corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Hard Drive to TV

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hard Drive to TV
Pop

User status: Offline
14th Sep 14 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey,

I know quite a few of you already do this and I'm looking for some guidance.

Basically, I'm looking to put our DVD and Blu-ray collection onto a hard drive to stream through our TV. Ideally I would want it stored on an external drive. What would people recommend?
dannymccann

14th Sep 14 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've a Samsung 4 series (I think) TV - wasnt marketed as having any sort of HD support I dont think but it has USB ports so I hooked up my 360GB external with a few pics and music on it and it all worked perfectly fine - believe there was an AVI file on there (MPEG4 possibly) and it played that too.

You say stream though, does that mean wirelessly? I have no idea what that would entail

Might be trial and error? (if you want to bodge it obviously, there will be some hideously complicated and expensive solution no doubt!)

[Edited on 14-09-2014 by dannymccann]
Pop

14th Sep 14 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have Apple TV so could load it to ITunes and network it; however, I don't really want to be connecting a hard drive to my laptop every time I want to watch something.

I may be able to connect a hard drive either straight to my TV or through an AV receiver
jacko198

14th Sep 14 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could do it with a PS3?
Dom

14th Sep 14 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Firstly, see if you're TV supports playing from media/storage drives and has a USB connection; secondly, if it does, then what media and formats does it support; thirdly, use a decent 'portable' external drive that doesn't require an external power supply; and fourthly, rip all your films (if you want to stay 'legal') using a combo of MakeMKV and Handbrake to a format that the TV supports - most recent TV's will support MP4/MKV containers and H264 codec for video with MP3/AAC for audio etc.

If you fail at the first hurdle then you're going to need a media player. If your Apple TV is a gen one or two (i believe it's only the recent third gen that hasn't been unlocked) then you can install XBMC/Kodi, in which case you'd just connect the external drive to your Apple TV (or stream off a NAS if you have one). Otherwise look at WDTV's or perhaps a Raspberry PI (isn't quite plug and play though).

[Edited on 14-09-2014 by Dom]
Pop

14th Sep 14 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the responses, I will have a look at what format it can support.

New Poll