corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT stations

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT stations
--ToM--

User status: Offline
13th Jul 15 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone work in one?

If so have you or do you know of anyone who has switched to the new system yet? I had vosa on today and apparently I'll be up and running on the new system Thursday.

Luckily Iv allready purchased a new monitor, printer, tower, keyboard and mouse and have wifi set up in the garage, just wondering if anyone knows what the crack is with setting it all up and switching over etc, I'm not very good with computers and don't want to balls it up and not be able to test for days on end lol.

Cheers
craig55

13th Jul 15 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as I'm aware vosa supply computer and printers or is that changing now
--ToM--

13th Jul 15 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's changing you have to supply all your own equipment, hence why Iv had to buy it all, and you have to have wifi connection as it's all wireless not dial up any more which is good! I just have to set it all up before Thursday and am a bit worried as I don't know what to do hopefully someone has done it all ready
Andrew

13th Jul 15 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not in the motoring trade but I do work in IT.

I assume you will require the mot software. Have you checked what os that the mot software needs to run? Does is require x86 or 64-bit? Do you need Windows 7 or is the software supported on Windows 8.1. How much disk space do you require, how much RAM etc

[Edited on 13-07-2015 by Andrew]
Dee25790

13th Jul 15 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ all of that was gobbledegook to me hahaha
--ToM--

13th Jul 15 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same haha, if Any of it is relevant to my initial query I'm fucked, I hope Iv bought a computer that's going to work, don't know if it's a programme or just online like a webpage
J100RSA

13th Jul 15 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not got a change over date yet but I've claimed my account
ShEp

13th Jul 15 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Computers arrived today, haven't set it up, and won't be, don't have a qualified tester at the moment,
--ToM--

13th Jul 15 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only got given my change over date today, but last miniute I thought!

Shep take it you don't do many tests a day? I'm panicking I won't get it set up quick enough as I do a lot of tests and can't afford to have the system down for days :/
Jambo

13th Jul 15 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be different now but aren't the computers locked by the DVSA so you can't mess with it? No idea of its software locked with some kind of admin passwords or something. Might have changed now.
ShEp

13th Jul 15 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
I only got given my change over date today, but last miniute I thought!

Shep take it you don't do many tests a day? I'm panicking I won't get it set up quick enough as I do a lot of tests and can't afford to have the system down for days :/

We don't do any, Place has been open 4 years and only done 5 tests

I've just taken over managing it, and will be looking to kick start it again, but other stuff to get sorted out first.
--ToM--

13th Jul 15 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell so the mot lane doesn't exactly pay for itself then lol? I do on average 6 a day Id say sometimes but rarely less and often upto 8 along with loads of servicing/repair jobs too
--ToM--

13th Jul 15 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Might be different now but aren't the computers locked by the DVSA so you can't mess with it? No idea of its software locked with some kind of admin passwords or something. Might have changed now.

Think so yeah but this new set up involves supplying your own computer and it's online I think, bit like taxing a car online Id say, except obviously only s nominated tester can actually log in and do a test, it's to get rid of the old system and dial up etc I think, hopefully it'll be wuicker too, my printer now is so slow, and the descriptions on the RFR section are so dated!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
14th Jul 15 at 00:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't just be wireless - unless you mean you also get a mobile internet device then you'd also need an internet connection of some sort to the computer. Which would mean you wouldn't then need a wireless network in the workshop.

If you get stuck I can pop over and take a look, or Andrew might want the job although he's a bit further away these days.

[Edited on 14-07-2015 by Ian]
--ToM--

14th Jul 15 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ian !! If it all goes wrong I'll give you a shout lol
Mattb

14th Jul 15 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's supposed to be a website as far as I'm aware. Last I heard you log in with your user id, password and a code generated by a card thingy that they are supposedly supplying. Saw some screen shots of the website so that's an almost certainty
nathy_87

14th Jul 15 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick Google came back with this site: https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/switching-over-to-the-new-mot-system/

and this Video for testers: https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/video-modernising-the-mot/
pow
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Web based, interesting. Chromebook do the job there?
--ToM--

14th Jul 15 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think Iv sussed it today got a guy on the phone from vosa to talk me through it all, just need to move it from one office to my mot office now and should be reet, cheers for help chaps
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Jul 15 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bent mots?
ShEp

14th Jul 15 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Bloody hell so the mot lane doesn't exactly pay for itself then lol? I do on average 6 a day Id say sometimes but rarely less and often upto 8 along with loads of servicing/repair jobs too

Hasn't paid for the keyboard for the computer yet, let alone the whole bloody lane, it's a bang up to date single man station too.
--ToM--

14th Jul 15 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bent mots are illegal Johnny

Bloody hell shep, 40k set up that then? That's what ours cost but it's paid for now took 3 years, you need to get it up and running, Liscence to print money
ShEp

14th Jul 15 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh I will, we need the work that it generates too.
--ToM--

14th Jul 15 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine could generate more, I do a lot of trade mots which is good for constant work but bad for generating work for myself lol I don't get as many repair jobs as Id like
antnee

15th Jul 15 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the new system is basically a web based system which also gives testers the option of entering information while doing the test via a tablet? (Even though it can be difficult to use a touch screen with gloves on)

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT stations 22 database queries in 0.0225439 seconds