corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Designing for 3D printer

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Designing for 3D printer
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
8th Aug 14 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got given a link to a company that will print stuff in 3D for you, i have decided to try and design a custom vacuum cleaner pipe, Just the plastic bit on the end. So that i have a nice thin end for in the car.

Anyone have any experience of this? Ic an do the 2d drawings if someone can convert them to 3D, i imagine it will be quite simple.
RichR
Premium Member

8th Aug 14 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What format do they want the 3D file in?
3CorsaMeal

8th Aug 14 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.STL is what i can make out, not sure what that is.
Robbo

8th Aug 14 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stereo Lithography...
ed

8th Aug 14 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

STL files are graphics containing polygon data that most 3D CAD packages can export to - it's only use really is 3D printing and are fucking useless for anything else.

I've messed around with various free 3D packages and found them to be varying degrees of shit. It doesn't help when the major players in the commercial world are churning out shit too.

This was one of the ones I had a little bit of success with when trying to do some stuff with a PCB package: http://www.freecadweb.org/

[Edited on 08-08-2014 by ed]
3CorsaMeal

8th Aug 14 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've noticed sketchup has a 3d printing template, not tried it yet though.
ed

8th Aug 14 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I struggled with SketchUp when I tried using it, mainly just because it was a different concept to what I was used to. Think the STL support is some kind of plugin now?
RichR
Premium Member

8th Aug 14 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm out of the office most of next week but if I get a chance, I'll run it through Solidworks for you if ed can confirm it'll output in the correct format.
ed

8th Aug 14 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All versions of SolidWorks will export to STL

For 3D printing go into preferences and set the mesh to fine and if it's multi-body, set it to combine too.
RichR
Premium Member

9th Aug 14 at 07:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There you go Jim, how quickly will you be in a position to send me the 2D? I have 19 working days left in my current job (leave on 5th September) so would need to be done withing that time.
3CorsaMeal

9th Aug 14 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll try do it next week. Nice one. I thought I could design a nozzle that would fit different sized hoover pipes and is ideal for cars.
tom130691
Premium Member

11th Aug 14 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the 3D printing we did at uni and do at JLR, is from catia/solidworks STL files,

should be fine Rich
Balling
Premium Member

11th Aug 14 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Newer versions of Photoshop (CS6 and CC) does files for 3D printing.

I've worked a bit with the 3D work flow and it's fairly easy to grasp, if you have any knowledge of Photoshop.

Rob E

11th Aug 14 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know what kind of printing method and material they are proposing to use?
Rob E

11th Aug 14 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only ask as I run some FDM 3d printers as part of my job. For a part like a hoover nozzle, the slice orientation of the 3d STL model will have a massive impact on the overall strength of the part.
3CorsaMeal

12th Aug 14 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have wondered about strength of it, seen some 3d printed stuff and looks really brittle.

Anyone seen the guy making a 3D spiderman on youtube, he is usingthe 3d doodle pen.
Balling
Premium Member

12th Aug 14 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought about buying that 3Doodler pen for shits and giggles.

Thought about buying one of the home 3D printers as well, but honestly don't have a clue what I'd use it for.

The biggest issue I see with these 3D printed parts right now is that the surface isn't very smooth at all, compared to cast parts.

ed

12th Aug 14 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the technique used and the finishes applied - you could say the same about machined aluminium, it looks like crap coming out the machine but after it's been polished and anodised it looks great.

For example, the centre console of a Bugatti Veyron is 3D printed. It has an aluminium foil pressed onto it to make it look pretty. A load of the parts on that David Brown Speedback dashboard are 3D printed too - they have a soft touch paint applied to them so they look like high quality trim.

As for strength, 3CM, the guys making the parts ought to take care of orientation. FDM (melted plastic layers) or SLA (thin layers of resin fused together) should be strong enough - with SLA you'd need to use the right resin and FDM is usually ABS plastic unless they're using one of these new organic polymers.
3CorsaMeal

12th Aug 14 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Thought about buying that 3Doodler pen for shits and giggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W50GtLrxLyk

Balling
Premium Member

12th Aug 14 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe not then...

3CorsaMeal

12th Aug 14 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

broster
Premium Member

21st Aug 14 at 16:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends how it is 3d printed too, i bet the veyron dash isnt done with a 3d toothpaste tube squirty thing! they really are shit!
ed

21st Aug 14 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It actually is! They're done using FDM which is the squeezy toothpaste method

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Designing for 3D printer 23 database queries in 0.0140512 seconds