corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another Tax confusion questions (bought a car with tax still on it)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another Tax confusion questions (bought a car with tax still on it)
Gaz

User status: Offline
18th Jan 15 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a car yesterday which needs a few bits fixing up on on it before I insure it for the road.

My old fella seems to think that the tax thats been paid on it (paid prior to the tax change) will now be lost and I need to set it up on the monthly (new) tax system.

My understanding was that if you paid a full 12 months before the tax change, it was valid against the car until the end date of the disc and then you would need to place this on to a monthly direct debit.

When checking dvla.gov.uk, it's taxed but they won't have received the change of owner yet on the v5.

do any of you have any actually experience of this or links to dvla.gov.uk links? I've searched but everything is bringing me back to the same pages which is just checking the tax and not actually telling me what now happeneds
Brett
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's taxed until the V5 is signed over, then the previous owner gets refunded whatever's left.
Corsa_Sport21

18th Jan 15 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tax should still be valid until the v5 is in the new owners (your) name.

It's probably a grey area with nothing solid in black and white to say you should tax it in your name ASAP.

Last 2 cars I bought had an old valid disc so i uses them for about a week until I bought tax in my name.
Gaz

18th Jan 15 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats my confusion, the tax disc is still valid in the window and therefore should be honoured IMO...

so the remaining 4/5 months left on it will simply be swallowed up by DVLA?
Corsa_Sport21

18th Jan 15 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, the registered keeper will get a cheque for any remaining full months.
richardworrall
Premium Member

19th Jan 15 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the reg and make?
monkeytwizzel

19th Jan 15 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to tax it now when you buy the the vehicle.
deano87

19th Jan 15 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree, it is confusing. If it was taxed under the older system, imho it should continue on the old system until the new is in force. Ya get me?
Brett
Premium Member

19th Jan 15 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't that be more confusing?

Tax discs shouldn't be in windows now, all cars are on the new system. It's pretty straight forward, no questions. Dunno why some cars being some way and some being others would be better and less confusing.
pow
Premium Member

19th Jan 15 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once you take overship (ie fill in the green slip) there is no tax on the car
deano87

19th Jan 15 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Wouldn't that be more confusing?

I don't think so. Goes on as normal, less Admin as cars are bought and sold for a bit. By the time the tax is renewed, the new keeper is aware of tax rules and explained during re-taxation. Rather than not being aware and getting caught out.

Wait...what...government probably wants people caught out to earn £££ off fines

Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 15 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Former keeper will get refunded.

Disc isn't valid.

Presence of a disc doesn't mean its taxed.
Gaz

20th Jan 15 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whilst it's mid-month and I need to fix one or two bits on it, it's getting SORN now.

Many thanks for the replies chaps

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another Tax confusion questions (bought a car with tax still on it) 22 database queries in 0.0121231 seconds