corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DIY Remapping?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DIY Remapping?
Steve X16XE

User status: Offline
27th Jul 15 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been looking at buying some sort of diagnostic machine and now looking into a laptop. Most of them are advertising the fact that they can remap cars. So why do people bother with paying many hundreds of £'s when you can just get a laptop/software to do it all?
taylorboosh

27th Jul 15 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because if you do it wrong ....... Knock knock bang
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cost of a dyno and other equipment to do it probably will normally trip you up
Steve X16XE

27th Jul 15 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can you "do it wrong"? Genuine question.
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve X16XE

What is your interpretation of mapping? What do you think is actually done to the car? Answering those will probably answer the "how can you "do it wrong"?" question.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

This laptops will allow you to put on generic maps written by someone else. If you want to custom map it's a lot more in depth.
Pete_vxl

27th Jul 15 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did this when I had an Astra GSI. Bought a KWPRO off eBay and bought a stage 1 map from a guy on another website.

Pretty dodgy and mental thinking back on it. As long as you save your standard map then you should be ok. My laptop froze once whilst mapping and the car wouldn't start. It was just a case of restarting the laptop and uploading again.

My car cut out once whilst driving so I put the standard map back on and left it there.
Steve X16XE

27th Jul 15 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
What is your interpretation of mapping? What do you think is actually done to the car? Answering those will probably answer the "how can you "do it wrong"?" question.

From fuel to boost (turbo'd cars). Ignition timing... Brain not working. Can't think of anything else right now.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then you'll need a different application and you'll need to learn about checksums. Unless you have an aftermarket ecu it's not that simple.
Steve X16XE

27th Jul 15 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
This laptops will allow you to put on generic maps written by someone else. If you want to custom map it's a lot more in depth.

I'd rather do/learn to do custom remaps. That way you'd know it'll be right and the other guy hasn't missed anything.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant do a custom map without a dyno and shit loads of other equipment.

jesus wept
BarnshaW

27th Jul 15 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

custom maps will require much more detail, AFR's etc, its dangerous ground if you dont know what you are doing, last thing you want is a shit map and it running lean and the engine imploding.

Most mappers have det cans, AFR, EGT sensors etc and have years of experience, not something you really want to scrimp on unfortunately.

Might be able to get away with it more in the turbo diesel cars, more forgiving and alot of generic maps which are meant to be not half bad.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
you cant do a custom map without a dyno and shit loads of other equipment.

jesus wept

Yes you can. It can be road mapped.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes true
Robin
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mine myself with my laptop.
Robin
Premium Member

27th Jul 15 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest, a generic map which you get for a couple of hundred quid is perfectly possible at home with not a lot of equipment.
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

28th Jul 15 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a base map on my ECU that I've altered and actually improved the way the engine behaves. Spent a couple of evenings with a mate doing a road map. My software makes it very easy to monitor everything going on in the engine though.

If I didn't have a base I wouldn't be as inclined to try it. I found it pretty fun to do though.

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
DaveyLC

28th Jul 15 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Not sure if TROLL?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DIY Remapping? 23 database queries in 0.0204802 seconds