corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » SMRC Sports & Saloons Round 3/4 - Knockhill - MONSOON!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SMRC Sports & Saloons Round 3/4 - Knockhill - MONSOON!
AK

User status: Offline
5th May 15 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So here is my 2p worth regarding the weekend.

Started with a spot of testing on Thursday (reverse direction) trackday. Had zero confidence in the brakes (long horrible pedal) and although the handling was better it still wasnt as I'd like it. Engine felt fine but could do with more grunt out of the corners (or Fee's gearbox)

Didnt bother testing on Saturday, but spent a very worthwhile day working on both cars whilst they were side by side for the first time in a long time.

- Bled the brakes - A little air came out.
    - Adjusted the MS Brace - they new MS must be shorter or it wasnt adjusted when the MS was changed which meant the booster/MS/Bulkhead was flexing A LOT!
    - Fitted the wets and borrowed Marcos generator and grinder to make them fit. My wets are the right size for our cars.... and Fees (from GTR) are like monster truck tyres (265 wide, high profile too). In short I took the pain and went with the old worn wets and the bastardisation of my car to get them on. Fee got the new soft wets with less headaches.
    - Backed off the suspension on pure guesswork as never used full wets before LOL

Sunday:

Qualy: I dont mind the wet, and have done ~60s laps on 888's before so was expecting a ~59s lap. I didnt have the laptimer on board so was just guessing and thought I'd done well enough.
Brakes felt better, but needed some changes on suspension and pressures as the car was shuddering/understeering a fair bit on all corners.

The result was 5th on the grid with a 62s lap. Not bad, but as always a bit as I expected more

Race 1:

5th on the grid put me in what I thought was a nice spot for taking the lead off the line (my car can launch really really really well ). Lights went off and got a respectable start with a bit of spin on all 4 wheels but had to slam the brakes on to avoid going through the boot of Paul Brydons M3 that was on pole. This lost a heap of momentum and let Matt Collins back alongside where I cocked things up a bit and went down duffus in 4th. Not great in my car but Fee's would have pulled well with the shorter gearing/VVT and extra 250cc.
Once Matt was in front there was no danger I was going to be able to re-take the position. I couldnt even see him I think we stayed a constant'ish gap apart for most of the race. It got a bit closer when we came across Fee but I ballsed that up as well by putting the right wheels on the grass whilst passing her into the hairpin. New pants please Passed her locked up and nearly collected John Wilson whilst pointing to the left. Collected it together then re-took Fee up the hill. Kinda had to guess where the pit wall was though

In short the race was very hard work and a bit frustrating as I felt I could have lapped a couple of secs a lap quicker (@59s) had I been able to see anything. Fair play to Matt though - in those conditions I wasnt catching him

VID - https://youtu.be/xUU4veG1m4Y

Started 5th, finish 4th with Finlay Crocker, Ali Robertson and Roddie Paterson close behind - I had no idea who was where
Down into 61s laps and speed traps suggest the car has plenty of power or I removed my brain a bit more than wise. 2mph shy of Fee's car on the back straight in the dry :S

Race 2:

Now I knew what to expect with the visibility I think I was more worried Tried some screen treatments but think it made it worse.
Softened susp front and rear and took out 1psi from all 4.

Lined up on the grid with a clear view to the front. Lights went off and I was straight up the outside of Paul in the M3 (centre diff locked )
Ian had a better start in the Evo this time round but I think we were side by side until his extra 200hp came into play Slotted in behind and that was pretty much it for the visibility - GONE! Spent the next few laps going backwards getting mugged into and out of corners If I could only bloody see the corners Im sure I would have been able to do a bit better job of doing anything/smething

Had another brown pant moment passing Fee. Tried to give as much room as possible but dropped both left wheels off the track this time and spat the car right towards her :O

Around lap 8 I worked out why I was struggling with understeer and generally washing wide at all corners - I had bloody left the diff in full lock 50/50 drive. Doesnt look bad in the vids but the feeling was terrible. Wound that right back to about 10% lock and picked up the pace. Too little to late and still couldnt see jackshit.

VID - http://youtu.be/rlmUixvSd34

Hats off to Ali for the pass whilst I was trying to spot whatever was going on in front of me. I didnt even know you were behind until you blared past Your car is soo loud!

60s laps this time but still sure I could have done better P5 and 2nd in class.

As Fee said though I shouldnt really be too disappointed. First race in a few years - car got to the end and built my confidence in it a bit. VMAX on data looks to show it has potential for keeping up with Fee's in the dry too I feel I 'should' have been P2 though with 4wd in those conditions.... thats why I'm disappointed with myself.

I really need a heated screen and better wipers that wipe! Shit preparation on my part

Damage - I think I clattered a kerb (McIntyres) passing an MX5 and the steering is now totally squint. Hopefully nothing too serious and just a re-set on the geo.

[Edited on 06-05-2015 by AK]
BeetleGav

5th May 15 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try PIAA silicone wiper blades and/or carbon collective platinum glass coating
AK

6th May 15 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye, need to sort out a heated screen or something too

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » SMRC Sports & Saloons Round 3/4 - Knockhill - MONSOON! 22 database queries in 0.0107491 seconds