corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » HELP! How to flush coolant on 1.4l 8V MPi?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HELP! How to flush coolant on 1.4l 8V MPi?
dave17

User status: Offline
6th Jul 03 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey,

I decided to service my '98 Barina myself, it's got the same 1.4l engine as the Corsa 8v SRi. I changed the oil - that was fine, but then I looked at the coolant, it has gone a dark red/brown colour....uh-oh..... It's probably never been changed (Damn Holden ), so I'd like to know how to change the coolant myself, unfortunately Hayne's manuals for Barinas are near impossible to find here in Australia so that's not an option........

To drain - Is it just a matter of disconnecting two main hoses on the radiator, one from the expansion tank and the other from the engine head? I've heard I might have to disconnect a temperature switch on the thermostat or something to be able to fill the coolant fully after flushing? This is what I really need to know!! Don't want to be in a situation where I'm unable to fill it up again!

Thanx for any replies!

[Edited on 06-07-2003 by Dave]
miles

6th Jul 03 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just Disconnect the the bottom radiator hose, drain. I then stick a hose pipe in the expansion tank and run it through a bit.

Then put the pipe back on and fill it up, leave it running for ages until the fan comes on with the filler cap off. Whilst doing this squeeze all the coolent hoses to get rid of any airlocks.

You can bet that the water will probably be dirty again now, due to the shit that sticks in the system. The more times you flush it the cleaner it will get.
Black Corsa SRi

6th Jul 03 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL i've just siad pretty much exactly the same thing to comabt SRI lol!
dave17

6th Jul 03 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanx for the quick responses guys!

Confirmed what I thought was the right procedure, I'll give it a go tomorrow morning....Judging by the lovely dark brown colour of the coolant at the moment, I'd say it's gonna have to be flushed a few times b4 it comes back clean!!

Cheers,

Dave.

[Edited on 06-07-2003 by Dave]
Kris TD

6th Jul 03 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its probably dark brown cos it hasnt had enough coolent in at some point in its life, coolent has a rust inhibitor in it which should stop the water going brown.
dave17

6th Jul 03 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's what I figured, rust buildup.....although if memory serves, I'd reckon it's only gone that colour in the last month or so, so it was fairly rapid change from green to brown. I'm hoping it isn't escaped oil, because it used quite a bit of that since the last change too.....

No doubt all will be revealed when I drain it tomorrow!

New Poll