corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Newquays Artificial Reef.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Newquays Artificial Reef.
Tiger

User status: Offline
30th Jul 03 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your views - Do you think it should go ahead or not?

quote:
Quoted From http://www.a1surf.com:

The proposed scheme for the artificial reef shows the situation at various states of the tide. If you do the sums, you will realise that the proposal is for 50 thousand tonnes of estuarine sand and gravel to be deposited in Newquay Bay, just below the low water mark of Great Western and Tolcarne beaches. This material to be contained in bags with a lifetime of only 25 years. It sounds like a long time, but, believe me, its not. Will the bags withstand the winter storms of the North Atlantic for 25 years? Will they withstand even a vandal armed with a Stanley knife? What will be their ultimate fate?
Whilst the credentials of the engineers involved are impressive, we should be concerned that conditions in Newquay are very different from Narrowneck on Australia's Gold Coast (not Sydney, thanks for the correction RW). First of all, the tidal range in Newquay is of the order of 25 feet. That is a lot of water. So we have to consider two distinctly different situations:

Low water - waves carry a lot of water towards the beach. This usually escapes sideways, making its way back out to sea at intervals along the beach, forming rip currents. On a smooth beach, these tidal rips are in a state of constant change, and are not permanent features. With a fixed reef however, there will be strong rip currents either side of the shoreward ends of the reef. Because the reef's position is fixed, these will gradually erode the sand away to form a pair of deep channels, or until bare rock or boulders are exposed.

High water - the nice little animation on the reef Web site shows smooth water, with a fishing boat harvesting the oceans bounty. What happens to the waves? Answer, they do not roll straight in towards the shore as before, but are 'bent' inwards as they pass over the reef, and interfere with each other where they meet. If the reef is positioned as proposed, then the beaches at Great Western and Tolcarne will never again be suitable for holidaymakers to bathe in, and enjoy the rolling waves that brought them there in the past. It will either be a maelstrom of intersecting waves apart from a couple of hours either side of low water, when there will instead be a flat lagoon bordered by deep channels and permanent rip currents.

The important decisions concerning the reef should not be dominated by those who stand to benefit the most commercially. This is probably one of those few occasions where it is important to let the people decide. Now, I am not an oceanographer by trade, so my concerns may be unjustified, but the consequences of getting it wrong would be with Newquay for decades. Lets hope that the feasibility study funds have been spent on addressing the technical concerns, and not just on a pretty Web site and an analysis of the benefits to big business.
One positive alternative might be a smaller scale reef, on a trial basis, that could be removed if the effects on the environment proved damaging. The other change would be to site the reef between Tolcarne and Lusty Glaze, where there are cliffs on the shoreward side of the reef, and not a popular holiday beach.

I should make it clear that these are my personal views, and that provided the technical issues can be satisfactorily dealt with, I believe that this reef would indeed bring in the revitalisation of Newquay that it so badly needs, and together with the Eden Project and Rick Stein's efforts in Padstow, substantially reverse the economic decline we have seen in Cornwall during the past 20 years or so - "

[Edited on 30-07-2003 by Tiger]
Super_si

30th Jul 03 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes
Tiger

30th Jul 03 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it should too - BUT - its way overcrowded there at the best of times - i think it will be even worse if a shed load more people start going there. I wont go to Newquay for that reason - its far too overcrowded.
Super_si

30th Jul 03 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But the eden project isnt that over popular
antscorsa

30th Jul 03 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey man im going tomoz mate, when u thinkin go going
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
30th Jul 03 at 18:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Overcrowded? The town may be busy at times but it's still far from capacity where imported spending and economic health is concerned.
Tiger

30th Jul 03 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok - i was swinging more toward the sea being overcrowded from a surf aspect. I dont think Newquay itself suffers from lack of tourism though. Last time i went down there the sea was so crowded that it simply wasnt even worth getting my board out - i cant be the only one who wont go there simply because of the sea being overcrowded and the surf being non-surfable anymore.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Newquays Artificial Reef. 22 database queries in 0.1394532 seconds