corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 4k storage devices?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 4k storage devices?
Tiger

User status: Offline
12th Oct 14 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was working with some guys filming 4k the other day, 4k uses 10GB per minute of footage on that particular camera (Canon). My question was, what will 4k movies be stored on? Bluray is 50GB per disc, which equates to 5 minutes footage. 1.2TB for a 2 hour movie.

So what will it be stored on when mainstream media is available to buy?
Tiger

12th Oct 14 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if you multiplied the pixels of 1080p by roughly 4 to get somewhere near 4k, that would still be 200GB approx per movie. Is there even any other types of media storage coming out to cope with 4k?
Gary
Premium Member

12th Oct 14 at 09:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't have thought the storage would be a problem really but what about the transfer rate, 10gig a min is some good going
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 14 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Storage isn't an issue, but what media will you buy your films on lol.

No chance is infrastructure here good enough for downloading let alone streaming
Dom

12th Oct 14 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know the Canon codec but 170MB/s seems a little high for 4K; Reds do that shooting in 6K at 60/70 fps.

But with higher capacity Blurays and H265, storage isn't going to be much of an issue. They'll also stream it but it'll be heavily compressed like 1080/720 is currently on Netflix/Amazon.

Currently broadcasting 4K is an issue due to limited bandwidth on the various platforms (arguably cable networks are in a better position for it) but the change to H265 (from Mpeg2 and H264) and the introduction of IP TV will probably sort a lot of the problems.

New Poll