corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » America...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author America...
kz

User status: Offline
5th Jul 15 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been thinking.

I've a sizeable sum saved up for a house deposit, but we're a little way a way yet from actually using it. One thing I've always wanted to do is a trip over to America. I'm thinking if I don't do this soon (before mortgage and kids become part of my life) I may never get the chance, at least not for a very, very long time. I'm 30 years old and haven't been out of Europe yet!

I was thinking something along the lines of going for 3 weeks... 1 week on the west coast, 1 week on the east coast and 1 week in the middle somewhere lol. Sound like a decent plan?

Now I'd be paying for the missus too as she doesn't really have any money saved up. Rough ideas on cost? I don't really mind how much it costs, just would like to prepare myself a bit lol.

Ideally I'd like to get this done within the next 12 months, but it doesn't matter when. Looking for recommendations on the best time of year to head over there and where to visit and what to do really! Thanks.
RichR
Premium Member

5th Jul 15 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Along with the missus, we spent around £5k in 6 days in New York for my 30th but we extremed everything and could definitely do it cheaper if we went again. It's certainly easy to spend more than you intended to - that said my kid sister did summer seasons at Camp America and traveled through Hawaii and most of the western seaboard for 6 weeks for much less than we spent on a few days in New York so you can very much do it on a budget as well and still go to great places.

[Edited on 05-07-2015 by RichR]
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Jul 15 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We normally spunk over 5k into the States but it can be done much cheaper.

I wouldn't feel pressurised into traveling about a lot either, maybe do two places and go North and South rather than East/West IMO for a better diversity.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
kz

5th Jul 15 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was expecting around the £5k mark and it seems that'd be roughly what I'm looking at then. It's kind of annoying that the two places that always stuck in my head as magical places is New York & California, seeing as though they're complete opposites ends! I love the idea of driving from one to the other lol, but in reality I don't think it's feasible for the kind of trip I'm after.
Generation

5th Jul 15 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done about 3k each in total going to New York.
Done 3 different sports events, all the main attractions and was out all day everyday.

Similar situation to you, I went this January and loved it

1k of that was hiring a car and driving to Philadelphia that day cost about 1k of that.

I wouldn't go on a budget though, do t properly or save more until you can.

Good discounts in January, which would give the Mrs time to save and pay for herself

[Edited on 05-07-2015 by Generation]
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 08:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
I was expecting around the £5k mark and it seems that'd be roughly what I'm looking at then. It's kind of annoying that the two places that always stuck in my head as magical places is New York & California, seeing as though they're complete opposites ends! I love the idea of driving from one to the other lol, but in reality I don't think it's feasible for the kind of trip I'm after.

Both epic places, but the 3000 odd miles of driving will just eat too much of your time. I know the Route 66 thing is a popular holiday idea and people really enjoy it, but it's a LOT of driving and you'll only be seeing places for hours rather than days.

A week in NY and a week in Cali with a flight between would be much more sensible.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Marc

6th Jul 15 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No ones mentioned this yet - How big is your deposit and if you spend however how much to go on holiday how long will it take you to get back to where you were?
Aaron

6th Jul 15 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off to Vegas, San Fran and NY in November for 2 weeks in all. Hotels and flights have come to about £3.9k. Spending money will be about £4k

Portfolio.
P1CK4D

6th Jul 15 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where do all you lot book your holidays?! You seem to spend an absolute fortune.

I've recently just come back from Florida and it cost me £2250 for 20 nights, villa, hire car, all the Park tickets and spending money.
Ian W

6th Jul 15 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
Where do all you lot book your holidays?! You seem to spend an absolute fortune.

I've recently just come back from Florida and it cost me £2250 for 20 nights, villa, hire car, all the Park tickets and spending money.

This is what I am planning on booking in September for next year - who did you book through?
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Missus is a teacher so we get bummed by holiday prices

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
sc0ott

6th Jul 15 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to Florida on the 21st sept for 2 weeks.
Staying on international drive in a 3* hotel.
Booked through Barrhead travel but we found it on Expedia. Cost between 1300-1400. Flying with United airlines. Direct flight from Edinburgh to Newark then on to another flight to Florida.
Orlando flex ticket and discovery cove pass paid for separately.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what hotel scott?

how much were your park tickets?
Aaron

6th Jul 15 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Where do all you lot book your holidays?!

Expedia.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

costing me around 1700 for florida next year.
hotel upgraded seats and park tickets

then 1300ish for spends
sc0ott

6th Jul 15 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hotel enclave and suites iirc.
We only booked about a month ago so not sure what the prices would be like next year compared to the date we go.

Orlando flex plus ticket was 219 each and the discovery cove I'm not sure, probably about 260 or whatever they go for.
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
We only booked about a month ago so not sure what the prices would be like next year compared to the date we go.

Orlando flex plus ticket was 219 each and the discovery cove I'm not sure, probably about 260 or whatever they go for.

Did Enclave Suites a few years ago. Nothing to write home about but decent for the cash and probably one of the best locations in Orlando

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
oJNAo
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went skiing in California in April 2 years ago at Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley resorts for 5 days then spent 2 days in San Francisco, around £1500 for myself I think for the total trip.

San Francisco is really good to visit, Golden Gate Bridge, shopping all day then had a meal at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. restaurant on Pier 39.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott

if you can cancel it I would

weve got every park plus disco swim ticket for £330
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 19:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also enclaves is ok. the coooked breakfast upgrade is worth doing. needs updating inside the hotel.

we nearly ended up there next year but paid a little extra for the sonesta suites
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

6th Jul 15 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

discovery cove ultimate package
universal 3 park ticket

that gets you Universal, Islands of adventure, wet n wild, discovery cove swim, sea world, aquatica, busch gardens

ours is £330 for when we are going
Joe

6th Jul 15 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

California has it all, do New York on a separate trip.

Coast, cities, national parks, theme parks etc. really is an amazing place.
kz

6th Jul 15 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One thing I have to see is Alcatraz, got obsessed about that for a while actually! The missus wants to go San Francisco anyway so kind of makes sense. I wouldn't mind not getting everything done, and going back years down the line. Just as long as I get a sizeable taster

Regarding costs... one way I'm looking at it is I got of some of my money from an inheritance. It was meant to be around £10k, but in the end I got £16k so I kind of feel like I have £6k 'extra' and I'm sure he would have wanted me to spend it on something I really wanted to do.
Russ

6th Jul 15 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol at 5k you bunch of pussies.

i'll wait for whitter45 to turn up and show you what you to spend on a holiday - pro tip - prepare your cheque book and your anus
Russ

6th Jul 15 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sc0tt - discovery cove is pointless unless you go all in balls out dolphin experience

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » America... 23 database queries in 0.0201581 seconds