections in a home.

Wireless is fine if you spend more than £50 on an AP, in my experience. Clients without WiFi adapters are a slight inconvenience, but nothing a dongle/wireless card won't sort.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

14th Jul 14 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't even look at EoP, it's certainly not 'business-grade', it's generally problematic and adaptors are expensive to get decent performance which is massively dependant on internal wiring and distance - if you do want to look at EoP however, then TPLink 6010's are currently one of the best options (~£50 a pair).

Personally a wireless network is far better suited to the situation and it'll be easier to support.

Although i'd get a reclassification regarding adding internal trunking to the building - contact the council first as English Heritage are likely to give you the run-around.
John

14th Jul 14 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got loads of EoP in the field. I know it's not ideal but find them to be more reliable than wifi if more than a few people using it.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll