corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » bump stops for towing caravan help to stop wheel rubbage?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bump stops for towing caravan help to stop wheel rubbage?
KITcorsa

User status: Offline
   29th Jul 03 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are things called bump stops that you can buy that are rubber and fit between the coil of the sripngs! this stops the car from going down as far on the springs!! these are used mainly for if you tow a caravan to stop ya car from bottoming out!!

think if you fit these between the coils of your lowering springs these could be used to help stop wheel rubbage!!

any one tryed these???

[Edited on 05-08-2003 by KITcorsa]
GLSi GUY

29th Jul 03 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

normally poeple chop, or replace with smaller bumpstops, so they can get their car lower.

if you have wide wheels, and they scrub on the arches over bumps, then you can put larger bumstops on :-)
Ant

29th Jul 03 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would work but can be an arse to fit depending on what shox u have
KITcorsa

5th Aug 03 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reading the instrutions on the back of a box of these in my local car shop say,

"raise the rear of the car and measure the gap between the coils of the springs" then you just buy the according stops to fit the gap. there is a massive rage of sizes.

was talking to my father about it and he said they are a doddle to fit, simple rack up the car take off the wheel put the bump stops in hot water to soffen them (add a bit of washing up solution to give little lubractaion) and then just simple squeeze them between the coils of the springs and refit the wheel etc and repeat on the other side!
KITcorsa

5th Aug 03 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the rubber between the springs does not effect the high of the car (or ow low the car is) as you are getting the stops to fit the lowering springs so car will sit at same hight! all they do is stop the springs from being compressed as much and stop you from bottoming out.

ment to be used for towning as the waight of the trailer or caravan compresses the spring, but i dont see why not they cant be used to help wheel rubbage!
Bart

5th Aug 03 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think i need these! my car keeps bottoming out when going over bumps, being lowered 60mm on 17s.(with arch work already done)
KITcorsa

5th Aug 03 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what arch work you had done mate??

i wonna know if any one has actally tryed these! they are only like £15 for my local car shop for a set!
Bart

5th Aug 03 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a fair bit of arch work! i mite get these, only £15 worth a try. i cant really do much more arch work so these are the next alternative
Icy

5th Aug 03 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv got spax ones on
jaffa

5th Aug 03 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have bump stops on dunno if they work well or not cus i had them fitted when i had the car lowered
mike16v

5th Aug 03 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the caravan ones raise the back of the car, wots the point lowering your car to fit these and raise it back up???
Kris TD

5th Aug 03 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used to use em, they make the springs go funny shapes though, your better off sticking longer bumpstops in the rear shocks like i have done now.
SportBoy

5th Aug 03 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to have them on me first car ... they work tho
KITcorsa

6th Aug 03 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not talking about the bump stops that fit the shocks! im talking about a rubber wodding that fits between the coils of the springs.

i dont see how fitting them will raise the back as you measuse the gap between the coils of your springs and buy the correct size to match!
Kris TD

6th Aug 03 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you seen the gap between lowering springs, its like 4 mm, they dont do them anywhere near that small. i had em and yes they do raise it a bit, get the ones for shocks, hey are much better and u can cut them to the right size too.

New Poll