corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Day insurance for a engine converted 1970's camper

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Day insurance for a engine converted 1970's camper
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jan 15 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've come to the point where I need to get the camper MOTd. To do that I need to get it to the MOT station, which means insurance.

I've phoned Admiral who insure the Alfa and they won't touch it for many reasons.

I've been on dayinsure.com and looked at their motorhome policy who will insure it but state the camper much not be modified (not much help at all).

Any ideas how one would do this? I want to be above board obviously!
taylorboosh

12th Jan 15 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just take a proper policy out? Then cancel? Plus then if it fails you will still have cover
pow
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking I might have to do that anyway you know, just use the cooling off period.
Toby
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or in fairness if it's for one day why just insure it as a standard camper and add it your admiral policy for a week to get it MOT's.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not do it with your existing insurer? I'm with Axa and I can add any car for any period of time online instantly-I'm borrowing Dad's car to go snowboarding in next month, £24.00 for 12 days.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hadn't read your post thoroughly sorry!
taylorboosh

12th Jan 15 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I'm thinking I might have to do that anyway you know, just use the cooling off period.

Deffo do that
Gary
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use Cooling off.

If not, get it on a transporter,imo.
pow
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'll ring the insurance company once I've taken the battery off charge and started it up.
taylorboosh

12th Jan 15 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much is a classic policy anyway? Surely its cheap enough just to have it insured? I mean it must be worth £5-10k?
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jan 15 at 23:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this just to sell it?

Depending how well you know your MOT man, it might be worthwhile having them drive it there if you go and collect him.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jan 15 at 06:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just drive it and risk it tbh
pow
Premium Member

13th Jan 15 at 07:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was kinda going down Steve's train on thought as it's only 5 mins up the road, perhaps getting my mate or Dad to follow me, but then I thought if it fails and I have to take it elsewhere it would be handy to have it insured.

My problem with it is I don't trust anyone else to drive it
Ian W

13th Jan 15 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Drove my Corsa 1.5 miles down the road from my sisters to mine when I bought my house, no MOT or tax so thought i'd do the full set and not bother with insurance either tbh

[Edited on 13-01-2015 by Ian W]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Jan 15 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will the mot station not pick it up?
pow
Premium Member

13th Jan 15 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can drive to and from a prebooked MOT or prebooked repairs for an MOT with no MOT or tax
Gary
Premium Member

13th Jan 15 at 10:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't realise you could do with no tax
kennySRi

13th Jan 15 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
will the mot station not pick it up?

Was going to say the same.

Or just use day insure as a standard car.
tom130691
Premium Member

13th Jan 15 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Drove my Corsa 1.5 miles down the road from my sisters to mine when I bought my house, no MOT or tax so thought i'd do the full set and not bother with insurance either tbh

[Edited on 13-01-2015 by Ian W]

had to do something similar recently on both the corsa and mini
taylorboosh

13th Jan 15 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Didn't realise you could do with no tax

Yea because you cant tax without mot
alan-g-w

13th Jan 15 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From octagoninsurance.com, was the first link I could find to confirm what I thought.

quote:

A lack of MOT invalidates your insurance, making you liable for any costs from an accident.

If you're wanting to do it 100% legit you'll need to trailer it onto private land then MOT it and only then can you legally have car insurance. This isn't checked as far as I know so just dayinsure it as a standard van and be done with the brain damage.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Jan 15 at 17:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a load of shit for a start, the insurer can't legally withdraw their third party cover.

You'd go to court and fight over whether they have the right to recover costs from you. Which given driving to an MOT station to get a test is fairly standard practice, they'd struggle with.

I do agree with the main gist of it - you can't drive around with no MOT and have a claim in the course of normal driving, but I would severely doubt you'd have cover withdrawn just because you didn't have an MOT in force for the journey there.

Otherwise every single person who let the MOT lapse would need to trailer their car from that day forward. Either there's a lot of people flouting that, or its actually fine.

Quite sure if you called them and gave them that specific scenario - ie. putting a policy in place in order to drive there, they'd be OK with it.

Obviously depends on the individual insurer but I can't see it not being industry practice.

Issue here is that he doesn't want a full policy for this job. I certainly wouldn't drive without cover, be a shame to ruin your licence rather than pay to move it.

Surely you must know someone with a trader policy who can do jobs. Shame its not up here, I have quite a few mates would are completely properly covered for exactly that type of job.

Also one other thing - third party cover on a standard policy - I know you typically can't use that exemption for vehicles registered to yourself but what about your old man etc. Technically there needs to be a policy in force before he could do it third party because if he parked up it wouldn't have RTA 143 because his own cover is only for him driving not parking - but don't park?

Yet to see a test case in which that isn't possible.
DaveyLC

15th Jan 15 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
That's a load of shit for a start, the insurer can't legally withdraw their third party cover.

You'd go to court and fight over whether they have the right to recover costs from you. Which given driving to an MOT station to get a test is fairly standard practice, they'd struggle with.

^^^THIS

What ever happens you're covered for 3rd Party..... And most insurers will understand that you need to drive the car to an MOT station and to be fair they can only really void your insurance if the car was blatantly un-road worthy and as Ian says either way you'd fight it in court and more than likely win.
alan-g-w

15th Jan 15 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'That's a load of shit'

'I do agree with the main gist of it'

Very diplomatic of you. I'm only being so pedantic because he's being so pedantic. The obvious answer is to dayinsure it as a standard van, we're talking 100% legal here I thought.

[Edited on 15-01-2015 by alan-g-w]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Day insurance for a engine converted 1970's camper 22 database queries in 0.0198519 seconds